DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Understanding Vegas disc usage. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/144658-understanding-vegas-disc-usage.html)

Michael Threadgold February 26th, 2009 07:50 AM

Understanding Vegas disc usage.

Hi,
I,m going to replace my PC with an I7 system. Talking to the builder he understands the use of separate drives for 'capture' and 'render as'. (with OS on another and a storage drive). But when I suggested a fourth drive for other Vegas tasks ie.pre-render etc., he wanted to know how Vegas works. As I am not computer-patable I would welcome some help.What exactly is happening when you place a clip on the timeline? If it is creating some kind of reference point then does this help or hinder the use of that drive when it comes to rendering out.
Dare I say keep it simple please. Mike

Edward Troxel February 26th, 2009 08:01 AM

Just dropping a clip on the timeline will do nothing disc-space wise. If you do pre-render, that will go into your "temporary" folder, whereever you have that assigned. Similarly, when rendering, the temporary folder may be used - this is especially true with DVD Architect.

If you're having a separate drive for renders, I don't see a big problem with putting the temp folder on that drive too. In fact, I'd guess that a huge number of people have their source files and renders on the same drive.

Jeff Harper February 26th, 2009 08:59 AM

I agree with Edward. I will go a step further and say that using multiple drives for every little Vegas process is unnecessary and a waste of your resources.

I use a separate scratch or "work drive" for working on my project to which I also render, and my renders are very fast. A drive for rendering, IMO is a waste of a disc.

Of course, the work drive usually has no other files on it other than the project I'm working on. Occasionally I will have a second smaller project on the same drive if I'm sneaking a quick project in between projects.

I have a 150GB Velociraptor for OS, and then I use a 300GB Velociraptor as the work drive. I do weddings and 300GB is more than sufficient size wise.

I use a slew of 1TB drives for backup and storage.

The process I use is I capture to 1TB storage drive, then back up files to another 1TB drive for safekeeping.

When I'm ready to work on the project I move a copy of the video files to the 300GB work drive, which is where I render to as well. As I work on project I save my project files twice, once to the work drive and to one of the storage drives.

Yes, I do end up with three copies of the video files. But after having lost a set of .avi files once and having to recapture, I vowed it would never happen again, and knock on wood, it hasn't.

Terry Esslinger February 26th, 2009 01:32 PM

Jeff,
Where do you have your Vegas etc programs installed? On the 150GB OS drive or on the 300 GB Work drive?

Edward Troxel February 26th, 2009 01:37 PM

Vegas should be installed on the OS drive.

Jeff Harper February 26th, 2009 04:14 PM

Yes, as always Edward is right.