DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q1Q2) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/17111-vegas-video-discussions-2004-q1q2.html)

Paul Jason February 26th, 2004 08:31 PM

Fading between two tracks

I am trying to fade between two different video tracks. I can simulate what I want to do by pulling down and pushing up the opacity line while the video is playing on the top track. How do I get this to do the fade where I want when I want?

Don Bloom February 26th, 2004 10:05 PM

Paul,
You can "pull the corners" of the clips or events on the tracks to adjust the opacity of the events so they will fade in and/or out.
Don

Edward Troxel February 26th, 2004 10:22 PM

Naturally, it's easiest if you put them both on the same track and then overlap them. However, it they MUST be on different tracks, just fade out the ending one while fading in the beginning one. As Don said, just move the mouse to the upper outer corner (beginning or ending depending on which clip) until you get the quarter moon icon. Then click and drag toward the center of the clip.

Gary Kleiner February 26th, 2004 11:23 PM

Actually you should fade out the topmost media and don't worry about fading in on the lower one.

Gary

Tor Salomonsen February 27th, 2004 01:44 AM

If you want to resume the upper track i.e. letting the other track just fade in and out again, you can split the upper track. (Select the event, place the cursor and hit the key s. You may want to click "Ignore event grouping" before you do that. Otherwise you'll split all video and audio events currently grouped with the one you're fading.) To get the new edges exactly where you want your fades to end/begin, just click-drag them.

John Gaspain February 27th, 2004 05:58 AM

B&W to color over time?

This is probably the simplest question to ever hit the board, but im baffled.

I want to do a transition from black&white footage to color footage smoothly over the time line.

Any help?

Thanks,

John

John Gaspain February 27th, 2004 06:01 AM

Yup Peter is right, movie DVD's are not HD.

Or you could however save the footage as a data DVD and do it that way, You could watch it on a PC.

Tor Salomonsen February 27th, 2004 06:31 AM

One simple way to do it would be to have the media on two tracks - one colour, one B&W above, then fade the upper down to reveal the lower.

Tor Salomonsen February 27th, 2004 06:35 AM

However (having finally bothered to check it out) the simplest is to use the keyframes in the B&W FX.

John Gaspain February 27th, 2004 06:49 AM

Thanks Tor,

Ill have to try these out, The keyframes is something im ignorant to as well, so I guess ive got some studying to do!

John Gaspain February 27th, 2004 06:59 AM

Ah ha, that was easy. Keyframes that is, 2 minutes to figure out how to do...2 months I waited to ask how to do it!

Paul Jason February 27th, 2004 07:32 AM

Thanks for all the information. I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes.

Edward Troxel February 27th, 2004 08:48 AM

Keyframes: One of the most important concepts to learn to take editing to the next level.

First keyframe at the beginning: B&W. Second keyframe at the end: color.

However, this WON'T work in ALL cases. For example, if you wanted to go from plain to embossed, there's an embossed option you can pick. However, the transition between the two goes through some really strange steps. In this case you need to render an embossed version and then use a standard fade to go between the two.

Edward Troxel February 27th, 2004 08:50 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Gary Kleiner : Actually you should fade out the topmost media and don't worry about fading in on the lower one.

Gary -->>>

The ONLY time this has NOT worked for me is if the upper clip has transparancy (usually a title in my case) or the clip does not fill the full screen. So, there ARE times when the lower one need to be set to fade in.

Law Tyler February 27th, 2004 09:51 AM

Thanks, good to know DVD cannot support beyond 480x720.

I guess there is really no point then to shoot in HD, 480x720 widescreen is the furthest to go.

Is there some kind of HD DVD coming soon? Presumably in a few years, every one would have HDTV.