DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q1Q2) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/17111-vegas-video-discussions-2004-q1q2.html)

Edward Troxel March 23rd, 2004 10:58 PM

You need to install the MPEG2 codec on the other machine. MPEG2 is not standard.

Edward Troxel March 23rd, 2004 11:46 PM

Based on newsletter subscriptions, I can say there are MANY Vegas users in Australia.

Shane Schmidt March 24th, 2004 12:18 AM

Thanks Edward,
The spot is a 30 second advertisement that will be projected from a PC using Power Point at a local theater chain. Installing the MPEG2 codec might not be an option in this case (not sure how many theaters as of yet).
Would MPEG1 be acceptable in this use?
I did notice some serious degredation when I rendered it to mpeg1.

My last moronic question; where would I get the MPEG2 codec?
Is it on my Vegas CD? (I should know this, huh)

Rob Lohman March 24th, 2004 01:59 AM

Edwards suggestion is excellent. This is exactly what I did for my
Lady X episode. I put a mask on one track above everything else
and almost every scene has been moved slightly lower or higher
underneath this mask with pan/crop tool. Works PERFECT.

Perhaps you've accidentily keyframed something?

Ian Stark March 24th, 2004 03:27 AM

That's interesting. I've been asked to investigate embedding a small segment of video in a PowerPoint presentation that will be distributed around the client's business partners - all of whom are using PowerPoint but with almost inevitable system differences.

Is there a "safe bet" format that would offer the highest probability of successful playback from PowerPoint/different versions of Windows etc?

Rob Lohman March 24th, 2004 03:27 AM

No it isn't on your Vegas CD. Most MPEG2 codecs in use today
have been installed by a software DVD player like WinDVD or
PowerDVD.

MPEG1 should be supported on all systems out of the box. It
does have a bit lower quality indeed. Not much around that
I'm afraid. You might try increasing the bitrate a bit.

Ian Stark March 24th, 2004 04:00 AM

Thanks Rob. Experiment time!

It will be run from a CD/hard disk anyway so size isn't an issue.

Edward Troxel March 24th, 2004 08:27 AM

You might also investigate formats such as WMV as well. With a high bitrate, they can also look quite good.

Bryan Roberts March 24th, 2004 12:13 PM

Can someone repost Edward Troxel's 24p conversion Film Look plugin?

Just what it says. I'm in a rush and a director friend of mine needs to make her music video she shot for a NYC band on a Panny DV953 to look less videoie and more 24pish. The thread only has a broken link for the script now.... thanks in advance!

Edward Troxel March 24th, 2004 12:19 PM

It's still there. You may be looking at an OLD link. Here's the current link:

http://www.jetdv.com/scripts/RC3_VegasFilmLooks.exe

Voytek Stitko March 24th, 2004 12:40 PM

how to mask 4:3 for 16:9?

HI,

I just purchased DVXA Pal!

1) Anyone can tell me how can I be sure how much should I mask 4:3 LCD screen for 16:9?

2)Does Vegas have this 'drop" option?

Thanks for help,

Voytek

Jon Omiatek March 24th, 2004 12:58 PM

Picture to video problems with Vegas 4.0

I resized my pictures to 655 X 480 and when I watch it on TV it cuts off some of the picture. When I watch it on my computer I can see the whole image. I know I don't have the same res on my tv that I have on my computer but I must be missing something. I have a plasma tv and a normal analog tv and it cuts it off on both.

Any ideas would be helpfull.

Thanks,

Jon

Edward Troxel March 24th, 2004 01:08 PM

The part you are missing is in the "safe area". TV will always show less than the computer does. Push the button that looks like # above the preview window to see the safe area lines.

Bryan Roberts March 24th, 2004 01:10 PM

Thanks so much Edward, I guess I was looking at the old link! We can make the rush to fedex this puppy off today now. Cheers!

Jon Omiatek March 24th, 2004 01:32 PM

Edward,

Thank you for the tip. I fit my picture in the square, outer square and it only cuts of a tiny part of the photo. If I reduce it to the inner square it shows the whole picture but has extra room. Is there a size that will fill the whole tv screen? I have played with the safe area to try to get it fill the whole frame with no success. What book would you recommend for a how to on vegas 4.0.

Thanks,

Jon