DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas Pro 9 available for pre-order (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/217964-vegas-pro-9-available-pre-order.html)

Michael Wisniewski April 24th, 2009 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Jasany (Post 1129784)
Vegas is the only app that's keeping me in the PC world. If it weren't for Vegas, I probably would switch to a Mac laptop for my next PC, which is not far off...So, that's my dilemma with upgrading to Vegas 9.

Same here, the only reason I still have a PC around is Vegas and Acid. But Sony is notorious for only making software for PCs, so I doubt we'll ever see a Mac version. In the end, that's what is making me seriously balk at the upgrade to Vegas 9. But the Vegas Pro Production Assistant is keeping me in the game. The listed features are very cool for the stuff I do.

John Cline April 24th, 2009 09:27 PM

It's not a simple matter to just port something over to the MAC, particularly something as involved as an NLE. Vegas is and always will be a PC application, it relies heavily on the underlying Windows APIs. Porting it over to the MAC would require a complete rewrite and that just isn't going to happen.

Brian Luce April 25th, 2009 03:27 AM

I have Vegas 6. How do I upgrade to 9? Do I have to buy 7 and 8?

John Cline April 25th, 2009 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Luce (Post 1133009)
I have Vegas 6. How do I upgrade to 9? Do I have to buy 7 and 8?

No, you can go straight from v6 to v9.

Edward Troxel April 25th, 2009 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yang Wen (Post 1132840)
Anyone know if Vegas Pro 9 will now allow velocity ramp up/down greater than 300%?

It works the same as previous versions. You can go up to 300% using a velocity envelope. You can go up to 400% using the playback rate (either right-click the clip and choose Properties or hold down the CTRL key while resizing the event). Plus you can combine the two to get up to 12x at once.

Jon McGuffin April 25th, 2009 08:57 AM

I think most people here are misunderstanding those of us who are 'complaining' about the features in this release..

From what I can tell, nobody is really complaining that the features added are useless.. I'm perfectly happy to see RED support, support for larger images (Gigapixel images? How many is that anyway compared to my 10 "mega"pixel cameras resolution?), and a new grey interface that can be easily manipulated... Nobody here has a problem with those additions..

The problem is that when SCS has a major product release and this is ALL that you see in the update, features that mostly don't apply to the majority of users, many of us are scratching our heads...

Jon

Mike Kujbida April 25th, 2009 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon McGuffin (Post 1133100)
...support for larger images (Gigapixel images? How many is that anyway compared to my 10 "mega"pixel cameras resolution?)...

One guy on the Sony Vegas forum read that it's 40K x 25K.
Here's a link to one to give you an idea of the size and zoom capability :-)
Here's the Wikipedia definition of a gigapixel image.

John Cline April 25th, 2009 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida (Post 1133181)

That's correct, 40,000 times 25,000 = 1 billion

Gigapixel images (or just really large panoramas) are easy to create using "AutoPano Pro" or the CS4 version of Phtotoshop. Although, I much prefer AutoPano Pro. You just take a bunch of overlapping images, throw them at the program and it will automatically and seamlessly stitch them together into one large image.

AutoPano Pro - Panorama stitching software - Panoramic photo software - image stitching

Jon McGuffin April 25th, 2009 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida (Post 1133181)
Here's a link to one to give you an idea of the size and zoom capability :-)
Here's the Wikipedia definition of a gigapixel image.

hehe, jeeez... I'm really glad they added support for this. :-) 150 TIMES!! the resolution of a 6 megapixel camera... What that probably tells me is that Vegas is likely to handle all still images better than before which is good... It's just not what I have been waiting 15 months for...

Jon

Simon Denny April 25th, 2009 10:54 PM

Have you zoomed in and checked out the wall of media and also the cameras on the tower. It looks really cold where ever this was shot.

Ian Stark April 26th, 2009 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Ash (Post 1133316)
It looks really cold where ever this was shot.

Wild stab in the dark, but how about January 20th 2009 on the West Steps of the US Capitol, Washington DC?!

Eugene Kosarovich April 26th, 2009 03:26 AM

I've seen requests for preview improvements mentioned a number of times in this thread. And I certainly agree that's needed.

Well, that was a big thing actually mentioned at NAB. I even talked with one of the SCS engineers for more details about it. They are still using Video for Windows, but they now have optimized multi-core/multi-CPU rendering for the preview display. He said it would improve preview a lot on new quad core machines, and he even felt it would make a noticable difference on my ancient dual-Xeon hyperthreaded machine.

On the dual-Quad machine I played with there, it was playing 4K RED footage in a 2K project perfectly smooth for me at Best (full).

Simon Denny April 26th, 2009 04:00 AM

Yeah Ian, as soon as I posted I thought about it.

Cheers

Keith Paisley April 26th, 2009 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eugene Kosarovich (Post 1133356)
I've seen requests for preview improvements mentioned a number of times in this thread. And I certainly agree that's needed.

Well, that was a big thing actually mentioned at NAB. I even talked with one of the SCS engineers for more details about it. They are still using Video for Windows, but they now have optimized multi-core/multi-CPU rendering for the preview display. He said it would improve preview a lot on new quad core machines, and he even felt it would make a noticable difference on my ancient dual-Xeon hyperthreaded machine.

On the dual-Quad machine I played with there, it was playing 4K RED footage in a 2K project perfectly smooth for me at Best (full).

that's great to hear - I'm hoping this makes editing native 5d footage on the timeline that much easier. I purchased neo scene and it helps a lot, but if i could skip that step it would speed things in my workflow immensely.

Ian Stark April 26th, 2009 09:17 AM

>>>optimized multi-core/multi-CPU rendering for the preview display. He said it would improve preview a lot on new quad core machines<<<

At last an improvement that I REALLY want and would upgrade for - when I've seen other users' confirmation that it makes a noticeable difference, of course!

Simon - sorry mate - couldn't resist!