DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Scrubbing in Vegas? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/22058-scrubbing-vegas.html)

Neboysha Nenadich February 27th, 2004 08:47 AM

Scrubbing in Vegas?

Well, hello to all you people...
U know, I've been here for a while finding lots of useful information on the forum but this is my first thread on dvinfo.net, yeah... :)

Let me go straight to the point...
The question is how do you scrub in Vegas? (or do u scrub at all?)

with ctrl+cursor?
I find this way very unoperative because it goes much faster and faster if you move mouse to left or right more, and after few moments, if you are not VERY careful - whhhhshhhhh - cursor is gone far, far away... :/

Theat "ease-in" and "ease-out" with crtl+drag cursor is driving me crazy... Is it somehow adjustable? You simply cannot do it left-right FAST.

It is very easy to do in Premiere... You drag cursor left-right a little bit where you want, then you can quickly move it to another place and do another scrub left-right to check audio and video... Speed of scrubbing is defined by speed of your mouse movement left-right...

Any thoughts, tips, techniques about this will be appreciated...
If it is not clear what I mean, I can do a screen capture to show you.

thanx in advance!

Tor Salomonsen February 27th, 2004 09:29 AM

The keys j-k-l will do it for you. Hit one several times to pick up speed. Set the speed factor in preferences.

Graham Bernard February 27th, 2004 09:32 AM

Contour Shuttle Pro .. .

You can try the J,K,L keys .. and that which you are trying .. but the long and short of it . .IS to get a a Scrubber device . .I use the Contour SHuttle pro .. it woks .. it's great .. it's slick and it's got buttons too!!

Neboysha Nenadich February 27th, 2004 09:58 AM

thanx for replies folks...

I am just experimenting with JKL keys...
okay, it is far better than ctrl+dragging but unfortunately still not good and smooth like in premiere...

Scrubber device?
hmh, tell me, what is the cheapest solution that can be useful for me?

Edward Troxel February 27th, 2004 10:40 AM

There are already a variety of ways to scrub. I usually use the JKL keys - especially if you want multiple speeds. However, the enter key and space bar can also be used to play at normal speed. You can also use the scrub head on the left side below the track headers. Frequently, I'll just click and drag which DOES create a region. However, I have "collapse region" set so a single click afterwards will remove that region. Finally, I also use the Shuttle Pro. It is very handy for this function.

Graham Bernard February 27th, 2004 11:57 AM

The Shuttle Pro is great for using the Inner Wheel to go frame by frame. It all seriousness, really the Shuttle Pro is now the ONLY way for me .. I do a lot of graphic stuff within my work and not not having this option NOW would be unthinkable .. . The Outer Wheel helps you accelerate up to 20x in the twinkling of an eye and the inner wheel lets you immeadiately, and I mean immeadiatley, creep frame by frame . . . . marvellous!! Yeah, I did tink it was an extravagance prior5 to purchasing it .. but when I saw it at a Video Show 1 year ago discounted by some 25% I thought, okay, gotta do it!

Regards,

Grazie

Harry Settle February 27th, 2004 02:32 PM

Shuttle Pro

Stephen Warriner February 27th, 2004 03:16 PM

You are not going to get scrubbing like it is in Premiere.

Graham Bernard February 27th, 2004 03:52 PM

Why? Is it better in Vegas? - Yeah, guessed as much . . . Grazie

Edward Troxel February 27th, 2004 04:12 PM

People coming from Premiere seem to like Premiere's method better. I've never used Premiere for a comparison so Vegas' method has been fine to me.

Kevin Lill February 27th, 2004 04:53 PM

I like the scrubbing method used in DVD Architect. Left click anywhere in the timeline and drag back and forth. Maybe that is what Neboysha is speaking of.

It would be nice to have that option in Vegas5.

Aaron Koolen February 27th, 2004 06:02 PM

Yeah that's how Premiere does it and it's great. Same as Avid. Just click on the timeline and drag left and right and no stupid region is created.

I've sent in enhancement requests for at least an option to change to the Premiere/Avid style but, well how likely is it really?

I'm going to be getting a Shuttle Pro soon.

Aaron

Graham Bernard February 27th, 2004 11:41 PM

Aaron you wont . . look back?

Grazie

Neboysha Nenadich February 28th, 2004 08:20 AM

yeah, Vegas is great piece of software, this is only thing that bothers me...

The only solution I found that is similiar to Premiere scrubbing (but just for video, not for audio) is to make small region... When you drag that region you then have preview of picture as you are dragging your mouse.

Heh, it seems that people that get used to Premiere's way of scrubbing have problems to get into approach that Vegas is offering... However, who started with Vegas obviously have no problems with this issue
:)

Edward Troxel February 28th, 2004 09:42 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Neboysha Nenadich : Heh, it seems that people that get used to Premiere's way of scrubbing have problems to get into approach that Vegas is offering... However, who started with Vegas obviously have no problems with this issue
:) -->>>

I think you hit the nail on the head. I never used Premiere and have no qualms. However, I can understand missing something you've used in the past.