DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas equivalent to FCP 8 pt garbage matte. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/236481-vegas-equivalent-fcp-8-pt-garbage-matte.html)

Brian Luce May 31st, 2009 10:57 PM

Vegas equivalent to FCP 8 pt garbage matte.

I have some footage to key, I want to get rid of the boom mic etc. In FCP the 8 point garbage matte masks it out, what's the name of the tool in Vegas 7 that does that?

Anyone know of a video tutorial on the howto?

Ken Campbell May 31st, 2009 11:22 PM

In Vegas you go into the pan/crop tool. On the bottom where the timeline is there is a check box for a mask. Check that and grab the pen tool and outline your subject with greater accuracy.

Brian Luce May 31st, 2009 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Campbell (Post 1151584)
In Vegas you go into the pan/crop tool. On the bottom where the timeline is there is a check box for a mask. Check that and grab the pen tool and outline your subject with greater accuracy.

Found the mask box, where's that little ole pen tool?

Graham Bernard June 1st, 2009 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Luce (Post 1151592)
Found the mask box, where's that little ole pen tool?

What full name version of Vegas7 are you using? Have you CHECKED the Mask Square? Do you see a CHECK tick?

On mine there is a column including the "Show Properties" Icon and Pen Tools. If you don't see the Properties hit the "Show Properties icon or slowly drag this column edge of the workspace "edge" inwards.

Once you have ALL these Properties showing, then select the Pen tool and click on the Workspace area and you will then see all the Pen Tools Properties coming into play.

Grazie

Brian Luce June 1st, 2009 01:18 AM

I have version 7.0a vegas pro. I don't see any pen tool under "show properties".

Graham Bernard June 1st, 2009 01:57 AM

Have you checked the Mask Box?

Grazie

Graham Bernard June 1st, 2009 02:02 AM

You are on Vegas 7a - V7 finished at 7e - you may want to consider upgrading to the final free iteration of Vegas7? Up to you.

Grazie

Brian Luce June 1st, 2009 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham Bernard (Post 1151622)
Have you checked the Mask Box?

Grazie

Okay, i was looking for something actually called "Pen tool" but it's called "Anchor point creation tool". So that works easily to outline my subject. So once outlined, how do you get the mask or matte to take effect? I'm still seeing a light stand and mic in the preview window despite the subject being haloed by pan and crop.

Graham Bernard June 1st, 2009 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Luce (Post 1151637)
Okay, i was looking for something actually called "Pen tool" but it's called "Anchor point creation tool".

Had you checked the Mask box? It would seem so. It is an "Pen" Icon. Did/had you seen that previously? The "Pen" Icon?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Luce (Post 1151637)
So that works easily to outline my subject. So once outlined, how do you get the mask or matte to take effect? I'm still seeing in the preview window despite the subject being haloed by pan and crop.

What do you mean "haloed" and is the "What I want to get rid of the boom mic" what is that compared to the "...light stand and mic"?

Grazie

Brian Luce June 1st, 2009 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham Bernard (Post 1151640)
Had you checked the Mask box? It would seem so. It is an "Pen" Icon. Did/had you seen that previously? The "Pen" Icon?

What do you mean "haloed" and is the "What I want to get rid of the boom mic" what is that compared to the "...light stand and mic"?

Grazie

the mic is over head and a light stand off to the side, with an 8 point garbage matte in fcp you could easily remove that. wat are the basic steps?

Graham Bernard June 1st, 2009 03:45 AM

Is an 8-point garbage matte 2 squares of Matte? Meaning one matte with 4 points and another square of 4-points? Is that what you mean?

Grazie

Graham Bernard June 1st, 2009 03:46 AM

If you send me a Still I'll send you a VEG in Vegas7.

Grazie

Graham Bernard June 1st, 2009 03:49 AM

In Vegas you get a "hole" when using this process. If you have underlying media it would show-up in the holes. Are you saying FCP fills the hole with an alternative option?

Grazie

Brian Luce June 1st, 2009 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham Bernard (Post 1151643)
Is an 8-point garbage matte 2 squares of Matte? Meaning one matte with 4 points and another square of 4-points? Is that what you mean?

Grazie

I have a woman in front of a greenscreen, you can also see the mic overhead, and the light stand on the left. I DO NOT want those objects in the shot, so it was suggested to me that I try the pen to draw an outline around the subject therebye removing the offending and superfluous objects and have clean key. Right now, I have an outline around the subject. What are the next steps?

Ken Campbell June 1st, 2009 03:57 AM

Hi Brian, once you have outlined the subject, and closed the circle, you should be done. Just get out of the pan/crop tool and go back to the timeline. Your boom should be gone.

The masking capabilities are really powerful in Vegas and rivals those of After Effects. You can do full blown rotoscoping in Vegas. And the tool is really flexible as you can also do negative masking. For example, you could also outline just the boom mic and then choose the negative mode, which will keep everything except what you selected. You can even have many masks inside and each with different modes. With Vegas you are only limited by your imagination!