DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Another Premiere vs Vegas testimony (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/238525-another-premiere-vs-vegas-testimony.html)

Paul Fierlinger July 6th, 2009 11:40 AM

Another Premiere vs Vegas testimony

This from a German animator friend of mine who I got hooked on Vegas:

NEVER AGAIN !!!!

Never go with Premiere! We had terrible problems throughout the semester students were buffeted by Premiere. Many crashes and problems with importing XCam-footage or even DV and the editing. Finally Premiere raised [erased] parts of the file the students were working on and automatically made the same with the backup files (automatic backup !). Two groups couldn't finish and were much frustrated. Editing work done in weeks all raised !
For my own project I was also switching from Vegas to Premiere because I thought it would be easier for me while having to teach Premiere. I thought that the two students groups made some mistakes but than it happened also to me. But I was in luck - my backup-HD was offline.

Friday I told and showed these issues all to my colleagues and now they all want Vegas asap.

Peter Manojlovic July 6th, 2009 01:05 PM

Of course, as an instructor, you looked into WHY the crashes were happening?
You were editing HD without any 3rd party apps?
You researched that Premiere needs proper setup, just like any other NLE?

I can understand the odd bug that shows up, but to have a crossboard fit, get angry with the app, and call it quits, is a little premature...

I understand venting at the application's nuances, but generalizing your complaint, it doesn't further your cause...

Jeff Harper July 6th, 2009 02:33 PM

Actually Peter, it wasn't Paul, he seemed to be quoting a friend.

Paul Fierlinger July 6th, 2009 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Harper (Post 1167946)
Actually Peter, it wasn't Paul, he seemed to be quoting a friend.

True. But since my friend owns Vegas and likes it, he probably wasn't too motivated to be lenient towards Premiere's problems. I can't blame him; I've worked with both myself.

Jeff Harper July 6th, 2009 04:58 PM

I don't work with Premier, but I know two Premier users who wouldn't switch. One of them is among the best cinematic videographers in the area.

I have played with it, and it was a bit difficult to learn, I gave up. For example I drag and drop my video clips onto the timeline, I never use explorer, and that is impossible with Premier. Vegas is SO user friendly.

Peter Moretti July 6th, 2009 05:47 PM

I'm sorry but testimonies about incessant crashes, not even being able to edit HDV and random deleting of files point to something else going on.

They speak to the install of Premiere. Vegas will work on any computer and Premiere is more finicky. But there is no way that Premiere was correctly installed on a properly configured computer. If Premiere were that bad, no one would be using it.

Nicholas de Kock July 6th, 2009 07:38 PM

I love Vegas! :)

Mark Holmes July 7th, 2009 12:22 PM

I installed the latest version of Premiere CS4 trial and had very similar crashes (not to mention being shocked at what a PITA "workflow" Premiere required) and jumped right back to Vegas. Sometimes you don't know how good you've got it 'til you stray...

Jeff Harper July 7th, 2009 12:25 PM

Actually Paul, your friend's problem with hard drives being erased would seemingly have nothing to do with Premier.

That makes absolutely no sense whatsover.

Paul Fierlinger July 7th, 2009 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Harper (Post 1168381)
Actually Paul, your friend's problem with hard drives being erased would seemingly have nothing to do with Premier.

That makes absolutely no sense whatsover.

I'm not sure he's saying that the HDs were erased but parts of the files his students were working on. I remember this happening to me a few times when I edited with DPS. This has also happened to me when my graphics application crashed (while beta-testing) but I've never had it happen to me with Vegas. Vegas is actually pretty amazing with its backup system. I think if that wouldn't be working so flawlessly, we'd be all experiencing catastrophic loses of entire files during crashes.

Dale Guthormsen July 8th, 2009 10:08 AM

Good Morning,

I still use premiere, but due to issues i found frustrating I moved to vegas. Permiere has its place but Vegas has truly won my heart. 8.0c has been so stable for me I almost never have a feeeze up or crash. I also have truly enjoyed the new work flow and the ability to use envelopes has been great, once I cottoned on to the overall usage of them. and, the audio is pretty terrific to work with as well.

I have elements and pro premiere and find myself using them less and less.

that doesn't mean premiere is not a good program or worth using. the problems mentioned above sound like computer problems to me more than anything.

Jeff Harper July 9th, 2009 11:34 AM

Paul, I personally back up my project files each time I save them, once every ten or twenty minutes. So then I have two copies of the veg file at all times on different hard drives.

I am not sure but I don't know if you can save project files with Premier in more than one location using the save as command. You might have to actually copy the whole folder to back up.

At any rate, I cannot imagine not having a back up copy of all my video and project files at all times. I cannot imagine teaching others and not drilling this into their heads. To me it should be the first thing you would teach people learning how to edit, but that is just me.

In a teaching enviornment there are likely not backup hard drives available, but I would teach them the principle of backing up anyway.

Except in extroadinary circumstances, such as a fire, you should never have to lose your files.

Paul Fierlinger July 9th, 2009 01:10 PM

Well, he teaches animation and we animators have a different work flow than live action vidiographers. Apparently he teaches his students to backup since they lost their backups. I have my own experiences with student behavior and one thing I find endemic for that certain age group is that they don't follow directions well and don't learn from the experiences of others. But let's not beat the subject to death; I posted this as a small testimonial of a single person far away -- a voice among many other such voices.

Chris Barcellos July 9th, 2009 01:13 PM

I had Premiere Pro 2 as my main editor. Had been Preimiere user for years. I decided to try Vegas low end consumer editor. Fought it for a while. I had to many options to do the same thing. That didn't fit with my Premiere experience. But I kept trying. Now every time I open Premiere Pro 2.0, I am stunned at how restrictive the Editing process is.

To be fair, I haven't tried CS3 or CS4-- but I get the feeling that GUI hasn't changed that much. The main claim to these appears to be the suite of programs tied together.

I admit I want to get into After Effects, but generally, I will not leave Vegas's GUI, as I feel it enhances rather than restricts the creative process.

Jeff Harper July 9th, 2009 01:17 PM

I found the same issue Chris. Restrictive is the best word to describe it. Things I do every day and take for granted are often not even possible with PP, such as dragging and dropping files onto the timeline from a windows folder rather than from within Vegas explorer. They seem like small things until you can't do them.