DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   need need a Vegas workflow apprenticeship alternative (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/240020-need-need-vegas-workflow-apprenticeship-alternative.html)

Clark Peters July 30th, 2009 11:35 AM

need need a Vegas workflow apprenticeship alternative

Background: I jumped in to the deep end of the pool. I spent a couple years doing simple projects with miniDV and simple NLEs like iMovie. Then I bought an EX1 and Vegas because miniDV just didn't cut it. To this point, everything I do is just for my own enjoyment.

My question: Is there a resource (book, web site, DVD, etc.) that explains HD editing workflow from beginning to rendering (with as many specific details as possible?) I'm getting a little tired of randomly trying things.

I have checked the JetDV site, youTube, and this forum.

I also have DSE's Vegas 8 Editing Workshop book. It does a good job of explaining the bits, but I need to know how the bits fit together. For example, when (if) do I use an intermediate codec? (and how?); when do I prerender subsections?, plus a few dozen other questions that show just how much I don't know and probably should.

Thanks.
Pete

Chris Barcellos July 30th, 2009 11:47 AM

Rule 1: Get Intermediate codec from Cineform. It will maximize your editing experience on many levels. ( Not sure if EX is supported by the $ 129 Neo Scene)

Rule 2: Edit just like MiniDV editing, but expect some limitation on Preview play back. With your preview set to highest level and with multiple edit tracks, you will not likely get full playback capability. You can step through a scene frame by frame if you want to see how things will look.

Perrone Ford July 30th, 2009 10:00 PM

While I really dislike the idea of pushing Cineform as a cure-all, it really is a very good solution for a number of issues when it comes to editing HD in Vegas. The .AVI wrapper just leaves very few decent options when it comes to effective codecs.

That said, NeoScene is not listed to support XDCamEX, but NeoHD is. Unfortunately, NeoHD is $499. A bitter pill to swallow if you've just forked out $599 for Vegas. I went in a different direction for an intermediate format but don't recommend it for most because of it's slow speed in Vegas.

Really, there are two options for cutting HD in Vegas. One is Cineform, the other is the film standard offline/online (or proxy) workflow. Both work well and they have different positives and negatives.

Editing HD should not be very different from editing SD to be honest. There are a few quirks to get used to like the different color spaces, and the fact that it's more demanding on the machine. But fundamentally, it's the same. As you learn Vegas, things will get easier. If you have specific questions, post them here. You can usually get very fast answers. Some of them may actually be helpful! :)