DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   What Did I Do? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/240052-what-did-i-do.html)

Dale Peterson July 30th, 2009 11:28 PM

What Did I Do?

Oh boy, forum noob here needs help.

I'm using Vegas 8.0a, Vista 64 bit, and a Canon XH A1.

I just shot some tests, just over 6 minutes worth. I went to capture in Vegas, and all was working as it should. When I came back into the room, I saw that I had clips Testing100.m2t through Testing743.m2t so I was worried right away. I now have 643 individual m2t files for my quick test. (It was a single shot, although I did change settings, I never paused or stopped, if that matters for this). The shot was 24F, my changes were aperature, shutter speed, etc...

When I drop the clips on the timeline, there is a small gap between each frame, and I have no audio (Just me talking of the camera settings using on cam mic, and playback on the cam is fine, audio included.)

Somehow I clicked on something, but I have no idea what I did. How did I lose the audio and end up with 643 m2t files with a gap between each file on the timeline? Please let me know what other info I can post to help out.

Thank you!

Chris Barcellos July 30th, 2009 11:42 PM

Sounds like an issue with the firewire cable or hard drive you are capturing to.
Do you have another firewire cable. Are you capturing to a USB drive ?

First thing I would do is download HDVSplit (free capture utility) and try capturing through it. See what you get there.

Dale Peterson July 30th, 2009 11:52 PM

Currently using the same physical drive for capture as where Vegas is installed. Camera is connected via Firewire, and the drive is internal. I used this same setup less than a week ago with a 1.5 hour capture...

Dale Peterson July 31st, 2009 12:12 AM

I ran the capture again. I must have had the wrong project settings (which I thought I double checked), because with the new project at 23.976 I don't have a gap when I drop the m2t files on the timeline. I'm still getting 600 files, so that is next.

I'll add a second drive and see if that changes anything....

Perrone Ford July 31st, 2009 12:16 AM

Check this setting:

Open Capture utility. On the menu click Preferences. Capture Tab. "Enable DV Scene Detection". If that's checked, turn it off and try again.

[Edit]

Oops.. ignore that. You're in HDV not DV. It's late, and this Nyquil isn't helping me be coherent!

Chris Barcellos July 31st, 2009 12:20 AM

Try HDVSplit. If you can't capture with that, then I am guessing it is a firewire issue- either port or cable.

So I assume your camera or capture device hasn't been switched to convert the output to DV or something like that.

Dale Peterson July 31st, 2009 01:21 AM

All righty,

So I added a second hard drive, no changes. I added a second firewire card, no changes. Then I ran another quick test on a second tape, just in case, no changes. I kept getting hundreds of m2t files. (and, the gap between files "reappeared" even though I know the frame rate settings were correct.)

Next I updated to 8.0c, and now everything is magically back to normal. Single clip, one m2t file, audio is included, etc... just how it is supposed to be. So, although I am obviously glad that this works, I am still unsettled how this happened in the first place.

Even though it is ok for me now, if others have thoughts or similar experience, I'd still like to hear those comments...

Thanks.

Steven Reid July 31st, 2009 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale Peterson (Post 1178997)
All righty,

So I added a second hard drive, no changes. I added a second firewire card, no changes. Then I ran another quick test on a second tape, just in case, no changes. I kept getting hundreds of m2t files. (and, the gap between files "reappeared" even though I know the frame rate settings were correct.)

Next I updated to 8.0c, and now everything is magically back to normal. Single clip, one m2t file, audio is included, etc... just how it is supposed to be. So, although I am obviously glad that this works, I am still unsettled how this happened in the first place.

Even though it is ok for me now, if others have thoughts or similar experience, I'd still like to hear those comments...

Thanks.

Dale, your experience with 8.0a echoes a concern that I once had and that prompted me start this thread concerning compatibility of Canon's 24f mode with Vegas. An update of 8.0 (b-->c) fixed a capture issue from the XH-A1. Since I also shoot on this cam, I was obviously keen to appreciate that 8.0 captures correctly before I bought all of my stuff.

Steve