DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Strange things Happen When Rendering (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/35029-strange-things-happen-when-rendering.html)

Matt Woodson November 16th, 2004 01:04 AM

Strange things Happen When Rendering

In Vegas When I render in Widescreen settings. My short doesn't turn out to be widescreen. When I render in 24P NTSC dvd arichtect it turns out to be good and in widescreen. All these in mpge 2 file. I shot the short in 24P advance, with a 16:9 adapter on DVX100a, Hmmm. I don't get it. But I'll stick to what looks good, even though I do not know what is going on with the setting and why. At least it's in 23.976.

Properties..
Save as type: Mpeg 2

Template: DVD architect 24p NTSC video stream ( not widescreen cause when I choose that option the video looks smaller and doesn't fill a wide screen.)

Then we go to custom:

Under Project...

Video redering quality : good.. (should this be switched to best?)

then video...

Video type - dvd, ( maybe this should be mpeg2 here?)

frame rate- 23.976 + 2-3 pulldown

aspect ration- 4:3

b- frames - 2

maybe the widescreen that i'm seeing isn't true widescreen?

I also notice that when I go to click on my clips in vegas and go to properties under media in the field order - says None(progressive scan) should stay like that right?

but in the Pixel aspect ratio I have 0.9091 (NTSC DV) should this be 1.2121 (NTSC DV widescreen) even though all my setting are at 23,976 and widescreen, except there. And if yes.. do I have to go right clicking each clip from start to end.

and in alpha channel - none

Kyle Ringin November 16th, 2004 02:07 AM

I'm not sure I follow 100% but as far as aspect ratios go, I'd do the following:

Right click on all your clips and in properties set them to NTSC widescreen (when you shoot with an anamorphic adaptor the camera won't flag it as 16:9)

Set the project properties to NTSC widescreen

When you render, select the preset you want (mpeg2 dvd) and go to the advanced options and set aspect ratio to 16:9 display.

Hopefully that sorts it out.

Matt Woodson November 16th, 2004 02:46 AM

yes yes, thank you...

the thing though it was set up to 1.2 widescreen on project properties but not on the clips... weird.. do not get that.

I'm so happy to hear that, now I know what the mess was...

and also now i can change the aspect ration- to 16:9 correct?
in rendering..

hmm .. also in video type do I choose DVD or Mpeg 2
frame rate 23.976 or 23.976+ 2-3 pulldown ?

video rendering quality good or best?

template: dvd architect NTSC 24p Widescreen? or doesnt matter?

Rob Lohman November 16th, 2004 06:27 AM

template: dvd architect NTSC 24p Widescreen (framerate 23.976)

No pulldown on export, although you should have pulldown in
the project.

The reason you have to set 16:9 on the footage (as Kyle already)
said is that the camera did NOT know the footage was in 16:9.
Remember, you attached a 16:9 anamorphic adapter. How would
the camera know this? It didn't, and therefor it thought it was
still operating in 4:3 and wrote the DV files with a 4:3 flag instead
of a 16:9 flag.

When Vegas imported this it saw 4:3 footage, not 16:9 (that is
normal in such a case). So when you change it Vegas now knows
that it is 16:9 instead of 4:3 and will work correctly.

All the settings should be the same, everything should be set to
24p (progressive, ie 'none' in the interlaced settings) widescreen
(16:9), that includes the media, project settings and export settings.

Matt Woodson November 16th, 2004 02:53 PM

This 16:9 flag.. is that only when rendering under the aspect ration when rendering right. There's no setting for 16:9 to switch in Vegas. Just when I render right? the only thing in Vegas is to put it in widescreen 1.2 on the clips right but no switches to 16:9.

Kyle Ringin November 16th, 2004 04:28 PM

The 'flag' is a part of the dv bitstream that identifies itself as either 4:3 or 16:9. Because you used an adaptor the camera flagged the dv as 4:3. Now you have changed the clips' properties it sees them correctly.

Because you have the project set up as widescreen they will fill the frame.

Provided you check the 'simulate device aspect ratio' on the preview window they will be previewed in the correct aspect ratio (this won't affect the final output though).

When you render to DVD you need to render to widescreen 16:9 and the output will fill the frame and flag the mpeg2 file as 16:9 and full resolution will be preserved.

If you render to 4:3 vegas will letterbox the output and it will still look correct, but will not be anamorphic widescreen and resolution will be lost (defeating the purpose of shooting with an adaptor).

If you use the template Rob suggested: dvd architect NTSC 24p Widescreen (framerate 23.976) it should set everything right.

Hope that answers your question.

Matt Woodson November 16th, 2004 05:48 PM

When I use the dvd architect 24 NTSC widescreen in the template then I go to custom... under video I get 16:9 which is what I want... but under the frame rate I get 23.976 + 2-3 pulldown .. why is that? because when I switch that to just 23.976 and go back I do not have dvd architect 24 NTSC widescreen anymore, the template switches to untitled.

Kyle Ringin November 16th, 2004 07:14 PM

If you change any setting you aren't using the template anymore and Vegas will give you the option to save it as your own template.

As far as pulldown - I am in PAL country so I don't deal with that.
I think you want to remove the pulldown to get your 24fps (or 23.976) stream back from your camera footage, then render as straight 24fps? I thought the DVD player inserted the pulldown when you played it if you made a true 24fps DVD?

I'm sure Rob'll know...

Rob Lohman November 17th, 2004 06:07 AM

I'm pretty sure that the 2-3 pulldown in that way is to add flags
to the MPEG2 file that it NEEDS pulldown to playback properly.
That is also what the 24p Vegas whitepaper kind of says on
page 7:
Quote:

The MPEG-2 "DVD Architect 24p NTSC video stream" or "DVD Architect 24p NTSC Widescreen video stream" template will render 23.976 fps progressive video from Vegas and will use the TFF and RFF flags to create DVD-compliant MPEG-2. When you bring the rendered file into DVD Architect, it will detect it as a DVD-compatible file and will not recompress it.
So in other words you should be fine.

Kyle: just follow our instructions and all should be well. Do some
testing and you should be able to verify this.

If you haven't read the 24p whitepaper, get it from Sony:
http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.co...p2.asp?DID=441

Matt Woodson November 17th, 2004 01:38 PM

Thank you, apriciated this very much!

Matt Woodson November 18th, 2004 12:04 AM

One more thing... I render with audio on right... cause it wasn't on in the rendering options and when I click on the audion and go back.. to press okay.. the template of dvd architect 24 NTSC widescreen disappears.

Rob Lohman November 22nd, 2004 04:55 AM

AS SOON as you CHANGE ANYTHING (which an OK click basically
does as well, hit cancel instead if you haven't changed anything)
in the options of an export the template will disappear since it is
NOT THE SAME anymore!!!

I'm not sure what you mean by "I render with audio on right"....