DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q3Q4) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/4092-vegas-video-discussions-2005-q3q4.html)

Gustavo Nardelli July 17th, 2005 10:34 AM

White Balance - How to correct?

I had a crew hired to shoot my son's 1st birthday party. Somehow, they misbalanced the white balance in one of the cameras and a lot of that footage is looking real bad. Is there a way to correct it in post with vegas?

Don Bloom July 17th, 2005 12:11 PM

http://www.wideopenwest.com/%7Ewvg/tutorial-menu.htm
Billy has some great tutorials here for correction.

Don

Phil French July 17th, 2005 03:17 PM

I tried the dedicated firewire card and it worked! The controls and advanced capture are working properly. A few dollars well spent. Thanks Gary.

Chris Davis July 18th, 2005 07:10 AM

Keep Vegas, sell Adobe?

I've been a Vegas user since version 4, and I love it. About 6 months ago, I was on a real spending spree, and bought Adobe Video Collection 2.5 Standard.

I installed it, and I never use it. Vegas 6 does everything I want and I actually know how to use it (unlike Adobe Premiere...)

Anyway, is there any compelling reason I'd keep this? Otherwise I'm just going to sell it and buy some software I'll really use. I'd just hate to sell it and later find out there are tools in there you just can't live without.

Rob Lohman July 18th, 2005 08:56 AM

Perhaps the audio tools (audition) can do some things that Vegas can't do,
other than that I can't really see any benefits...

David Jimerson July 18th, 2005 09:48 AM

No reason not to keep After Effects. It will do quite a bit that Vegas can't.

Allan Phan July 18th, 2005 11:13 AM

Surround sound, vegas or dvd architect?

Forgive me if this has been asked before

So I started out with 5.1 surround sound project in Vegas 6b. Rendered as MPEG2 and imported to DVDA 3b to build menu. When I hit "Make DVD" I have an option to choose the Audio Format and by default Stereo was selected. What should I do? I want my surround sound to stay intact. Do I change it from Stereo to 5.1 surround?

Please help.
AP

Edward Troxel July 18th, 2005 11:53 AM

Did you export the 5.1 audio as AC-3 from Vegas? If not, you need to do that and use that file for the audio.

Chris Davis July 18th, 2005 12:19 PM

Hmmm... I do like Audition. Maybe I should try learning how to use After Effects and then decide. Perhaps between those two products, it will be worth keeping.

Hugh DiMauro July 18th, 2005 02:15 PM

Chris, I'm in the same exact boat you are!

I have both and bought Adobe Video Collection because I experienced (allegedly) unrepairable rendering issues with Vegas 6.0 (and Sony told me Vegas does not support 64 bit O/S, HA!) Anyway, I solved the render issue and now also have both programs. I have no intention of sending back Adobe because Photoshop CS and After Effects are well worth having.

My two cents worth. Only send it back if you can't feed your pet turtles without the refund.

Kyle Ringin July 18th, 2005 05:39 PM

If you rendered a dvd compliant mpeg with audio, your 5.1 audio will have been downsampled to 2ch. As Edward said, you need to render the audio to a seperate 5.1ch ac3 file.

While the normal practice is to render an mpeg with no audio, and then render the ac3 to a separate file (unless you also want a 2ch track as well), I just thought I'd mention that to save another lengthy mpeg2 render, you can simply open your project and render the ac3 file, then open DVDA and just replace the audio with the ac3 file - much quicker (provided bitrates, etc are all ok, which they probabably will be).

David Jimerson July 18th, 2005 05:52 PM

Well, he gets a lengthy MPEG render either way -- either he renders a new, DVD Architect-compliant MPEG from Vegas, or DVDA re-renders the video when it prepares the DVD.

I'd go with Vegas, because for the most part, any time you make a change to the DVD (fix a typo, reorder the menus, etc.), it will have to render the video AGAIN (though, as Ed Troxel pointed out elsewhere, DVDA3 does a little better with this). Render it from Vegas, and you render only once.

Ian Slessor July 19th, 2005 11:37 PM

Two tracks of video overlapped.

Hi all,

I'm working on a dance recital video and I have each camera (I used two) on a separate track.

What I've noticed is if the upper track is playing there is a "ghost" of the lower video track that shows in the preview. I've checked to ensure that the top track's opacity is at 100% but there are still faint "ghosts" of the other track visible.

What I've had to do is cut the bottom track so that they only overlap as the dominant track fades out or in.

Is this ghosting effect the "nature of the beast" so to speak or can I do something other than going back through the video and ensuring that there is no overlap between video track one & two?

Thanks for the help.

sincerely,

ian

Edward Troxel July 20th, 2005 07:13 AM

Perhaps you changed the compositing level of the EVENT. You do that by moving the mouse to the top edge of the event, clicking, and dragging down. It's really noticable if you have a fade in/out as the curve will not go all the way to the top of the event. If that's the case, just click on the "line" that appears on the event and drag it back to the top of the event.

Ian Slessor July 20th, 2005 08:30 AM

Well, that's embarrassing...

Hi folks & Ed especially,

Well, I'm messing about with the various settings and I focus on the compositing button and go through the various settings and then I notice, quite by accident, that the slider to the left of the compositing button for the event (my top video track) was slightly off of 100%.

D'oh!!!

Thanks Ed for the clues that pointed me to the culprit which was, um, me.

*sigh*

sincerely,

ian