DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   What to do with older Vegas (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/465964-what-do-older-vegas.html)

Fred Foronda October 18th, 2009 02:20 AM

What to do with older Vegas

Upgrade to 9. I have 6, 7. Sitting on the shelf collecting dust. What do you guys do with the older versions. Could I sell it?

Another question, a project started on 7, could I continue on the new 9?

Thanks

Don Bloom October 18th, 2009 08:01 AM

what to do with them is up to you, perhaps donate to a non-profit for kids?
As for your other question, yes you can take a project started in 1 version of Vegas and finish it in another BUT you can't go back. IOW, Vegas works forward but not in reverse.
If you decide to go forward I would rename the newly saved orject that you did in version 9 to somelike 'myvideoversion9' (or whatever the original projects name is but add something to desinate it's version 9) this way you still have access to the version 7 project just in case.

Chris Harding October 18th, 2009 06:52 PM

Hi Fred

I few weeks ago I discovered that I had Versions 5, 7 and 9 on my computer. I dumped 5 but I have kept 7 on the machine. It seems you can have multiple versions residing on the same drive without any problem...I'm not sure I will use 7 again unless it's to re-open an old 7 project.

As Don says older projects will open fine in 9 and it would indeed be a noble gesture to give the older versions to some group that would appreciate it

Chris

Edward Troxel October 19th, 2009 09:54 AM

If you're going to give away or sell your older copies, there is a proper procedure to follow. You need to get the old copy transferred to the new owner's name. To do that, contact Sony Customer Service and they can walk you through the process. In the end, the new owners will get a new serial number. Plus the new owners will NOT but able to use that version to get upgrade pricing.

Jeff Harper October 19th, 2009 11:14 AM

People buy and sell used copies of Vegas frequently, you might try the classifieds here Fred. As has been said you just need to transfer the serial number to the buyer, not usually a big deal to do.

Brian Luce October 19th, 2009 03:09 PM

Are there any roundabout pain in a*s methods of opening a project that originated in 9.0 in 7.0 for example? Or do they really lock you out?

Don Bloom October 19th, 2009 03:14 PM

as far as I know there are no workarounds-you're locked out.

Edward Troxel October 20th, 2009 08:49 AM

You could try exporting as an edl in 9 and importing that edl in 7 but you'll lose some things in the process...

Harold Brown October 20th, 2009 06:29 PM

My friends that I transferred licenses to have been able to upgrade. It can also be done on line without a phone call.

Mike Kujbida October 20th, 2009 06:54 PM

My friends that I transferred licenses to have been able to upgrade. It can also be done on line without a phone call.

It's my understanding that this can be done as long as you didn't get that version with an upgrade from an older version.

Harold Brown October 20th, 2009 07:37 PM

That has not been my experience as I still own the license to Vegas 4 purchased in 2003. I upgraded each year after that and I am on Vegas Pro 9. My friend upgraded to Vegas Pro 8 for the same upgrade price I paid from the transferred Vegas 5 license I gave her. I transferred Vegas 6 to another friend who said he was able to get the upgrade price but I don't know if he actually purchased it.

Edward Troxel October 21st, 2009 08:53 AM

All I can say is good for them. I'm happy it worked for them. But my understanding is that once the serial number has been used to upgrade, the new serial number given to the new owner is not supposed to work for upgrade purposes.

There's a full writeup on this in the Sony FAQ knowledgebase.

Harold Brown October 21st, 2009 07:57 PM

The main take away is do not assume that just because you have a transferred license you cannot upgrade because I know that it has happened. Perhaps it was a Vegas Pro 8 one time thing, perhaps it was an accident, but before anyone assumes that it cannot happen it would be worth making sure.

Jeff Harper October 21st, 2009 08:49 PM

It is possible that: The policy or rule for transferred licenses may be to not allow for upgrading, but yet the transferred serial numbers may work despite the policy. Stranger things have happened. The number of transferred licenses used to attempt upgrading is likely so small that the system might not be programmed to catch this.

I say let sleeping dogs lie, and if it works I say more power to those who benefit. After all, upgrades are not free so the user is paying, even if less than full price.

Paul Kepen October 21st, 2009 11:37 PM

I own Vegas 6,7 and 8. I never installed or registered Vegas 7, so presumably that could be sold/given away and the new owner could register it. My Vegas 8 was an upgrade, and when I installed it, it supposedly required an older version (my V6) to be installed before it would upgrade. I have not used V6 since, but I am concerned if I take it off of my computer, will V8 still work? If it does and I have to reinstall on a new drive in the future will I have to install V6 first (again) and then install the V8 upgrade?
On another note; Is it worth it to upgrade from V8 to V9?
If so, what is the most reasonable (cheap - but legit) price one can get the upgrade for? Thanks - PK

Edward Troxel October 22nd, 2009 07:20 AM

Paul, I don't believe it actually requires the older version to be installed. If it can't find the older version, I think it will simply ask for the previous serial number. But you'd need to try it to be sure.