DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Render to QuickTime (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/466676-render-quicktime.html)

Ian Stark October 28th, 2009 12:33 PM

Render to QuickTime

My client wants .mov files so for the first time that I can think of I am exploring (and having trouble with) the QuickTime render dialogue.

The source project is PAL DV widescreen but try as I might I cannot get the rendered file to be widescreen.

I have tried all sorts of combinations of things, mainly to do with aspect ratio and frame size but I can't seem to get it right.

Any help appreciated! Thanks.

Ian . . .

Seth Bloombaum October 28th, 2009 02:12 PM

I'm not in PAL-land, but the general fix for this sort of problem is to get to a 1.0 pixel aspect ratio (PAR), then adjust your picture dimensions to create wide screen.

OK, let's do the math:
The PAL wide template is 720x576 with a 1.4568 PAR.
Multiply 720 by 1.4568 = 1048 (rounded). 1048x576 at 1.0 PAR would be one choice.

A true 16:9 that's 576 tall will be 1024 wide. So, that's 1024x576 at 1.0 PAR.

Obviously, you're upscaling horizontal resolution on these renders, so, be sure to select "best" render quality.

Is widescreen PAL exactly 16:9? See what looks right in some test renders, 1048x576 or 1024x576.

I don't know why PAR flagging is so inconsistent - this isn't only a problem with QT, it crops up other places too.

Ian Stark October 28th, 2009 04:41 PM

As an aside, I am not particularly impressed with QuickTime other than in higher resolutions. Does it remain a popular format?

Ian Stark October 28th, 2009 04:43 PM

That did it, thanks Seth. I'm a bit annoyed with myself because I have solved this problem before when working with other formats. I think my brain must have got a bit fried! Lots going on at the moment!

Thanks again for the help.

Ian . . .

Seth Bloombaum October 28th, 2009 06:17 PM

Ian, I'm very glad you got it working.

QT on the PC is not so popular, however, it is a leading solution for cross-platform digital intermediate files. Forum contributor Perrone Ford has written at length about the Avid DNxHD codec in QT, which if I recall, allows him to move his work through Vegas, AE, and AVID across Mac and PC. Not super fast on the PC, preview rates suffer, but it works, and it supports alpha channel.

Which is a pet peeve of mine - way too few codecs support alpha channel!

Of course on the Mac, QT is *the* container format, even moreso than AVI on the PC. Many codecs work within it, and FCP users rarely branch out from the QT container until encoding for delivery.

Perrone Ford October 28th, 2009 09:05 PM

Yea Seth,

Honestly, if it wasn't for Virtualdub, I wouldn't use AVI any more at all. About the only thing I use it for is to make Lagarith encoded AVI files to move from Vegas to VirtualDub and back. And it's the only (free) decent editing AVI available in the 64 bit version of Vegas.

Quicktime on the other hand gives me access to ProRes, DNxHD, Jpeg2k, the AJA/Blackmagic codecs, etc. All the best stuff is there.