DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Windows Ultimate Vista 64 Bit (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/467249-windows-ultimate-vista-64-bit.html)

John Lorince November 6th, 2009 02:09 PM

Windows Ultimate Vista 64 Bit

Good Day to you all! Just wondering if any of you using Windows Utlimate 64 bit have downloaded the Service pack 2 for your OS with any success...my computer keeps reminding me to do it, but I really do not need any workflow issues right now. Any thoughts on this issue?

Thanks in Advance!

Jeff Harper November 6th, 2009 02:35 PM

Wait till your project is finished. Turn off the automatic updates till then.

John Lorince November 6th, 2009 02:58 PM

Service Pack 2

It does not bother me that the updates are there....I just wanted to know if anyone has installed this update with no problems. Luckily as of late, I always in a project of some kind.

Thank You

Jeff Harper November 6th, 2009 03:10 PM

I presume you're talking about Vista SP2...that was so long ago for me I can't remember any issues, but as a rule I would never install a SP in the middle of a project even if others have had no issues. For example there are people having issues with Windows 7 while I've never had any issues.

You might go ahead, but I wouldn't.

Steven Reid November 6th, 2009 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Lorince (Post 1443669)
It does not bother me that the updates are there....I just wanted to know if anyone has installed this update with no problems. Luckily as of late, I always in a project of some kind.

Thank You

John, I installed SP2 with no problem. For some reason, I noticed months after its release that Windows Update had it listed but it failed to download automatically, so I downloaded it direct from the MS website and installed with no problem.

Now all of that's old news because I run Windows 7 Ultimate 64!

Steve

John Lorince November 9th, 2009 07:36 PM

Windows 7

Any reason in particular for the switch to windows 7 from vista? New machine perhaps, or was vista that buggy for you?

Thanks

Jeff Harper November 9th, 2009 07:47 PM

Vista was OK, not bad, but Windows 7 seems darn near perfect. I heard about the beta version, downloaded it while it was available and took a chance, and I love it. I can't even remember Vista anymore. Windows 7 just runs better, smoother. It's the way Vista should have been. Kind of the opposite of Vegas. Vegas 8 is what Vegas 9 should have been. Earlier I was talking about how nicely Vegas 9.0c ran, and my text disappeared. It's still on the timeline, but it doesn't appear in the preview window. I hate Vegas 9.

Steven Reid November 9th, 2009 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Lorince (Post 1444936)
Any reason in particular for the switch to windows 7 from vista? New machine perhaps, or was vista that buggy for you?

Thanks

John, Vista wasn't *that buggy*, but I had a few niggles that really irritated me so the point where I started to pay attention to the Windows 7 fans here and on other forums. My punchlist for Vista included processes hanging when I rebooted (making for VERY long reboot times), User Account Control (UAC) popping up in my face all the time, and -- the major one -- it hogged a LOT of RAM just sitting there all by itself. The last tended to crash long projects (i.e., long = longer than 15 minutes!) on which I used Magic Bullet Looks -- a known resource hog -- even when I used the 2GB memory hack. I had better experiences with 8.1, but then I lost my 32-bit plugins.

None of these were showstoppers, but they irritated me greatly, and everyone who had anything to say about Win7 just raved about it. So I jumped. This very minute I'm in the middle of an edit in 8.0(c) -- my first -- in Win 7. When it comes time to render, I'll see how things go. So far, the whole experience, including installation of the OS, is butter smooth. I'm truly impressed.

Steve

Mike Kujbida November 9th, 2009 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Harper (Post 1444941)
Earlier I was talking about how nicely Vegas 9.0c ran, and my text disappeared. It's still on the timeline, but it doesn't appear in the preview window. I hate Vegas 9.

Jeff, this is the first time I've heard of this.
Can you reproduce this problem?
Have you reported it to Sony?

Jeff Harper November 9th, 2009 08:58 PM

Can't reproduce it, it just happened. First thing I tried was to copy the media on the timeline, paste it next to the original, and the copied version was fine, but the original was not. I deleted the original and everthing was cool. The original project was created in Vegas 8, which is likely the cause. I don't really hate Vegas 9, it just irritates the crap out of me when these silly things happen.

Mike Kujbida November 9th, 2009 09:23 PM

You had me worried for a moment so I just tried loading in a few V8 projects that have lots of titles into V9 and they all worked as expected.
My guess is that you forgot to make an offering of several strong coffees to the Vegas gremlins before trying this :-)

Paul Inglis November 10th, 2009 12:09 PM

Quote:

Good Day to you all! Just wondering if any of you using Windows Utlimate 64 bit have downloaded the Service pack 2 for your OS with any success...my computer keeps reminding me to do it, but I really do not need any workflow issues right now. Any thoughts on this issue?
I had no issues when I downloaded it back in June nor since :)

Windows 7 looks good and I'll be upgrading to it soonish!

Jeff Harper November 10th, 2009 12:56 PM

I'm finding 32 bit version is running more smoothly for me than 64 bit overall. Text issue occured again, but instead of not appearing, it was off centered, way off. Different project. Easy fix of copying and pasting and deleting original...again, project was created in Vegas 8.

Jeff Harper November 11th, 2009 08:20 AM

I'm finding the preview function is not as smooth with special effects added in either version of Vegas 9...anyone else experiencing this? Is there a solution? I have set the dynamic ram to 0 and to 256, no difference.

I have the "adust size and quality" feature turned off.