DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas 9 is low on memory (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/468152-vegas-9-low-memory.html)

Buba Kastorski November 21st, 2009 02:25 PM

Vegas 9 is low on memory

I can't render 35 min project to any format, it stops with the error :
: Vegas is low on memory try to close blah blah blah,
vegas 8 on the same mchine doesn't have any problems, but I edited project on 9, and now i can't do anything,
looks like a memory leak, cuz the error happens every time mem usage of vegas90.exe goes over one gig,
PC is quad Q95 4Gb of ram with 6Gb of paging file on separate raptor;
vegas gurus, any advice on this?
many many thanks!

Edward Troxel November 21st, 2009 02:41 PM

A few things you can try:

1. Look at the "Ram Preview" amount. Make that a low number (like 8 or 16 meg).
2. Render out in segments instead of the whole thing at once.
3. Kill all non-essential background tasks (things like anti-virus, etc...)

Buba Kastorski November 21st, 2009 08:54 PM

Thanks Ed,
I tried this already, no good, same error on my laptop and desktop, I can't believe two weeks of work are wasted;
I'm afraid I already know the answer, but is there ANY way to open Vegas9 project on previous version of the app?
Many thanks!

Ian Stark November 22nd, 2009 03:43 AM

What's actually in the project, Buba? I have to say this really doesn't sound right!

Jeff Harper November 22nd, 2009 07:27 AM

Ian, you are definitely asking the right question...what is on the timeline?

Buba Kastorski November 22nd, 2009 05:44 PM

footage from Z7, EX1 and 5Dmkii, M2T, MXF and I converted MOVs from 5Dmkii in neoscene to AVI. 2 video tracks, 4 audio tracks, lots of cuts, very few MB Looks , color curves and color correction in every shot, 35 min in total.
I upgraded from build 772 to 896 and now I'm able to render in short segments on my laptop, but not on my desktop, which is strange, I ran Vista home premium on laptop and XP pro on desktop,
laptop is dual core 2.1 4Gb RAM, desktop is Quad 2.8, 4Gb RAM
next week I was planning to get an i7, but now I'm seriously thinkin to go MAC and FCP,
many many thanks for all your help and ideas,

Perrone Ford November 22nd, 2009 06:14 PM

32bit Vegas is only able to access 2.5GB max of RAM. Until you see a 64bit Magic Bullet, this is going to be an issue. I am fighting the same issues right now on the movie I am grading. Royal pain in the rear. Doing it with long GOP on the time line makes it worse. I only use intraframe codecs on the timeline for projects like this.

Jeff Harper November 23rd, 2009 05:31 AM

You have a mix of some of the more difficult types of footage to deal with and your thinking of moving to FCP?

With a new Mac you will get a newer processor, so that will help. Let us know how that works out.

Edward Troxel November 23rd, 2009 07:27 AM

Did you try rendering out in segments? You can then build a "final" project from the good segments.

Buba Kastorski November 23rd, 2009 07:10 PM

yes, I can render in 5 - 6 min segments, but on my laptop only, not on desktop though,
I'm guessing this problem is Vegas 9Pro specific, at least I've never seen nothing like that in version 8c,
many many thanks for your help guys!

Doug Marcum November 23rd, 2009 08:22 PM

Buba,

I had the same problem.
Tried all of the fixes mentioned in the earlier posts.
See link at bottom. Found on Sony's site. While it did not "solve" the problem it helped. It allowed me to use Magic Bullet on some clips but not all clips in a timeline.
It is very simple to do, even though I originally thought it more complicated.
Take a look and see if you want to give it a shot.

Doug

Sony Creative Software - Forums - Vegas Pro - Video Messages

Ian Stark November 24th, 2009 01:41 AM

Great find, Doug, thanks for posting. I am about to edit my first batch of AVCHD and I was getting nervous. Now at least I know there may be a cure!

Hope that gives you a way forward Buba.

A little OT but reading through that thread at the Sony forum reminded me why I hang out at DVi. Much more civilised!

Mike Kujbida November 24th, 2009 05:43 AM

Ian, if it's any consolation, the guy that started that thread was banned from the Sony forum a little while after that thread.
Trust me when I say that he was tame in comparison to some folks on there who got banned within a few days of posting :-(
It's a pretty tolerant bunch over there and Sony lets us get away with a lot of OT stuff that most forums would never tolerate.
Having said that, it's generally a group of very helpful users who are willing to share their knowledge.
Must be the "Vegas love" in us that makes us that way :-)

Anthony Ching November 30th, 2009 10:10 AM

I upgrade to Vista 64 bits version and 9.0C 64 version for the same problem. Now I can render without "system low on memory" crash.

Dror Levi December 15th, 2009 09:27 PM

I have the same problem when using MB.
is there any solution?
I am sure most of you that use MB do not have the same problem.
Just wander what why it happens to selected computer?