DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Back to Vegas 8, done with 9. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/469887-back-vegas-8-done-9-a.html)

Jeff Harper December 22nd, 2009 09:06 PM

Back to Vegas 8, done with 9.

After my recent issues with Vegas 9, and having worked with it exclusively for about a month, I installed Vegas 8 and am shocked at how much faster it loads, how quickly the thumbnails appear on the timeline (instantly) and how much more responsive it is than 9 is.

I completed a number of projects in 9, and I've given it a fair trial (for about the 5th time) I can say I'm truly done with it. The support for large photos is meaningless to me, as it takes less than a minute to batch-resize photos in Irfanview to any size I need. I've tried to work with 9 on 5 different Windows 7 installations, and the results are always the same, it's just not working out. I absolutely cannot recommend this bug-ridden program.

Chris Harding December 22nd, 2009 11:22 PM

Hi Jeff

I jumped from Vegas 7 to 9 and had absolutely no issues at all. In fact I find that 9 loads quicker!!! OK, I had to get used to my timeline being at the bottom but that was easy!!

I wonder if it's the OS that maybe 8 prefers???? I run good ole XP Pro and 32 bit versions and I must admit I have had nothing but success from Version 9. Admittedly 7 was good but for some reason if you closed down 7 it refused to open again and just froze the splash screen.

Then again, there are enough hassles in life already without adding to them so if 8 runs better it does the same job!!

Chris

Cliff Etzel December 23rd, 2009 01:38 AM

My company is done with Vegas in general. It's a great concept, but in practice - at least for me, it's just that - a concept.

I wish it were otherwise...

Perrone Ford December 23rd, 2009 01:43 AM

:)

Cliff... now now...

BTW, I expect updates on your new choice. We'll miss you here in Vegas land!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliff Etzel (Post 1463709)
My company is done with Vegas in general. It's a great concept, but in practice - at least for me, it's just that - a concept.

I wish it were otherwise...

Cliff Etzel December 23rd, 2009 01:44 AM

you're keeping late hours Perrone ;)

Perrone Ford December 23rd, 2009 01:57 AM

Been battling insomnia for over a week...

And my brain is turning a weird shade of purple... I can't figure it out! ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliff Etzel (Post 1463712)
you're keeping late hours Perrone ;)

Richard Hunter December 23rd, 2009 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perrone Ford (Post 1463716)
Been battling insomnia for over a week...

And my brain is turning a weird shade of purple... I can't figure it out! ;)

Sounds like you got aubergine flu.

Paul Inglis December 23rd, 2009 06:01 AM

I agree 9 is buggy compared to 8. If I drop my nanoFLASH files (Long GoP 100Mbps MXF) onto the timeline is 9 I get a green frame at the beginning of ever clip. It is most frustrating as I put a lot of short clips on the timeline. No it doesn’t affect the image, but I just can’t see it on the timeline, just hundreds of green frames!!! Argh!!! In 8 it’s perfect!

Larry Reavis December 24th, 2009 04:40 PM

I've found that a combination of 8c and 9c-64 is rock solid on my 64-bit Win7 installation. I only use 9c to pan across large stills - to be rendered to .AVIs for the 8c timeline; and for opening files from my Sanyo for rendering to an intermediate 60p format using PicVid (in 9c-32); and - most important - for rendering complex .VEGs that won't render without being cut up into many pieces in Vegas 8.

Otherwise, all editing is done in 8c, which is flawless for editing if no large stills or Sanyo .MP4 codecs are needed. So far, I've had absolutely no problems with this 2-step procedure.

It's true that 9 has a few audio stretching and color superiorities, which I can live without; for the last couple of months, I've been 100% pleased with Vegas - just like in the old days of Vegas 7 with SD instead of HD video.

Charles Newcomb December 24th, 2009 07:50 PM

I just got my upgrade to 9 from UPS today. I can only install the 32 bit version because I'm on a Mac under Bootcamp with XP Pro. So can someone tell me... will it be possible to install it and still have V8 on the same machine until I see if it's going to work for me?

Don Bloom December 24th, 2009 09:00 PM

I've had as many as 4 different versions of Vegas on any one machine at one time, so, yes, you can keep 8 and 9 on the same machine at the same time. No problem.