DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Stop playing at the end (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/472584-stop-playing-end.html)

Adam Stanislav February 10th, 2010 02:45 AM

Stop playing at the end

Is there a way to configure Sony Vegas to stop playing when it reaches the end of the last event? As it is now, whenever I click "play" it starts playing and it keeps playing and playing and playing ad nauseam even when there is nothing left to play. It just keeps moving on beyond the end on the timeline until I click the stop button, and it is so annoying!!!

If there is a configuration option to make it stop at the end, would someone please tell me about it.

Mike Kujbida February 10th, 2010 06:29 AM

The only way to do this that I'm aware of is to highlight the desired section.
That way, it has a defined end point.

Edward Troxel February 10th, 2010 09:06 AM

Mine usually only goes a couple seconds after the end and then stops automatically. I wonder if it will go to the longest point the project ever was? I agree that it goes past the last event but I've not seen it just go on and on.

Don Bloom February 10th, 2010 09:11 AM

is there a marker down the line somewhere? Sometimes I forget to delete the marker I have way down the timeline and it will run til that but generally it seems to run a couple of seconds then stops.

Adam Stanislav February 10th, 2010 09:41 AM

Thanks, everyone. I have just tested to see if it really is a couple of seconds and played a project without stopping it. It played for exactly 45 seconds after the end and then stopped. No, there is no marker (I do not even know how to create markers, nor why I should).

I guess I have never been patient enough to wait 45 seconds for it to stop, so it seems like it is going on and on and on forever.

Even so, I wish it would just stop as soon as it reaches the end, and it did so without the need to highlight everything (it is actually easier to click the stop button than to highlight everything).

Don Bloom February 10th, 2010 10:36 AM

hmmm, 45 seconds seems like a lot but I really don't have any ideas as to why it would run that long.

Markers and regions can be very helpful in an edit. You can insert a marker to note where you might need to cut or fix something or whatever you need to do. Simply place the cursor where you need a marker and press M, a marker aooears and you can note in it. Regions are about as simple. Simply highlight where you want the region and press R. Now you've got a region.
Also markers are used for DVD chapters.

Thomas Moore February 10th, 2010 11:09 AM

Select the time after the project ends and delete it?

Terry Esslinger February 10th, 2010 04:25 PM

Where does the curser go to when you click on the "go to the end icon >|"

Adam Stanislav February 10th, 2010 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Esslinger (Post 1484377)
Where does the curser go to when you click on the "go to the end icon >|"

It goes to the end of the last event, just where I would want it to stop. That is what is so puzzling: It clearly knows where the end is, yet it keeps playing after it reaches it.

Chris Harding February 10th, 2010 11:31 PM

Hi Adam

Vegas 9 seems to 'bookmark' the last event on any timeline and instruct the cursor to stop there. So if you add a 20min clip, then edit it down to say 10 mins, the timeline still seems to think that the end point is at 20 mins and goes past the end of any active footage.

I must admit I haven't tried it the other way around as yet (make the first clip a short one and progressively add footage) but I suspect that in this case it will stop after the last clip.

It would be interesting to find out how you can erase a stop point on a track???

Chris

Adam Stanislav February 11th, 2010 01:08 AM

That makes sense, Chris, thanks. And I agree it would be nice to find out how to erase those stop points.

Thomas Moore February 11th, 2010 11:11 AM

move your current project out so that it's end is at the "end". Select the time line before it, delete...