DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Once again, can't import XDCAM EX files... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/473843-once-again-cant-import-xdcam-ex-files.html)

Brian Luce March 1st, 2010 04:27 AM

Once again, can't import XDCAM EX files...

I've got some EX files on a sandisk ultra II SD card, not the proper sxs card. The yellow bar in clip browser shows card has data on it but it won't show up in the clip browser window. Or, if I open in Vegas 9c, I can import MOV clips off the car but it's that old problem of audio without video. There are folders for BPAV and Clips but it won't play video in Vegas. Is there a codec issue here?

Marty Welk March 1st, 2010 04:29 AM

i cant tell you for sure, but one thing i do know if you use the sony clip browser thing, and save out the clips as MFX for NLE , they will load into vegas without the vegas clip browser attachment thing.

Backup everything, just to be sure.

Brian Luce March 1st, 2010 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty Welk (Post 1492805)
i cant tell you for sure, but one thing i do know if you use the sony clip browser thing, and save out the clips as MFX for NLE , they will load into vegas without the vegas clip browser attachment thing.

Backup everything, just to be sure.

How do you save the clips as MFX?

Marty Welk March 1st, 2010 05:08 AM

oops MXF.
in the Sony XDcam clip browser , select the clip with a right click (in winders systems) and export , it is the first export item.
if you cant see the clip, then i dont know what to do , one thing is Refreshes arent continual, they are manuel, so try a refresh.

Vegas is supposed to be able to media browse itself and (from what i understand) work with the files the ex makes, but if your desperate to get going, converting it is one way.

Brian Luce March 1st, 2010 05:20 AM

The clips don't show up in the clipbrowser window. Only the spacebar shows disk usage

Marty Welk March 1st, 2010 05:54 AM

hmm, confirm that the Biggee MP4 files are there, because that is where the real data is, if those are there then . . . and then i forgot how i got them in. i am not a lot of help , sorry.

Marty Welk March 1st, 2010 06:08 AM

ok i seperated a xdcam Mp4 file out from its parts and pieces (that ID it). this loose file no longer shows in the xdcam clip browser. :-( grrr.
Than I was able to use the clip browser to "import" it back in (right click folder space, select import, browse for file).

i dont know what it did to it (read or code), or why it took so long, but One by one, potentially even disconnected from its parts and pieces aparentally the mp4 data can be fed in??? (when desperate).
Select a folder (or new folder) that wont Mess up your other folders/files before importing or testing anything like this, import lands in the folder you imported into.

no i dont know what is going on, other than i hate this 5 files for one BS.
i dont know what problem your having, so there is probably way better solutions, i am just working with this stuff myself trying to figure out what (will) go wrong.

Adam Stanislav March 1st, 2010 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Luce (Post 1492804)
The yellow bar in clip browser shows card has data on it but it won't show up in the clip browser window.

Try copying the entire card (including the directory structure) to a folder on your hard disk and see if the clip browser can read it from there. If that works, follow Marty's advice on right clicking on the clips and exporting them as MXF.

Perrone Ford March 1st, 2010 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty Welk (Post 1492827)
no i dont know what is going on, other than i hate this 5 files for one BS.

If you understood the Metadata in those other files, maybe you wouldn't hate it so much. I didn't realize how powerful they were until I started with Avid. It shows you TONS of stuff Vegas doesn't.

I also use a utility that reads the Card structure, plucks out just the .MP4 files, and converts them to DNxHD. Awesome utility but I don't use it as much as I used to now that Vegas 9 can read the raw files on it's own.