DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q1Q2) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/47511-vegas-video-discussions-2006-q1q2.html)

Ian Stark May 26th, 2006 03:27 PM

Same as Mr Troxel but with 2gb ram. Vegas 6.0d runs like a dream.

Perhaps a little misleading to call this a laptop though - if you sat it on your lap you'd be enjoying second degree burns and crushed thighbones within minutes. It's an Alienware monster!

Seth Bloombaum May 26th, 2006 04:35 PM

GPU acceleration plays no role in what Vegas DV or HDV does. (but may have lots of impact on any other GPU-intensive programs you use, such as 3D apps.)

Most people who've tried dual-head, dual-display will never go back. I've been told that nVidia drivers are more stable with Vegas than Matrox, but I think a lot of people are using Matrox as well as nVidia.

On a new fast HDV editing machine that supports full rate playback of HDV or Cineform digital intermediates, one solution for monitoring is use of the windows secondary display for preview (came with Vegas 6). The best way to do this is with a display that supports 1920x1040, which is the full HDV rez with square pc pixels. A Dell FPW 2405 24" LCD will support this rez, your graphics card would need to support it as well if you take this approach to previewing HDV/CF.

***edit***
Dell's site says your graphics card must support WUXGA resolution (1920x1200) to run the 2405.

Ian Briscoe May 26th, 2006 05:17 PM

pan/crop tool

I've got a clip that I want to reduce in size to use as picture in picture. I also want to crop the picture by zooming in - composition isn't great but as this will be a PIP the drop in quality on the zoom shouldn't be noticeable.

I can get the event pan/crop to EITHER zoom OR position but i can't figure out how to get it to do both. Do I have to use track motion for part of this?

Thanx

Ian

David Jimerson May 26th, 2006 05:34 PM

That's the easiest way. (IMHO)

Douglas Spotted Eagle May 26th, 2006 06:24 PM

If you are panning/cropping, and still need positioning, the only way you can adjust position is:
1. Track motion
2. Parent track with mask using pan/crop to place.

Since you're already zoomed in and have compromised resolution, you'll lose nothing by using track motion to position.
You can also use Pan/crop to position *if* you're not zooming in on the image.

Jeff Harper May 26th, 2006 08:24 PM

How to remove all Video Fx from a project

I apparently selected approximately 70 percent of the clips in a complex wedding video, and I must undo the color correction I applied, which has ruined the movie. I am currently going clip by clip and removing the color correction, but with 5 tracks of video and hundreds of clips, it is tedious, not to mention I could easily miss some...any help would be greatly appreciated. If the effect had been applied to the entire project, I know that I could instantly remove it, but it wasn't. Thanks in advance.

Douglas Spotted Eagle May 26th, 2006 08:45 PM

you can use the "remove all FX" script to remove every filter on the project if that's what you'd like to do.

Jeff Harper May 26th, 2006 09:16 PM

Thank you Douglas

Much thanks, and best wishes to you and yours!

Ruben Pla May 26th, 2006 10:53 PM

Weird thing happening...

I keep my raw video data on an external "J:" drive. My .veg files are on my "C:" drive, along with my rendered .avi's.

This has always worked fine. Whenever I edited my master .veg file (consisting of rendered .avi's) I never needed to have my "J:" drive turned on. Only when I edited the individual scene .veg files, did I need to turn on the external drive.

Recently, I edited my master .veg file, adding two clips that I had copy/pasted from other .veg files (not rendered .avi files.) I then took out those copy/pasted .veg clips, replacing them with rendered .avi files, and saved the master .veg file.

Now, whenever I recall the master .veg file, it says that those two clips are offline and I need to turn on my "J:" drive to download them into the master .veg.

I've tried deleting the whole section where the editing took place and it still comes out the same. I even took all the clips out (an empty timeline) and saved it as a test file and when I bring up that test .veg file, it still asks for the missing .veg files.

Any ideas what I can do?

Thank you,

Ruben

Bill Porter May 27th, 2006 02:00 AM

What about copy/pasting the project into a new timeline and resaving that?

Gian Pablo Villamil May 27th, 2006 02:13 AM

That's because the files are still in the media pool for the project, even though you are not using them. Select the Vegas media pool, there should be a little lightning bolt icon that cleans out unused media.

Ian Briscoe May 27th, 2006 03:49 AM

David/Douglas - thanx for your help

Ian

Dale Nicholson May 27th, 2006 07:00 AM

After Effects first, then to Vegas....

I have just captured my video to the PC and am working now with the raw footage. I'm using Vegas 6 and After Effects 6 for the purposes of this question....

I would like to bring in to AE a ten second segment, make it rain using AE's effects, then export that segment to Vegas where it will stay as part of a standard, non-widescreen, dvd project.

Must I purchase a plugin from, I believe, forgedimages, or frameserve? Can someone provide me with a simple tutorial/link that details specifically what my settings should be? I have tried exporting the completed footage to Vegas as uncompressed AVI, but after I do, I'm seeing faint, horizontal lines across the footage in Vegas or the raindrops effect has dramatically increased in speed for whatever reason.

That's why I'm in need of a comprehensive tutorial; is their a "sticky" or link to a tutorial that I'm missing on this matter?
Thank you--
Dale

Rob Gregory-Browne May 27th, 2006 10:01 AM

Backward Compatability

I have Vegas 6 at work (I do video for a school district), and Vegas 5 at home. I sometimes like to work at home, but the Vegas 6 project files won't open in 5.

Is there a solution to this problem that I don't know about?

Since I'm the only user on my work machine with Vegas 6, does the license allow me to install it at home as well? It seems a little vague to me. But because there's only one person ever using the program, I thought it might be okay for the second install.

Any thoughts?

Here's was the EULA says:

"non-exclusive license to use the Software on one (1) computer at a time upon the terms and conditions set forth in this Agreement. "

It doesn't say Install, it says Use. Since I will only be using the software on one computer when I'm at home and only one computer while I'm at work, it sounds like I'm safe. Or am I dreaming?

Ruben Pla May 27th, 2006 10:13 AM

Gian Pablo,

You were exactly right. The little lighting bolt in the Media Pool did the trick.

Thank you so much,

Ruben