DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q1Q2) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/47511-vegas-video-discussions-2006-q1q2.html)

Magnus Helander May 7th, 2006 06:18 AM

Decklink HD Extreme - no Vegas support

Previous versions of Blackmagics Decklink HD Pro were compatible with Vegas for both capture and preview - the new Decklink HD Extreme is not.

The HD Extreme needs the 5.1.1 drivers - Vegas can only operate with the 4.8.1 drivers. We learned the hard way - and I think Blackmagic could be a little more clear on this issue on their site...

It seems to me that Vegas has no native SD uncompressed 4:2:2 support - Premiere Pro has and works perfect with this card.

/Magnus

Peter Jefferson May 7th, 2006 06:46 AM

hey Grazie, what would be good would be to have all those standard ol film fx AND maybe a script interface to access teh sample rate.. all in the one filter... now THAT would be good...

as for me being an android... well i can tell u one thing, i dont dream of electric sheep... lol

Oh another not so bad film look is the Magic Bullet MisFire.. awesome quality, BUT, not cheap (render and cash wise) BUT, for the same money, u can grab Edius Pro3 and do virtually the same film filters all in realtime... I actually use Edius as an FX box simply due to its performance.. edius as an NLE.. well.. i wont comment.. but neither of these will emaulte that frame skipping youre wanting :)
Again, vegas is king..

I wonder if we can put 50fps XDCam HD footage and undercrank to 0.50 to get full realtime slowmo... hmm...

Sean Seah May 7th, 2006 08:21 AM

HDV Dropped Frames Problem!

Just got my FX1e and shoting in 1080-50i now. The playback on the FX1e looks great when I tested it on a CRT TV. (I cant imagine the beauty on a HDTV yet!) However, the workflow below gives gives an average one drop frame, why?

1. Import to Vegas6d via Firewire, internal HD capture.
2. Render to cineform intermediate 1080-50i.avi
3. Import avi on timeline, edit and render.

I notice the drop frame in the avi. I am checking on the m2t now. I used a new Panasonic Pro tape (it isnt HD). I thought if there are drop frames I should notice it during my playback on the TV? If yes this means it occured during the capture. I'm capturing direct to my internal 300GB HDD enabled with DMA. My PC is 3.0GHz single core, 2GB Ram. Please advise, I have a wedding in 2 weeks!!

Brian Child May 7th, 2006 08:52 AM

Cleaning up Vegas templates/presets

Whilst learning Vegas and doing various projects, I have saved various set-ups as (1) render templates, (2) video track fx presets and (3) event pan/crop presets.

Now that I'm through with many of those user-saved templates/presets, I would like to clean up those menus and delete the ones I no longer need. Unfortunately, despite searching this forum and the Vegas instruction manual, I have been unable to discover how to do that.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Edward Troxel May 7th, 2006 12:14 PM

Open the Effects dialog or Render As - Custom dialog. Now select the preset you no longer wish to have. Click on the "X" to the right of the preset name. Repeat until all unwanted presets are gone.

Brian Child May 7th, 2006 02:37 PM

Thanks very much Edward (I never even saw that "X" before).

I am an idiot.

Ben Mclaughlin May 7th, 2006 07:29 PM

ive done a heap of RnD for flash into PP2, best export is SWF from
flash then do a conversion to Uncompressed AVI. using a third party prog
(AE, or free ware tools) Then import.

If you do a Flash export to UNcompressed AVI any animations in MC's will
not show up.

Geoff Jak May 8th, 2006 09:39 AM

Black levels to high

I am having problems with programs edited in Vegas 6d and burned through DVDA3.

Default PAL settings to render the program to mpeg2 eventuate with a washed out image, sharpness of image is lost [expesially when compared to the original] and the black levels are to high [ie not black].

With the help of a friend on another group I tried setting to CBR 8,000,000 and Best setting 31.[this is in PAL]
Analyzing it, I see the black levels are still too high, ie not black, the image lacks contrast [possibly because of the reduced black level] and saturation is down.
Also I notice the pans and tilts are not smooth, a slight jitter in pans, even slow ones, and on a static shot with objects moving across screen.

Also an interlace flicker. The type you get when doing an NTSC / PAL conversion- you can actually notice the interlace lines on moving the top and sides of objects. Yet all this has been done in the what seems to be correct PAL settings in Vegas and DVDA 3.

All scenes were colour corrected using Vegas 6d CC, Secondary CC, vectorscope and waveform. We see that the scopes are set to Studio 16-235. Our DVD's are for screening on a TV, not computer screens so should we uncheck that box? I just did so and notice the blacks are now upped about 10%, from 0% when checked for 16-235 setting. After all we did do the CC for 16-235.[7.5 IRE is not checked as that's for NTSC right?].

Another test. Rendered the same CC'd timeline to avi then to tape. The scenes fed to the same monitor [same as used for DVD to screen] shows better contrast [better blacks] and better colour saturation. So peeling back the layers, it appears i have a problem in the transfer from Vegas timeline to mpeg2 render or in the actual burn.

BTW, how valuable do you find the Colour Curves Fx plugin? I've just used it and it looks like a very efficient way of getting good results quickly.

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Glenn Chan May 8th, 2006 10:18 AM

Try adding the color corrector, with the "studioRGB to computerRGB" preset. Burn a DVD and view it on the same monitor. Do the levels look right then?

2- Wrong field order may explain why you have interlace artifacts? Try the other field order in that case.

Geoff Jak May 8th, 2006 12:03 PM

Thx Glenn

We are already in PAL land where I have set the fields to Lower first. I haven't done the test yet [reversing the field]. Why would changing it help when the PAL default is lower?

When changing the CC to "studioRGB to computerRGB"...wouldn't that change the colour/contract to look its best on a copmuter moniotr...which is what i don't want. I need these programs to be seen on a Tv screen.
hx very much anyway.

Josh Bass May 8th, 2006 12:53 PM

Hi. I have had issues that sound similar to yours, when burning DVDs from MPEG2s rendered in Vegas. I'm using Roxio DVD builder to burn the DVDs, but I also get the super washed out blacks. So far, still have not solved that problem. My blacks also tend to go noticably green.

Seems like everything looks right if I watch the MPEG 2 on my computer monitor, but once I have a burned DVD, that's where the problem is, I guess. I haven't tried watching a burned DVD on my computer, I don't think. I've just been living with it, so far.

Bruce Paul May 8th, 2006 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Jefferson
For we are the music makers, and we are the Dreamers of Dreams

Sorry Peter - This was quoted by Willy (genius that he was) - It is the first two lines of "Ode" by Arthur O'Shaugnessy. Another is "movers and shakers" - Dont know if that was original at the time but it's this first place I saw it. It's one of my favorite pieces.

Kevin Red May 8th, 2006 02:30 PM

Yeah I've been getting pretty fed up with Vegas lately. It's beginning to feel like a child's NLE. The video in the preview looks beautiful then when I render it to 24p (2-3pulldown) or various other templates I get a slew of visual problems like creases, flickering lines, wavy interlace artifacts, over saturation, bad motion, loss of sharpness, changed aspect ratio, flipped upside down footage, etc.
I've used VLC and Windows Media Players.
I'm about ready to give up on this. Can anyone suggest a Windows NLE that can handle HDV better?

Ian Briscoe May 8th, 2006 03:16 PM

Track motion/picture in picture

Hi

I need to create a PIP effect - the Vegas manual suggests using track motion - which is easy enough - but this means the entire track has that motion property which I realise isn't a problem if there's nothing on the track but it seems a bit of a waste of a track.

Is there somthing I'm missing?

Thanx

Ian

Cole McDonald May 8th, 2006 05:23 PM

if the picture inset doesn't need to follow something on the screen, just scale down a second video layer and let it buck...maybe a border under it or something to separate.