DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Memory ? ASAPP (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/475135-memory-asapp.html)

Dale Guthormsen March 19th, 2010 09:02 AM

Memory ? ASAPP

Good Morning,

Seems I am in a pool and barely treading water this last few days. Red Frame issues, unresolved yet.

BIG ISSUE: When I go to render my project it states I am low on memory, may be able to increase memory by closing other programs (none of which are on!!!!)

Do not know how that can be, I have 9 gigs of RAM. Paging file set to minimum. I have the prreview Ram in Vegas turned down to 512.

Any suggestions!! I need this done by Tuesday.

thank you for any help!!
Never had these problems before!!!

Seth Bloombaum March 19th, 2010 09:40 AM

Are you running the 32-bit or the 64-bit version of Vegas 9? Are you on the latest build?

Dale Guthormsen March 19th, 2010 11:32 AM

Seth,

I have 32 and 64. I used the 32 all last week on a big project, no problem.

I was working on this one, moved to 64 bit for rendering, etc and have been cursed even if I go back to the 32 bit.

64 bit 9.0c build 895
32 bit 9.0c build 896

Dale

Edward Troxel March 19th, 2010 01:17 PM

Some things to try:

Go to Options - preferences and change the RAM preview amount to a small value (but not all the way to zero)

Go to Options - preferences and change the number of rendering threads to 1

See if these will get you through this render. You can change them back afterwards.

Dale Guthormsen March 19th, 2010 03:39 PM

Edward,

That allowed me to get it rendered cut down to 720 x 1280 which is just fine.

That is a good band aid!! and thank you ever so much!!

In my performance window it says I have a total of 9206 MB total
next line 7407 cached
Availble varies while processing from 0 to 200 MB

Says I am only using 2.68 gigs of the nime!

Am I going to have to redo the operating system?? Or is there a fix?

Philip Younger March 19th, 2010 03:49 PM

I had this problem using 32bit Vegas Pro9c. I contact Sony Support - this was their reply which worked for me:

"Thank you for contacting Sony Creative Software. Vegas Pro 9 installed on Windows XP will be a 32-bit version of the program. Applications installed on a 32-bit operating system will have total access to up to 2GB of RAM. It appears you are reaching your processing limitations in attempting to render your file. A few suggestions that may help:

Purge unused media to help free up resources. You can purge unused media from your Vegas Project in the Project Media Window. To do this go to the tab in the Vegas window that says Project Media. In the top left corner of this window, you will see a button that looks like a lightning bolt. Clicking on that will remove any unused media from your project and help to free up system resources.

Try breaking your project into pieces by saving the project as a number of sections. For example if your timeline is 30 minutes long, save three ten minute sections into three Vegas files using File > Save As. In each different project delete the other parts. After you have broken up your project, use the instructions in step 4 to remove unused media. Edit each section separately, render and re-import into a new project to stitch them together into a final audio and video stream. For more detailed information about how to break up your project, I believe this article from the SCS Knowledgebase can help provide answers to this incident:

How Do I: Breaking up a large project into smaller pieces
How Do I: Breaking up a large project into smaller pieces

Dale Guthormsen March 20th, 2010 08:56 AM

Philip,

thank you for the reply, in big projects I do just that!

First, this was a 3 minute video. One motion graphic I built (used twice), One composite constructed in Vegas (not elaborate). rest standard HDV captured as a cineform AVI.

However, until now my practice was to capture the entire tape and then select out of the entire tape.
The project folder is 160 gigabytes.

I am wondering if I should just view the tapes through the camera, select small portions for capture and then have a much smaller media pool.

What do you think.

Why do I have so large a cached ram and so little available for use?

I may do a clean reinstall vista and my software. (it is 64 bit).

thoughts?

Dale

Steve Renouf March 21st, 2010 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen (Post 1502524)
Philip,
Why do I have so large a cached ram and so little available for use?

I may do a clean reinstall vista and my software. (it is 64 bit).

thoughts?

Dale

If you're running a x64 system, you should be running Vegas 9.x 64bit - that will allow you all the RAM you need. The 2GB limit is a limitation of using 32bit software (Vegas 32bit)