DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Video Capture in Vegas 6...HELP!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/47525-video-capture-vegas-6-help.html)

Brian K Jones July 11th, 2005 08:30 AM

Video Capture in Vegas 6...HELP!!

Hello all. Last night was the first time I have attempted capturing some video in Vegas 6 since I upgraded from V5. I had to cheat a little, playing an analog VHS-C tape through the av-dv converter on my XL2 and into the capture. I did this a hundred times with Vegas 5. I did get the audio to come through, but I couldn't get the video...Any suggestions would be GREAT!

Edward Troxel July 11th, 2005 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian K Jones
I did get the audio to come through, but I couldn't get the video

What do you mean by this? You heard the audio on the computer? You captured the audio? If yes, it was to an AVI file? You couldn't see the video previewed? You couldn't see the video after capturing?

Some things to try: Different cables, make sure all is set correctly in the XL-2, Enable Device Control is OFF, ...

Brian K Jones July 11th, 2005 11:04 AM

Let me verify. Yes, I was able to hear the audio through my computer speakers as I was capturing, I was NOT able to preview the video as I was capturing.

Kyle Ringin July 11th, 2005 04:57 PM

Could you see the video on the XL2 viewfinder?

I wasn't able to get Vegas to capture a VHS tape through my panasonic camera - I tried all sorts of things. In the end I just used winDV to do it - no problems.

Cheers

Brian K Jones July 11th, 2005 05:24 PM

Thanks for the tip. Yes, I can see the video through the XL2 viewfinder.

Rob Lohman July 12th, 2005 02:20 AM

In the last post you say you didn't get the preview. This indicates the video did
end up in the file? If so, then look at the preview settings in the capture
application. It has some option on when it is visible or not. If it is also not in
the AVI file then do a test where you first capture the analog footage to tape
and then capture that tape. If it is there then something somewhere is going
awry with the pass-through (for some reason).

Adam Woodworth July 12th, 2005 09:34 AM

Have you tried calling Sony support about this problem? Getting help from the source is usually a good start. I know it sounds obvious, but there's been plenty of times in the past where I would search the web endlessly for help, and only after that would I call the manufacturer, and they would solve my problem. :)

Adam

Adam Woodworth July 12th, 2005 09:36 AM

Also, I can state personally that capturing video through Vegas 6 with my XL2 works fine, but I'm capturing from a miniDV tape in the XL2, not through the XL2's a/d converter. Have you tried capturing from miniDV through the XL2?

Adam

Brian K Jones July 13th, 2005 10:44 AM

Problem Solved

The problem has been solved, thanks to everyone that contributed. I didn't have some settings set correctly in the preferences. Now it is working great.

Adam Woodworth July 13th, 2005 11:03 AM

Was the problem in your Vegas preferences or in your XL2 preferences?

Rob Lohman July 14th, 2005 04:47 AM

And please tell us which settings you needed to change. This so others may
benefit from your experience / learning as well.

Thanks!

Brian K Jones July 16th, 2005 12:58 PM

The problem was...

The problem was in the Vegas preferences. The XL2 settings were fine, with the AV-DV converter set to ON. After that, I had no problems capturing an analog tape thru a VCR hooked up to the XL2. Thanks again...

Brian K Jones July 16th, 2005 01:01 PM

More specifically...

Actually, I can't remember exactly what was set wrong. I will check and post a more accurate description soon.