DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   How do you cut scenes and save on project media Vegas (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/475514-how-do-you-cut-scenes-save-project-media-vegas.html)

Sigmund Reboquio March 24th, 2010 03:40 PM

How do you cut scenes and save on project media Vegas

HI,
Im just wondering if there is a way to precut scenes and get them ready on the project media.
I have tons of clips that need to be cut, for now Im cutting in the timeline itself. Is there a way such that I can cut the clips, then delete it on the timeline then if in the future I need it, then I would just go to project media and access the cut clip?

PLease help

Mike Kujbida March 24th, 2010 03:55 PM

If it's regular DV-AVI, you could render the clip, give it a new name and delete the original footage (not my preferred way of doing things).
If you don't want to (or can't) do that, load the clip into the trimmer, cut as desired and save it as a sub-clip (i.e. a virtual clip).

Sam Houchins II March 24th, 2010 08:46 PM

This is not the answer you're looking for, but I've created video tracks before and labelled/organized them in such a way as to use these temp tracks as media bins. I drop similar clips onto their appropriate organizing track, each rough edited/trimmed. Then as i need it, i drag it or a copy it to it's desired real spot on the real timeline track.
When I'm done editing, i can just delete these temp tracks altogether, or just mute them.
Just a workaround idea.

Ian Stark March 25th, 2010 11:40 AM

Sam, that's pretty much how I do things and have done for years.

What I am increasingly doing is having two instances of Vegas open - one with my 'track bins' containing grouped and roughly trimmed clips, and one with the actual project. On most projects I 'save as/copy media' to a local drive after I have made my primary shot selection and archive the uncut complete set of clips on an external drive. May not be elegant but it works for me and keeps my faster local drives less bunged up. In the 'track bins' project I often do rough sequencing of clips before copying them to the master project.

I very rarely use the 'official' bins and I don't recall any time when I have used the trimmer. Likewise I'm not a huge fan of project nesting - sometimes it works for me, other times not. Other people have enjoyed great success with nesting and will swear by it as a means of organising a complex project into more manageable chunks.

A great thing with Vegas is that you often have several different ways to achieve the same result and you can pick and choose which one works best for you. In this case, a seemingly long winded method helps me to get my head around complex projects. Like nesting, the trimmer, media bins, the Media Manager etc, it won't work for everyone, and some people will scream at the idea, but my advice is look at all the options, choose a method that you're happy with and to hell with what others think ;-)

Graham Bernard March 25th, 2010 12:37 PM

After years of working with Vegas, I'm allowing the Project dictate my workflow. Bins are good for creatively collating stills/activity and using scripts to get that media to the t/l.

Nesting is good for aggregating many veggies and getting into a doco a lower third.

I regularly use Media Manager to source and collate Media.

That's how adaptable Vegas is.

If you do the same work over and over again then I'd get into doing one approach. Apart from that, I'm always keeping an eye open to other.

Grazie

Brian Standing March 25th, 2010 02:56 PM

Have you tried setting regions in the Trimmer? Make sure you either save them to the media file, or set the general preferences to do this automatically. Once saved, you can grab (just)the regions in the Explorer window (set the view to "Regions View") and drag them to the timeline. You can also set Vegas to show the embedded media regions and markers for files on the timline.

Want to go back to the media file and change the region in and out points? Just highlight on the timeline, right-mouse click and choose "Open in Trimmer."

I do all my logging this way, creating regions and subclips directly from the Trimmer. Then, for a rough cut, I just grab the regions I want and line 'em up on the timeline. I use subclips and media regions pretty interchangeably. If I know which media file it's in, I grab the region. If I can't remember where that clip is, I grab the subclip from the alphabetically sorted list in the Project Media window.