DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Gear Shift 60i DV Proxies = Bad Banding/Combing (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/476533-gear-shift-60i-dv-proxies-bad-banding-combing.html)

Kevin Janisch April 9th, 2010 02:47 PM

Gear Shift 60i DV Proxies = Bad Banding/Combing

Hey guys, I've been using Gear Shift for a while now without incident with 24F footage. Well, now I'm trying to create proxies for 60i M2T files and the resulting DV proxies are terrible. For Proxy Media I select NTSC DV Widescreen for the conversion. I've tried changing the project settings once the Proxies are in the project with interlacing, progressive, fields, etc with no solution. See my pics below.

Also, for Timeline Source (create proxy from timeline) why do I have to have an HD Media template selected? I just want DV proxies, not HD, seems like a bug to me. Many thanks.

DV Proxy Frame Grab
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k4...0/banding1.png

M2T Frame Grab
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k4...all110/m2t.png

Chris Harding April 12th, 2010 05:03 AM

Hey Kevin

Is Gear Shift much the same as UpShift??? I have UpShift and have had no problem with interlaced footage but then again I'm only transcoding from AVCH to HDV so they both as the same size, frame rate and are both interlaced.

Your problem is that you are resizing 1440x1080 interlaced footage down to (I presume) 720x480 DV footage and when you resize interlaced footage you create the combs that you see as the resizing process messes up the interlacing.

You can replicate much the same result in Vegas with interlaced footage by using Pan/Crop and you will see the weird effects.

Upshift has an option to de-interlace the source footage but I'm not sure if Gearshift has the same??? The bottom line is that you need to de-interlace any source footage before it is resized in any way otherwise you get the comb result!!! If GearShift doesn't have a de-interlace option then you might need to de-interlace before it goes into GearShift??

I actually now use the Mainconcept Transcoder for all my AVCHD but if unfortunately only accepts Panasonic Proline formats (HMC series cameras) That does a perfect job of HD to SD with no interlacing problems at all

Chris

Mike Calla April 13th, 2010 11:11 AM

Great little program Gearshift. Haven't used it in a while but...

HDV and DV have a different field order - it seems you need to set the custom properties of the DV proxy to progressive...because changing the order of the fields isn't advisable (although when i used gearshift with HDV i had no such problems)

Kevin Janisch June 2nd, 2010 07:49 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. Check the following for the Vasst response:

Hi Kevin,

The banding you are seeing is actually interlace artifacts. This type of wide interlace combing is specifically caused by resizing before deinterlacing. You should always deinterlace before you resize. You have your settings wrong somewhere along the line. If you are using 60i footage, then your project should be set for 60i and your deinterlace method should be set to Blend Fields or Interpolate Fields. If you set it to None, that would cause this. Also make sure that Vegas sees your media as interlaced by checking the media properties in either the Project Media pool or on the events themselves.

The reason that Timeline Source forces you to make HD intermediaries is because GearShift swaps media at the file level in the media pool. I doesn’t touch events. Once you place the media on the timeline and trim it, we need to make a new file that represents the new clip on the timeline because the original file will no longer match. This is the expected behavior. If you don’t want HD intermediaries then don’t use the Timeline Source option. Use the File System option instead. Otherwise, if you want to edit your files on the timeline first, we need to make new HD media and proxy media that represent those new edits so they can be swapped at the media pool level.

Let us know if can be of further help and Thank you for choosing VASST.

~jr

John Rofrano
VASST Author / Trainer / Senior Software Engineer
VASST - Home

John Cline June 3rd, 2010 01:14 PM

Gear Shift uses Vegas to generate the proxy file files. Under project properties, make sure you have a "Deinterlace method" selected, I use "interpolate" as it's better for video with motion. Blend is better for video with virtually no motion. The default setting in Vegas is "off" and that will cause the issues you are seeing.

Setting the deinterlace method to either "Interpolate" or "Blend" causes Vegas to "unfold" the fields of the interlaced video into individual fields at double the frame rate, then it resizes the fields and "folds" the fields back into interlaced frames. This is EXACTLY how resizing interlaced video is supposed to be done.