DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas 6: "The device 'Microsoft AV/C Tape Subunit Device' could not be opened." (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/47670-vegas-6-device-microsoft-av-c-tape-subunit-device-could-not-opened.html)

Steve Mullen July 13th, 2005 10:30 PM

Vegas 6: "The device 'Microsoft AV/C Tape Subunit Device' could not be opened."

I've got PP 1.5 and EDIUS PRO 3 all working perfectly with both JVC and Sony HDV camcorders.

Then I installed Vegas 6 and then 6b.

Plugged in Sony HDV deck and got the familiar XP beep.
Started V6.
Opened a New "HDV 1080i60" Project.
Opened Capture Tool which opened >> Sony Video Capture 6.0
No matter what I do I keep getting an error message:

"The device 'Microsoft AV/C Tape Subunit Device' could not be opened."

I've also tried the script:

1. Plug in Camera
2. Go to Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager
3. Locate AV/C Tape Device under Sound, video and game controllers
4. Choose Update Driver
5. Choose "No, not this time"
6. Click Next
7. Choose “Install from a list or a specific location (Advanced)”
8. Choose “Don’t search. I will choose the driver to install.”
9. Uncheck “Show compatible hardware
10. Scroll to the first “Sony” device
11. Select “Sony D-VHS Device”
12. Click Next
13. Click YES to warning
14. Click Finish
15. Close

Still doesn't work with either JVC or Sony HDV. (And, you should not have to do this -- or if you are -- then Sony should have documented it!)

I'm sure Vegas 6 will work if I install Connect HD 1.7 -- but the point of V6 was the capture and export were supposed to be integrated.

So far Vegas 6 is a no go for me. But V5 with KDDI I/O worked fine.

EDIUS PRO 3 with Native or convert to HQ work as nicely as does PP 1.5 with free HDV plug-in.

It's obvious to me that CineForm really will be required for both Vegas and Premiere for practical editing -- but right now I'm testing what the vendors ship. Since I'm not the only one reporting this Capture error, Sony's "out of the box" in my experience doesn't match the rest.

Steve Crisdale July 15th, 2005 02:55 AM

Gee... At last someone else who's spotted the one failing of Vegas as a Sony product that I've struggled to convince people existed.

The only way I've ever been able to get HDV m2ts into Vegas was using ConnectHD Link tool to capture, then load the clips into the media pool.

Makes one wonder how many people actually use the products with the hardware sometimes...

Oh, that's right - I forgot - Vegas captures fine with the Sony HDV cam set to DV output, so we must assume they've got it right and you've got it wrong...

That's my rant for the day done...

Peter Robert July 15th, 2005 06:45 AM

To capture footage of Z1 to PC, I use graphEdit softwere. It is very stable and freeware. You may find the details at www.webtc.com/DVHS/default.htm

Ben Hardy July 16th, 2005 07:55 AM

Open Vegas 6 as you've done previously. At the extreme lower left corner of the opening page, click on "capture". Right click on the 16:9 Blue Box that appears in the lower left side of the capture window. Select "device", select "IEEE 1394/MPEG2-TS Device" and "Sony HDR-Z1/FX1". The VCR controls below, will now operate your Z1/FX1. Set your Capture Folder destination and Clip Name and you're ready to record.

Kevin Red July 20th, 2005 11:54 AM

Are there no other solutions to this problem? I've tried naming the files (which were already named properly). Ive tried installing the AV/C device drivers. Iv'e tried downloading a windows update that was suggested for this problem. I've tried an alternative capture program. Nothing works. My HC1 will capture SD footage but not HDV.

Windows XP SP2
Vegas 6.0

Kevin Red July 20th, 2005 12:44 PM

Ah i figured it out. Vegas 6.0 simply doesnt work had to use a CapDVHS similar program.

Steve Crisdale July 24th, 2005 05:03 PM

You may find ConnectHD to be superior. Not only do you get the HDLink tool to capture, but also the 'un-compressed' CFHD format for editing - which means better quality end product... and there's a demo version if you just want to try first.

Also VLC is rather handy...

Ben Hardy July 26th, 2005 09:54 AM

Vegas 6: "The device 'Microsoft AV/C Tape Subunit Device' could not be opened."

Steve,
I think you may be missing one very important step in setting up Vegas 6 for HDV Capture:
"Clear the Use external video capture application check box" (step C, 1.)

Vegas will immediately find your FX1/Z1 if you perform the steps listed below.

a. From the Options menu, choose Preferences.
b. Click the Video tab.
c. Clear the Use external video capture application check box.
d. Click the OK button.
2. From the File menu, choose Capture Video (or click the Capture Video button in the Project Media window) to start the Sony Video Capture application.
3. Configure your HDV device in Video Capture:
a. Click the button in the Capture window to open the Capture Preferences dialog.
b. Click the Device tab.
c. From the Device type drop-down list, choose IEEE 1394/MPEG2-TS Device.
d. From the Device drop-down list, choose your HDV camera.
4. Capture your clip:
a. Use the transport controls below the Video Preview window to cue your tape.
b. Click the Start Capture button to start capturing.
c. Press the Play button on your camcorder.
d. Click the Stop button (or press Esc) to end the capture procedure.

Your clip is saved to the folder specified on the Disk Management tab of the Capture Preferences dialog. This path is displayed in the Capture Folder box in the Video Capture window.

Regards,
Ben

Dhruba Naug July 28th, 2005 04:49 PM

I'm having the same problem. And none of the fixes suggested here worked. The Device and Device Type read correct in the preferences. The blue box says preview is turned off and all the transport controls and start capture button remains gray. Any idea what else I need to look into?

Thanks in advance.

Melissa Hina July 20th, 2007 09:33 AM

I was having this same problem, but my friend Kevin told me to try this.

Open Vegas. Go to the capture screen. Turn your camera on like you are going to record something. It should show on your capture screen. Now turn it off and back on to play mode.

Worked for me. Easy and simple!

Steven Davis July 20th, 2007 10:14 AM

I could be suffering from pre lunch hunger breakdown, but I thought I got this error once when I was trying to capture HDV with the wrong capture selection in Vegas, once I changed my Z1 to downconvert to DV, I was good to go.

Greg Boston July 20th, 2007 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melissa Hina (Post 714779)
I was having this same problem, but my friend Kevin told me to try this.

Open Vegas. Go to the capture screen. Turn your camera on like you are going to record something. It should show on your capture screen. Now turn it off and back on to play mode.

Worked for me. Easy and simple!

Welcome to DVINFO, Melissa. You replied to a thread which is 2 years old. A lot has happened in the intervening time frame, including Vegas 7.

But thanks for choosing to join us and attempt to help someone out. That's exactly what we're here for.

regards,

-gb-

Steven Davis July 20th, 2007 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Boston (Post 714792)
Welcome to DVINFO, Melissa. You replied to a thread which is 2 years old. A lot has happened in the intervening time frame, including Vegas 7.

But thanks for choosing to join us and attempt to help someone out. That's exactly what we're here for.

regards,

-gb-

See, I was suffering from a hunger breakdown. What is it if we can't laugh at ourselves. And Welcome Melissa.

Renat Zarbailov June 19th, 2010 11:16 PM

What worked for me was:

1. In Vegas go to Preferences then in Video uncheck the "Use external video capture application".
2. Turn the camcorder on in VCR mode and fastforward the tape about 1 minute into the beginning and play the footage in the camcorder for several seconds.
3. Turn the camcorder off and turn it back on in VCR mode. Windows should then prompt you with the dialog box to choose application with which to capture the footage. After that you can capture it in Vegas or any other NLE installed on your machine.

Best

Renat Zarbailov of Innomind.org

John Gordon June 21st, 2010 11:16 AM

external capture is for SD only, internal capture is for HD