DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   MXF questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/482264-mxf-questions.html)

James Binder July 22nd, 2010 11:51 AM

MXF questions

I've been scouring the forum and web in general to find some answers about mxf but coming up short. It seems that .mxf is a container format. Insomuch as that, is it correct to assume that footage rendered to mxf from cannon t21, 7d etc, (QT .h264) -- will retain it's same color space, bit depth, etc? If so, it seems that .mxf would not be a good choice for color correction.

On the other hand, the .mxf template: HD 422-1920x1080 24p 50mbps -- seems like an excellent high quality choice for color correction. But is this codec 10bit? Does it expand the color space? Does '422' in the template name = 4:2:2?

Does ANYONE know? I've searched everywhere and cant find the info.

Any help would be appreciated --

James Binder July 23rd, 2010 10:22 AM

-Anybody?!

Mike Kujbida July 23rd, 2010 10:38 AM

James, check out the rather lengthy XDCAM vs CINEFORM quality thread on the Sony Vegas Pro forum.
I'm sure you'll find the answers you're looking for.

James Binder July 27th, 2010 11:35 PM

Thanks Mike -- this is exactly the info I was looking for --

Charles Higham September 7th, 2010 05:36 AM

MXF and Vegas HD Platinum 10 Suite

I'm interested in the forthcoming Canon XF100 camcorder which uses MXF MPEG2 files. I am also tempted to upgrade my Vegas Studio 8 Platinum to Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10 Production Suite. I've checked through the sonycreative site and can't see MXF mentioned in HD Platinum 10 suite specs so I assume it can't capture MXF files. Does anyone know of a relatively straightforward workaround/recommended conversion format that wouldn't degrade image quality? Perhaps I should be looking beyond HD Platinum 10 suite for some something more sophisticated. Thanks for any advice on this.

Charles Higham September 7th, 2010 07:15 AM

Sorry. Just looked at Mike's link above and it seems I have an awful lot of reading to do abiut MXF files and Vegas.

Bruce Phung September 7th, 2010 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Higham (Post 1566768)
I'm interested in the forthcoming Canon XF100 camcorder which uses MXF MPEG2 files. I am also tempted to upgrade my Vegas Studio 8 Platinum to Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10 Production Suite. I've checked through the sonycreative site and can't see MXF mentioned in HD Platinum 10 suite specs so I assume it can't capture MXF files. Does anyone know of a relatively straightforward workaround/recommended conversion format that wouldn't degrade image quality? Perhaps I should be looking beyond HD Platinum 10 suite for some something more sophisticated. Thanks for any advice on this.

VMS 10 can not import .MXF file or render .MXF file. XDCAM HD 422 50mbs .MXF is available in Vegas Pro 9. I have Cineform Neoscene and I compared the two. They look exactly the same quality. It is very good. The only down side I see is that Window Media player can not open this type file. After I rendered a short clip and that clip can be imported back in Vegas and make the edit or what ever and then output to MPeg2 for DVD or output for BluRay or any other codecs you want.

Charles Higham September 7th, 2010 08:32 AM

Thanks Bruce. I will investigate the methods you have suggested.