DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas 9 crashes (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/484481-vegas-9-crashes.html)

Brian Luce September 9th, 2010 02:21 AM

Vegas 9 crashes

I have projects that no longer open in Vegas 9c. Vegas, not windows, crashes as soon as they open. I have only one clue at the moment: any window with a Cineform file produces immediate "COM Surrogate has stopped working" errors. For every CF file in the folder, I'll get a COM error. Could there be a correlation?

I'm running a Dell i7 with Vista 64. The CF files were created in Vegas 6 and are 720 30p.
Do I dare use my W7 upgrade? The thought is terrifying.

Craig Longman September 9th, 2010 08:04 AM

I'm not sure about the COM issue, but I did want to offer my opinion on Win7. I had Vista 32 before, and it was the worst load of rubbish I think I've ever had to deal with. I upgraded to Win7 64, and I really don't think I could be happier. It is the first version of windows I think I've actually (cough) enjoyed using since WfW 3.11 or the original WinNT.

It's like a new machine, the performance gains alone were worth the cost, and I also picked up a CoA & CD for Win7 64 for $40 on Kijiji. But I would have likely paid full upgrade price if I'd known how much better it would be.

YMMV, and re-setting everything up on a new machine is no fun at all, but I'm very, very pleased I did it.

For the COM error, I'm sure there is a correlation. COM Surrogate is how programs can instantiate a COM object in a separate process, so if it crashes the parent process is unaffected, but it really means that the COM object that the surrogate instantiated crashed.
I would try:

a) reinstall/update the Cineform codec
b) try turning of DEP for dllhost.exe, I remember reading something that indicated DEP can cause problems in that case.

Jeff Harper September 9th, 2010 09:19 AM

Brian, in a somewhat unrelated note, if you install your win7 upgrade, be aware you can do a clean install with it...if you need more info on that email me and I'll help anyway I can. I suspect you might already know this, but I just wanted to make sure you were aware. Nothing worse than installing a new OS on top of an old version of Windows.

Brian Luce September 9th, 2010 09:57 AM

[QUOTE=Craig Longman;1567557]

a) reinstall/update the Cineform codec
b) try turning of DEP for dllhost.exe, I remember reading something that indicated DEP can cause problems in that case.[/QUOTE

It's the CF codec included with Vegas 6, is it actually possible to upgrade it? Or reinstall it separately from Vegas? Presumably I'd reinstall the entire Vegas software?

Craig Longman September 9th, 2010 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Luce (Post 1567601)
It's the CF codec included with Vegas 6, is it actually possible to upgrade it? Or reinstall it separately from Vegas? Presumably I'd reinstall the entire Vegas software?

Oh... I didn't realize that. So, you created these in Vegas v6 with the included CF codec, now are running 9.0c, they're not loading. Did you just upgrade the existing install of Vegas to v9? So the old codec is still there somewhere? Either way, I suspect that this is probably something that Cineform have run into before, I'm sure if you contact them, they'll likely have a solution.

Also, are you running Vegas 32bit or 64bit? Perhaps you just need a 64bit CF codec installed?