DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Sony VEGAS PRO 10 Announced! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/484534-sony-vegas-pro-10-announced.html)

Adrian Bueno Escolar September 10th, 2010 05:52 AM

Sony VEGAS PRO 10 Announced!

IBC, Amsterdam, 10th September 2010 – At the IBC Conference in Amsterdam, Sony Creative Software today announced the most recent upgrade to Sony’s award-winning nonlinear HD video and audio editing application, Vegas Pro 10. The software application provides broad audio and video support for media ingest, editing and delivery workflows for a wide variety of professional production.

New features in the 32 and 64-bit versions of Vegas Pro 10 include powerful stereoscopic 3D editing tools. Additional features include enhanced closed captioning, broadened video effect support and new event level audio effects, as well as workflow and user interface enhancements. These updates will enable professional media creators to quickly produce and deliver compelling content for broadcast distribution, theatrical releases, YouTube 3D and prepare content for DVD and Blu-ray™ titles.

Vegas Pro 10 Feature Highlights include:

* Stereoscopic 3D Editing: Vegas Pro 10 facilitates the creation of 3D projects by enabling users to import, adjust, edit, preview and export stereoscopic 3D projects with no additional tools or plug-ins. While fully compatible with the latest 3D TV technology, anaglyph viewing is also provided making it possible to preview in 3D on any monitor
* Improved Closed Captioning: Improved support for closed captions enables broadcasters to preview captions in the Preview and Trimmer windows for increased accuracy and ease of editing. Other improvements include increased support for line 21 closed captions, HD-SDI closed captions, multiple closed captioning file types as well as the ability to export captions for Sony DVD Architect™, YouTube™, RealPlayer®, QuickTime™, and Windows Media Player®
* Expanded Multicam Functionality: Updated multicam feature provides a more robust editing and preview experience by offering the ability to view the multicam source clips and the full-screen edited program output simultaneously

* Improved support for DSLR video: Performance improvements make editing video from popular DSLR cameras faster and easier
* Track Grouping: This update offers a quick and easy way to organise and manage complex projects by grouping related sections of video and audio together for a cleaner working environment
* Advanced Transport Controls: UI modifications offer more efficient access to important editing tools, providing a more intuitive workflow while improving overall productivity
* Image Stabilisation: New stabilisation tools greatly reduce jittery or ‘shaky’ video sometimes caused by hand-held recording

* Video Plug-in SDK: Video Effects Plug-in Architecture: Vegas Pro 10 now offers completely new video effects plug-in architecture based on the Open Effects Association standard. This open, industry leading standard was created from the combined experience of the leading companies in the visual effects realm. The new architecture is accessed by a software development kit (SDK) which is more powerful and reduces the developer’s workload by automating UI – both of which will benefit editors by expanding greatly the available visual effects for Vegas Pro 10
* GPU Accelerated AVC Encoding: Users with CUDA-enabled nVidia video cards are now able to encode to the Sony AVC format with improved rendering performance and speed
* Device Support: Sony continues to add expanded device support with each new version including HD-SDI adapters, Sony NXCAM cameras, and broader support for DVD and Blu-ray optical burning drives

* Audio Event FX: For more precise control over the placement of audio effects, Vegas Pro 10 allows editors to assign audio effects at the master output, bus level, track level and now the event level for greater flexibility when working with multitrack projects
* Input Busses: Input Busses now enable editors to record, mix and monitor audio from external hardware devices
* VU meters: The Vegas Pro Mixing Console view becomes even more powerful with the addition of VU metering
* Track Meters: Track Meters provide direct feedback and a faster editing workflow throughout the record, edit and mix process

Bruce Phung September 10th, 2010 06:55 AM

Sony A++++++++++++ I can't wait to upgrade from 9.0. Exactly what I have to do to enable my computer to use my Nivida GTX260 card? It does automatically? or i have to change settings. I appreciate if someone here can give some details how it done to get GPU Acceleration.

Mike Kujbida September 10th, 2010 07:36 AM

Be advised that the release date is Oct. 10. 2010

Bruce, here's what the Sony site said about GPU rendering.

GPU-Accelerated AVC Encoding

Editors using a CUDA-enabled NVIDIA® video card are able to encode to the Sony AVC format using GPU-accelerated rendering - providing improved AVC rendering performance and speed, ensuring final projects are published faster than ever before.

Magnus Helander September 10th, 2010 07:37 AM

Link

Ships from October 11
Vegas Pro 10 Coming Soon Overview

Image Stabilizer is proDAD's Mercalli
Mercalli V2

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/...ingconsole.jpg

Great stuff!

/m

James Binder September 10th, 2010 07:37 AM

more...

Sony Unveils Vegas Pro 10 Software Featuring Native Stereoscopic 3D Video Editing Workflow - Technology News - redOrbit

Adrian Bueno Escolar September 10th, 2010 07:39 AM

YouTube - Sony Vegas Pro 10 - the real one

James Binder September 10th, 2010 07:42 AM

<<Improved support for DSLR video: Performance improvements make editing video from popular DSLR cameras faster and easier>>

Wish they were a tad more specific here. Native mp4 editing? :-) pipe dream?

James Binder September 10th, 2010 07:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Cool stuff...

Jeff Harper September 10th, 2010 09:44 AM

This release sounds exciting. I will be prepared for a glitchy first release, as we all should be; but this does sound pretty cool.

Craig Longman September 10th, 2010 10:41 AM

I'm excited to see the OFX support for plug-ins, it's a very tedious plug-in API, C based and named property get/set system. But it does provide for far more interaction with the host application. And it's widely used by the 'big boys' in the FX world.

I'll be really disappointed if they don't implement that API in VMS. The two APIs are so different, it would be unnecessarily tedious for developers to have to implement both.

Dror Levi September 10th, 2010 03:03 PM

Anything about real-time performance?

Jim Snow September 10th, 2010 06:11 PM

I gather this means no GPU supported rendering for MPEG?

"GPU Accelerated AVC Encoding: Users with CUDA-enabled nVidia video cards are now able to encode to the Sony AVC format with improved rendering performance and speed"

Tom Robertson September 10th, 2010 06:32 PM

Can't wait for this one! Has some stuff I can use immediately.

Randall Leong September 10th, 2010 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Snow (Post 1568073)
I gather this means no GPU supported rendering for MPEG?

Regrettably, MPEG encoding is still software-only. That's because systems with relatively fast CPUs - even with sluggish GPUs or a mere IGP - can already encode 1080p MPEG in real-time.

Vincent Mesman September 11th, 2010 02:22 AM

I´m in heaven!

Talked to the Sony guy at IBC and he remembered seeing Vegas pro 10 in combination with nvidia 3D-vision.

That would mean you do not have to buy a 3D capable HDSDI adapter to connect to a relatively cheap 3D capable computer screen in combination with active glasses to view in 100% 1920x1080p25.

However, if you want to connect to one of those brand new Sony 3D broadcast monitors (wearing passive "real 3D" glasses) you still need a Blackmagic Design or AJA adapter. I think this limits the optical resolution by 50%.

Be warned that support for nvidia 3D-vision might not be implemented in a first release.

From October 11 on there will be a fully functional 30-days demo version of Vegas pro v10 available for download.

Sean Seah September 11th, 2010 08:11 AM

There is slight mention of dslr support but it seems that transcoding with cineform is still required?

Randall Leong September 11th, 2010 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Seah (Post 1568257)
There is slight mention of dslr support but it seems that transcoding with cineform is still required?

Actually, it can handle footage from some DSLRs directly - particularly those that record in AVCHD format. However, for best performance with such AVCHD footage one of certain NVIDIA CUDA cards is strongly recommended.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincent Mesman (Post 1568179)
From October 11 on there will be a fully functional 30-days demo version of Vegas pro v10 available for download.

This is in slight contrast to Vegas 9 Pro, which in its trial version all video formats are supported for both import and export but only 2-channel stereo audio in LPCM or 192kbps Dolby Digital Studio is supported. A paid registration is required for multichannel audio support or for additional customizable audio formats including Dolby Digital Pro.

Jim Snow September 11th, 2010 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magnus Helander (Post 1567914)

Image Stabilizer is proDAD's Mercalli
Mercalli V2

Does Sony specifically state that the stabilizer is the full Mercalli V2? Or is it a "lite" version. Mercalli V2 looks good. I just want to be sure that I won't be given the 'opportunity' to upgrade it to the full featured version after I buy a Pro 10 upgrade.

Brian Luce September 11th, 2010 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randall Leong (Post 1568271)
Actually, it can handle footage from some DSLRs directly - particularly those that record in AVCHD format. However, for best performance with such AVCHD footage one of certain NVIDIA CUDA cards is strongly recommended.

I wish they'd put more effort into the DSLR compatibility. Are there really that many people who use Vegas interested in 3d shooting and editing?

Nicholas de Kock September 11th, 2010 01:47 PM

Will Vegas 10 make Matrox support & other high quality plug-ins available for After Effects & Premier possible?

Andy Wilkinson September 11th, 2010 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Luce (Post 1568358)
I wish they'd put more effort into the DSLR compatibility. Are there really that many people who use Vegas interested in 3d shooting and editing?

Yes but Sony is really, really pushing 3D - that's why it's in there. Sure looks like a nice upgrade from my (recently purchased) Vegas 9E but I'm not going to fork out money for yet another software upgrade just yet. My set-up is running so nice and stable (and as we all know, early versions of Vegas can be a bit troublesome - it usually takes them until about D or E before they get the glitches all sorted, at least that's my opinion).

Bruce Phung September 11th, 2010 03:19 PM

I wish they included 24mbs avchd encoding. But I don't see it mentioned, probably still is 15mbs.

Jim Snow September 11th, 2010 03:42 PM

Sony backs itself into a corner sometimes. They tend to segregate the market into 'neat little segments', in an effort to control these segment to suit their own interests (read - $$$). I suspect the AVC bitrate limitation is one of those cases. AVC bitrates above 15 mbs are 'reserved' for a higher-level market segment. The problem - for Sony is they box themselves in with these maneuvers which causes them to get bit where they normally expect to sit down.by the competition. I suspect it's difficult for Sony to understand they don't control the market as much as they think they do.

Ron Cooper September 12th, 2010 12:24 AM

Surely they would not have 24Mbt encoding, which I expected in V9. It is now in some of the low end editors such as Cyberlink Power Director if I'm not mistaken. This would wipe it out for me.

With all the raving on about 3D, how many, say, wedding videographers and lots of others, are going to be fussed about this ? I'm sure they'd be more impressed with down to earth things like 24Mbt encoding and faster rendering etc. as this translates to better video quality and more efficient workflow for the vast majority who have no intention of going to 3D for years yet.

RonC.

Prech Marton September 12th, 2010 02:40 AM

I personally really like the 3D editing feature. I have taken many 3D videos in the last months. :-)
As for 24mbit avchd, why don't use debugmode frameserver, and render with a thirdparty encoder, that support this format? Isn't available such one? I don't know, i edit mainly DV and HDV.

What i like to see in future version is the directx accelerated preview window, new effects, transitions (for example the push and slide transition with accelerated speed not with linear, a really nice glow transition, a better titler, set markers while capturing, better slow-mo algorithm, etc..)

Arkady Bolotin September 12th, 2010 03:49 AM

Apropos, are you aware that you can edit stereoscopic 3D (S3D) video also in Vegas 9.0e without any add-ons or additional tools?

Those who are interested in editing S3D video in Vegas pro 9 may search the Net for the Workflow Paper (revised April 2, 2010) detailing in five steps how to achieve this without costly upgrade to version 10.

Prech Marton September 12th, 2010 05:14 AM

No. I made a relaxing 3D movie (check my homepage) for which i used
8.0c and it worked very well (syncronizing clips, grouping them together,
render the left and right tracks to separate files, sometimes without recompression, etc..)
I even buyed a Zalman Trimon and, can set the preview window to interlaced 3D with a mask,
so INSTANT 3D is possible while editing.
Last summer i worked with 2d wedding videos, and take 3d nature and family videos, but don't have
time to edit it. This time we was in Austria.
So if Vegas 10 will have even better 3d workflow, then it's a good news to me!
It will be arrived just in time :)

Jeff Harper September 12th, 2010 08:08 AM

I do not understand the technicalities, but had been waiting for gpu utilization for the purpose of enhancing ACVHD, etc., performance on the timeline, not rendering. Rendering speeds as they are are fine with the newer processors, IMO.

Dan Lambert September 12th, 2010 12:10 PM

Will they have an upgrade price for those of us who just bought Vegas 9?

Mike Kujbida September 12th, 2010 01:12 PM

Dan, what has happened in the past is that users who bought a previous release less than a month before a new release was announced got the new version for free.
You'll have to wait until this version is released on Oct. 11 to see if this policy is still followed or not.

Adrian Bueno Escolar September 12th, 2010 04:36 PM

i dont know.... 3D feature is not a prime thing for Vegas.. i´d like to see another improvements before that...
the 3D market i just another fever moment but i don see that as the main future of video.. just check the movies! they asre thinking 3D is just a moment but not the future of films indistry.

Mike Calla September 12th, 2010 09:41 PM

biggest plus for me is the audio metering at the track level - very important in the audio world!!

Jim Snow September 12th, 2010 09:46 PM

I also like the ability to apply audio FX to the event level.

Michael Wisniewski September 12th, 2010 10:00 PM

- I'm liking the new Group Tracks function. Should be interesting to see how to incorporate that into the workflow.

- The GPU accelerated rendering is Sony AVC only, but I'm wondering if the Enhanced Video Plug-in Architecture (EVPIA) is designed to allow other codec makers to take advantage of GPU acceleration.

- As for the Updated Transport Controls - is this a case of catch up or is it something new? Can't find a screenshot for it.

David Johns September 13th, 2010 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Snow (Post 1568739)
I also like the ability to apply audio FX to the event level.

I second that! And grouping tracks for better workflow will be lovely too. Built-in stabiliser is great, saves me buying Mercalli which I was just about to do :-)

But I couldn't care less about 3D, closed captions and encoding to AVC, alas. I still render to old-fashioned mpeg-2 for DVDs, by and large.

David Stoneburner September 13th, 2010 11:46 AM

What sucks for me is that I just built my new system with an ATI video card because my previous NLE recommended ATI. Now I have to upgrade 2 things.

Gerald Webb September 13th, 2010 04:34 PM

Does anyone know if the keyframing system has been updated?
Bezier curves and track view to pull your own interpolation would be a massive step forward.
3D...... yeah great I guess, IMO, would have been better to implement the use of a camera track to get things going in real 3D space ala After Effects. I know they are different things, just think it would have been more useful to more people.
On that note,
HEY MR SONY,
When are you going to release a motion graphics software to complement Vegas,
Imagine, going between Vegas and another software like AFX and Premiere Pro, or Final Cut and Motion.
It would be sooooo good.

Ian Stark September 17th, 2010 01:37 PM

With you on the camera track, Gerald. I spend too much time moving planes around 2.5d space when I should be directing a virtual camera.

Real time event level audio fx good for me too.

Grouping tracks sounds very useful indeed.

I could care less about the 3d stuff though - I'm always behind the curve and plan to stay there for as long as my clients pay me to make dull old 2d videos for them.

David Jasany September 23rd, 2010 05:53 AM

I skipped 9 and I'll definitely be upgrading to 10. Although I don't have any plans for 3D, there's plenty other exciting enhancements. Hopefully Sony will continue the upgrade program that we all know and love!

Robert M Wright October 3rd, 2010 12:30 PM

3D movies were around since well before I was born, and I'm not exactly a spring chicken anymore. 3D was basically a novelty thingy then, and always will be. Television that requires wearing a special pair of glasses is just never going to be enthusiastically welcomed into the mainstream.

I don't know what the camera manufacturers and NLE makers think small scale video production pros (or serious amateurs) are going to do with this stuff. For goodness sake, they haven't exactly made it easy for anyone, aside from the big movies studios, to publish even just plain-ole 2D HD content that's universally compatible for playback on Blu-Ray players. So, they expect flocks of us to run out and buy some way overpriced 3D capable production equipment (cranking the complexity of production to a whole new level) and NLEs to edit the unwieldy output ...and then what????

Frankly, when the Blu-Ray folks haven't even made it mandatory for set-top manufactures to support playback of mainstream video content burned onto BD-R disks (not exactly a huge technical challenge), I'm sure as heck not interested in venturing off into the utterly untamed wilderness of video production, that's basically somewhat akin to parachuting into the Yukon just to see a little wildlife up close, instead of simply going to the local zoo.