DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Recording Voice Overs and Capturing Analog Video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/488208-recording-voice-overs-capturing-analog-video.html)

Jerry Neal November 29th, 2010 01:04 PM

Recording Voice Overs and Capturing Analog Video

Hello,

I'm wanting to record VOs and also create "podcasts" at home using Vegas. Based on limited research, it looks like I need to purchase a capture card that allows me to record audio and then import it into Vegas via firewire. In addition, I'd also like to find a card that would allow me to take old, analog VCR footage and import this into the Vegas timeline.

Is there a capture card/hardware device that would allow me to both record VO audio and capture analog video?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Jerry

Edward Troxel November 29th, 2010 01:34 PM

For the audio, Vegas can record straight from your sound card. Just plug in the mic, arm the channel to record, and start recording straight to the timeline.

To capture VCR footage, I'd get a converter box like the Canopus ADVC series. You plug the output from the VCR into the analog inputs and the connect that box to the computer via firewire. Then you capture as standard DV footage.

Dale Guthormsen November 29th, 2010 01:39 PM

Good afternoon,

your windows software will already have a recorder in it!! I just use Vegas and run it through the recorder in my computer. I do use a preamp so that I can use my high quality microphones.

Go to accessories, entertainment, sound recorder. It will record the wave file, import it into Vegas and edit as desired.

You could just video yourself doing your blog, import it via firewire capturing in vegas, if you do not want the video, click on it, hit U for ungroup delete the video and you have a wave file.

to make it smaller the render it as a mp3 file by going to file, render as.

Just some thoughts.

Edward Troxel November 29th, 2010 02:11 PM

Dale, why use "sound recorder" when you can simply record direct to the timeline in Vegas?

Stan Harkleroad November 29th, 2010 06:35 PM

Like Edward said, record directly to your PC with Vegas for the audio.

It depends on what kind of microphone you have as to how you connect to the PC. If you have a battery powered mic with a 1/8" connector you can plug directly into the sound card on your PC. If you have a an XLR mic that needs phantom power you'll need a mixer, preamp, or other power source that will power your mic properly and send the signal to your PC.

As for transferring analog footage you might look at getting a used consumer camcorder that has analog pass through. Go from the RCA outputs of the VCR into the camera and from firewire on the camera to the PC. You can play through the camera and capture in real time to whatever format you want on the PC. I have an old cheap JVC Mini-DV camera that got dropped more than once and doesn't film anymore so I use it specifically for this purpose when I need to.

I think some of the Canon consumer cameras have the pass through feature and you could get them off eBay pretty cheap.

Robin Davies-Rollinson November 30th, 2010 01:48 AM

For voice-over work, I use the Samson CO3 USB mic, which gives very good results indeed - and I record directly to the timeline in Vegas.
Since I like to close-mic a lot of items, I also use a pop-guard.

Ray Barber November 30th, 2010 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Davies-Rollinson (Post 1593470)
I also use a pop-guard.

Is that to keep your whiskers clear of the mic. Robin? :)

Robin Davies-Rollinson November 30th, 2010 07:35 AM

You've been peeking!!!

Edward Troxel November 30th, 2010 07:37 AM

One solution I've used a few times is to use our sound system at church. We have a CD recorder hooked up there and I can just use that system and record the audio straight to a CD. Then I import the CD into Vegas and do whatever editing I need. All a matter of where you are, what you have, and how you need to get things done.

Richard Steenson June 11th, 2013 12:18 PM

Re: Recording Voice Overs and Capturing Analog Video

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Troxel (Post 1593323)
Dale, why use "sound recorder" when you can simply record direct to the timeline in Vegas?

Hi Edward,
Trying to do exactly that at the moment but having trouble getting a recorded-in-timeline VO track to render with the original video track and associated audio. Sounds fine in preview-I can hear both tracks- it's wedding footage/rough cuts/assemblage to which I'm trying to add audio notes & post to my Vimeo account so the couple & I can discuss, without endless emails, what to do with the footage at specific points as I work through editing it- but neither prerendering a looped region nor full render includes it.

I'm using Vegas HD Plat 10. Have I just botched the "grouping" or do I need to tell Vegas something else to associate that VO track with the rest ?

Thx in advance for any neon you can shine into what's happening in my ignorant amateur little corner of Vegas. At this rate, these poor kids will be divorced before I get their wedding video finished.

Richard Steenson June 11th, 2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Troxel (Post 1593323)

Hi Edward,
Trying to do exactly that at the moment but having trouble getting a recorded-in-timeline VO track to render with the original video track and associated audio. Sounds fine in preview-I can hear both tracks- it's wedding footage/rough cuts/assemblage to which I'm trying to add audio notes & post to my Vimeo account so the couple & I can discuss, without endless emails, what to do with the footage at specific points as I work through editing it- but neither prerendering a looped region nor full render includes it.

I'm using Vegas HD Plat 10. Have I just botched the "grouping" or do I need to tell Vegas something else to associate that VO track with the rest ?

Thx in advance for any neon you can shine into what's happening in my ignorant amateur little corner of Vegas. At this rate, these poor kids will be divorced before I get their wedding video finished.

Edward Troxel June 12th, 2013 09:03 AM

You have to make sure the proper inputs are selected. Then arm the track for recording - you can test and the meter on that track should change. Then just start recording to record directly to the Vegas track.