DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Can't Select Video FX Icons on clips on the timeline (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/488535-cant-select-video-fx-icons-clips-timeline.html)

Jim Snow December 6th, 2010 05:12 PM

Can't Select Video FX Icons on clips on the timeline

I'm using Vegas Pro 10 and I have managed to do something that keeps me from opening the Video FX icon on individual clips in the time line. This only happens on one track. The other tracks work fine. It is associated with the project. I can close and reopen Vegas and reopen the project and the problem still exists. I'm sure it's something I did but for the life of me I can't figure out what.

I experimented with individual clips and found that it is somehow a track property that is causing this. I can drag a clip to another track and I can then select the Video FX icon just fine. Or I can drag a clip from another track to the problem track and then I can't select the Video FX icon.

Any suggestions?

Phil Gosselin December 6th, 2010 05:55 PM

Maybe it is a bug with you project. Try opening another instance of Vegas and copy/paste your whole project in that new instance.

Hope it helps

Phil

Graham Bernard December 6th, 2010 11:42 PM

Here's a thought, perhaps you are, it's just that the FX menu has been collapsed to a few pixels. I've had this before with Control menus. I hadn't been aware that I had previously collapsed the menu/s. Nonetheless, there it was, tucked up in the top left corner. Now, my theory falls on its face as to why this does NOT happen to Newly placed events. But again that is clue too.

Anyway, try and have a real good, careful look around your Workspace maybe it's lurking and you haven't seen it?

Grazie

Jim Snow December 6th, 2010 11:58 PM

Thanks Graham but that doesn't appear to be the problem. I misspoke earlier. It happens all the time now. I tried removing and reinstalling Vegas Pro 10 but that didn't do anything. It isn't something in the project file. I installed Vegas on my laptop and my projects behave normally there. The only clue I have is that I was working away normally earlier in the day and suddenly it stopped working correctly. Perhaps I hit a key that caused it?

Leslie Wand December 7th, 2010 12:06 AM

ctl+shift+c

Jim Snow December 7th, 2010 12:16 AM

Thanks Leslie but all that seems to do is make the icon appear or go away. When it appears, it still doesn't cause the FX dialog box to appear when I click on it.

Leslie Wand December 7th, 2010 12:22 AM

sorry.

have you tried selecting default screen layout? maybe the dialogue box is opening somewhere 'off' screen?

Jim Snow December 7th, 2010 12:27 AM

Thanks sounds like you may be onto something. Where do I set default screen layout?

Graham Bernard December 7th, 2010 12:36 AM

Cleaned out the keyboard lately?

I once had a Ctrl key sticking, and THAT was a real PITA! It was only when, in a fit of peek, I smashed my keys and a cloud of detritus blew up in my face that I thought: Allo' Allo', wots all this then??? I then turned the kb upside down, holding the connect wire, and thwacked its backside, new born baby kinda way, and BINGO! - Could've made soup out of what fell to Earth

Grazie

Leslie Wand December 7th, 2010 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Snow (Post 1595700)
Thanks sounds like you may be onto something. Where do I set default screen layout?

view > windows layouts

Jim Snow December 7th, 2010 11:14 AM

Thanks everyone for your suggestions but none of these things were the problem. I even tried a different keyboard. Since I have confirmed on another computer that the project file is fine and have uninstalled and reinstalled Vegas on my problem system with no effect on the problem, it may be that whatever mode it is apparently stuck in is 'planted' in the registry. I may need to uninstall Vegas again and run a registry cleaner before reinstalling Vegas.

Please let me know if you have any other ideas. Thanks!

Jim Snow December 7th, 2010 11:25 AM

Here's another piece of info. I still have Vegas Pro 9 on my system. Although it can't open Pro 10 .veg files, I loaded a Ver 9 .veg file and everything works normally. I can then load that same .veg file into Pro 10 and I have the problem. Whatever it is appears to be Ver. 10 specific. It's strange because I have been using Pro 10 for over 2 months without a problem.

Jim Schuchmann December 7th, 2010 11:28 AM

May be a bug. Check out this thread. http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-hap...ficulties.html

Jim Snow December 7th, 2010 12:02 PM

I also posted a tech support question yesterday with Sony. How long does it usually take these guys to respond. Are they truthful or do they play the "Aw shucks, by golly we never heard of that one before" even though they already received a fistful of questions on the same problem?

Jeff Harper December 7th, 2010 04:06 PM

Jim, while certainly not a permanent solution, are you aware you can right click on the clip and bring up the fx box? Or does that not work either?