Any way to get Sony Vegas Platinum 10 to use more than 2 gigs of RAM? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 21st, 2010, 08:42 AM   #1
New Boot

Any way to get Sony Vegas Platinum 10 to use more than 2 gigs of RAM?

So I'm just getting into the whole HD video thing and got my first camera and have decided (I thought) on sony vegas platinum movie studio 10 for editing. I found a good deal on an i7 quad core laptop with a great display so I got it. I proceeded to upgrade to a 7200rpm HDD and from 4 to 8gb of RAM. Excited to see how this affected my rendering times I rendered a 60 second clip in vegas and brought up task manager to monitor how much cpu and ram was being utilized. To my dismay I was only using about 2.5gb of my available 8 gigs of RAM (I am running win 7 64 bit by the way.). So I did some reading and it turns out that sony vegas platinum 10 is only available in a 32bit version and beyond that it only supports the use of 2 gigs of RAM.

Is there any way around this? Even if there isn't a 64 bit version, is there someway I can at least set it to us 4 gigs of RAM?
Daniel Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2010, 10:23 AM   #2
New Boot

I downloaded a trial version of vegas pro 10 64 bit and it STILL is only showing that it's using 2gigs of ram. It did bump up the GPU usage from 10% to about 25% which which was good. But I'm still at a loss as to why the pro version which is 64 bit will only use 2 gigs of RAM. Is this an issue with the trial version that would be fixed if I purchased the full version?
Old December 21st, 2010, 11:49 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Vegas is not a ram intensive application. I suspect it is only using what it needs.
Old December 21st, 2010, 12:45 PM   #4
Major Player

I believe that all consumer video editing applications, including Vegas Movie Studio, are strictly 32-bit. As such, these $100-ish programs cannot use more than 2GB per process.
Randall Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2010, 04:21 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Daniel, stop looking under the hood. Just pay attention to rendering times and timeline performance. My PC has 12GB of ram and when rendering is only using 2.5 or so of ram also.

The performance you need to pay attention to is the amount of time a render takes, not what is happening in task manager, etc.

You will also find your cpu is likely not utilized 100% during rendering. That too is normal.

Just edit, everything is fine. Vegas is not a car that can be tinkered with to "go faster". Just buy the fastest cpu you can afford, etc. Other than overclocking there really isn't much you can do to improve performance. Faster hard drives are nice, etc., but for the most part it's all in the CPU when it comes to Vegas.

For AVCHD I've heard running RAID 0 with 4-6 drives can be a huge help with timeline performance, but I've not tried it.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; December 21st, 2010 at 05:02 PM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2010, 04:31 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Duplicate post.
Old December 22nd, 2010, 12:30 PM   #7
New Boot

well at least that makes it an easy choice for me between pro and the $80 suite on amazon.
Old December 22nd, 2010, 05:05 PM   #8
Inner Circle

You can't use scripts with Studio versions, and some plug-ins, such as Ultimate S will not function with them either.

64 bit versions tend to render a cleaner product, at least that has been my experience.

If the studio version is all you need, lucky you, you'll save lots of money. But you will lost LOTS of flexibility (plug ins, unlimited lines of video, etc). I had a studio version early on, but eventually needed to upgrade. Kind of depends on your needs.
Old January 4th, 2011, 08:08 AM   #9

Daniel,

Download CFF Explorer which is a program that allows you to access the .exe file of Pro 10 to allow it to use more than 2gb.

NTCore's Homepage

It does work.
Lee Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2011, 08:22 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Lee, what is the end result of using more ram with Vegas? Better previewing, timeline performance?
Old January 4th, 2011, 08:41 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Mullenberg View Post
Daniel,
Download CFF Explorer which is a program that allows you to access the .exe file of Pro 10 to allow it to use more than 2gb.
NTCore's Homepage
It does work.
Lee is correct about this program.
Here's the thread on the Sony Vegas forum where CFF Explorer was first talked about and the responses from many thrilled users.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2011, 09:23 AM   #12
Sponsor: JET DV

It's much easier to just upgrade to the Pro version and use the 64-bit version of Pro.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2011, 09:33 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Ed, I think his complaint is with the 64 bit version not using adequate amounts of RAM. From what I read in the link Mike put up it is an issue, apparently...though I really don't know much about it.
Old January 4th, 2011, 10:19 AM   #14
Sponsor: JET DV

32 bit apps have a 2 Gig limit. You can fake it into using more using a program such as that mentioned above. However, you do risk instability when doing that. 64-bit apps are not limited to 2 Gig so simply switching to a 64-bit app will immediately make more than 2 Gig available to you without having to go through tricks of any sort. And the original post here was about Vegas Movie Studio and all Movie Studio versions are 32-bit.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2011, 10:21 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Webb View Post
I downloaded a trial version of vegas pro 10 64 bit and it STILL is only showing that it's using 2gigs of ram.
Ed, according to the link Mike put up this is an issue many have found. The program being recommended apparently is helping many people with crashing during complex renders.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...