DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   A Vegas computer--in general terms (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/491972-vegas-computer-general-terms.html)

Edward Troxel February 22nd, 2011 07:53 AM

Re: A Vegas computer--in general terms

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Stanislav (Post 1620544)
Information? I thought he was saying his computer was running Vista and he was going to replace it with Windows 7 soon.

Ahh... I read it as he was wanting to buy a new computer and you wouldn't want to bring Vista in on that discussion - my mistake.

Phil French February 22nd, 2011 05:32 PM

Yep, that is what I meant (on my computer) - sorry if I wasn't clear. I built my latest almost two years ago now (i7 had just come on the market). If those older quads are atill two hundred and fifty bucks - i5 does sound like a better bet!

Andy Tejral February 22nd, 2011 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randall Leong (Post 1620569)
In fact, if you're spending anywhere close to $200 for just a CPU, you're better off with a quad-core i5. (Though i5 will still lag behind an i7 in video editing performance because the quad-core i5's lack HyperThreading, and the NLEs do take significant advantage of HT.)

You're talkin' Sandy Bridge or Pre-SB?

The simple math seems to be pre/post sandy bridge processors will be very close in price with a significant performance jump? Is that a true statement? (I'm asking--not proclaiming anything--have no knowledge of any 'o this stuff.)

Randall Leong February 23rd, 2011 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Tejral (Post 1621038)
You're talkin' Sandy Bridge or Pre-SB?

I'm talking about either. The earlier i5-7xx series CPUs are a tad faster per clock than a Core 2 Quad. The SB ones are a sizable performance jump over the Lynndales.

Steve Rusk February 23rd, 2011 04:29 AM

One of the cheapest (and easiest) ways of improving performance is by adding more RAM to your computer. You wrote your current PC has 2 GB of RAM. Half of that is going to your OS, so Vegas is only working with 1 GB of RAM, not much for a video editor. While you save up for i7 and/or Vegas 10, I'd suggest adding 2 GB (more if you use 64 bit Windows).

Andy Tejral February 23rd, 2011 07:53 AM

Dude! Memory is almost free! 8 gig for $80? That's incredible!

Bryan Cantwell February 25th, 2011 09:09 AM

I wouldn't even consider building a computer for Vegas Pro unless you're going i7. :)

I wouldn't say "skimp" on things like the graphics card or RAM, but I would definitely budget toward the fastest i7 proc you can, and let the rest of it fall into place from there.

Jeff Harper March 2nd, 2011 10:59 AM

If you are editing HD, I recommend a four disc Raid 0 for your scratch drive, or use raided SSD drives.

Why? I just switched to using this arrangement for my SD footage, and what a difference on the timeline. Preview performance has been improved more by this than anything since I went i7. Editing three camera project is like butter, it's like night and day.