DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   import SWF into vegas 10? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/492607-import-swf-into-vegas-10-a.html)

Dave Stern March 3rd, 2011 12:48 PM

import SWF into vegas 10?

hi guys - I have a small (13 second) SWF flash clip I'd like to use in my vegas 10 project (clip is a title generated from an old copy of wild fx pro) .. I can generate and pull in the flash clip, but it shows as empty on my timeline .. I've changed the alpha settings on my timeline just to see if that would change anything but none make it appear (forget transparency, which I don't need anyway for this one).

I suppose I could download / install something to convert it to avi, mpeg, etc. but I'm thinking that if vegas knows what the file is, which is does (correctly reports FPS, etc), then perhaps there's only some small tweek I need to do to get the clip to show in my composite ??? ..

I suppose I could use a different titling too, but I have the title all done and am hoping for a quick import .. I'll deal with a new titler later ..(and due to quicktime 'upgrades', the wildfx can no longer output avi, since it fails at the interface to quicktime (which is probably why wildfx dropped their AVI, etc. output, my guess..too hard to maintain the quicktime interface)).

any thoughts welcomed .. THANK YOU!

edit: in fact I know vegas has some clue about the clip, it reports the plug-in as swfplug.dll (version 1.0 build 7833), so I'm under the impression that vegas is trying to decode the clip .. (and I didn't find anything in vegas help or similar)

Edward Troxel March 3rd, 2011 01:03 PM

Re: import SWF into vegas 10?

Vegas will only import certain SWF files. You can see the complete details in Sony's support area. You may need to use some other program to convert it into a format that Vegas can read.

Dave Stern March 3rd, 2011 02:34 PM

Edward, thanks for your reply .. good idea to check the sony board .. found the following which seems to be an old answer (vegas 8) but maybe still the case, only vector text in a flash object can be imported, nothing else (no movies, etc):

SWF support in Vegas

my text animation in the SWF is probably a movie, not vector text, so that's probably my answer ..
thanks for the sounding board ..

any other comments welcomed too .. TIA..

Enrique Orozco Robles March 5th, 2011 08:46 AM

... try importing the SWF in flash (if you have it), then export the movie as PNG sequence and open the sequence (import media) in Vegas...

good luck

Dave Stern March 5th, 2011 08:04 PM

Enrique - thanks .. good idea, although I don't have the flash product. I tried a few of those SWF converters but they're all terrible - screen capture and didn't even work. I found one better but it really didn't work well either.

I ended up installing a downlevel of quicktime that wildfx pro could talk to in order to generate an AVI file, brought that into vegas and that worked. But, the output was still too choppy, so I ended up taking a few quick tutorials on the vegas pro type titler and ended up using that right in vegas. It's not quite what I had with the other title but is pretty nice and gave me something with a little life in it rather than static text, so worked out fine. and now I know how to use it for next time, and it really can do quite a few things.

very much appreciate your suggestion, will look into it since the wildfx generator still has some use for me, even if it is a few years old.