DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Sony Vegas MSHD (Plat) and JVC GY500 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/499027-sony-vegas-mshd-plat-jvc-gy500.html)

Roy Sallows July 30th, 2011 04:56 PM

Sony Vegas MSHD (Plat) and JVC GY500

I have had my JVC for more than a year now. JVC Canada did an enormous favor and repaired the tape transport for me in February and March this year, and I have shot some footage, getting to know the camera. I am distinctly delighted with this camera... yeah, I know it's old technology but it's really good old technology!
I bought Vegas MSHDPlat v.10, but I haven't opened it yet. if I can't use it, and open it, I will have a very expensive (to me) ashtray, if I still smoked. (I have promised my wife never to smoke anything legal again.)
My (probably really dumb) question is this -
Is the JVC Mini-DV format accessible to the Vegas?
FYI, Vegas says that it captures DV, HDV, AVCHD, MP4 and DVD camcorders. The JVC Specifications say that it records DV. But the camera was built in 2000, and Sony is referring to the Vegas programs coming on line approximately in 2004 and so forth.
Be gentle, please. I am a Luddite who is struggling to change.
Thanks...
Roy

Don Bloom July 30th, 2011 05:04 PM

Re: Sony Vegas MSHD (Plat) and JVC GY500

Roy, there should be no problem at all capturing and editing the DV footage. I used to have a JVC5000U which was the next model after the 500 and you're right, it was and is a great camera and producing a great image. Old technology? Yep, good stuff? Yep and Vegas, pretty much any flavor will accept the DV footage gladly.
Have fun!

Mike Kujbida July 30th, 2011 09:38 PM

I had a pair of those cameras at work that just got retired this year with the purchase of the new 750s (HD 16:9 at long last).
The old JVCs were real workhorses and never let me down.
Because they had 1/2" chips, they were much better in low light situations than the new ones which are only 1/3"models.
We were fortunate in that we bought Canon 20:1 lenses for the old JVCs as the stock lens wasn't that good.
My workplace has a pair of the JVC miniDV/SVHS combo decks that we used to firewire the footage into Vegas.

Roy Sallows July 31st, 2011 08:32 PM

Don, Mike...

Thanks. I mean that. I'd write more, but I've got to open the box, and install Vegas on my computer! It's astounding what a little good (great) news can do for a lagging spirit! We ever meet up, first two beer are on me!

Roy

Mike Kujbida August 1st, 2011 06:24 AM

Roy, I'm always glad to give a fellow Canadian some encouragement :)
It's a great camera and I know you're going to like it.
You can use any miniDV camcorder (even a cheap one) for capturing purposes so that you don't wear out the transport and firewire connector on the big JVC.
If you ever have any questions about it, let me know.

Roy Sallows August 3rd, 2011 04:57 AM

Thanks, Mike. As a writer turned producer / director / narrator / editor / composer / camop / sound and whatever else needs doing, I greatly appreciate the offer. Life is a party, isn't it?