DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   How to handle Pixel Aspect 1.33 & 1.00 (square) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/499431-how-handle-pixel-aspect-1-33-1-00-square.html)

Tim Akin August 10th, 2011 09:05 AM

How to handle Pixel Aspect 1.33 & 1.00 (square)

I have footage from an FX1000, which is HDV 1080p 30 and soon to have GH2 AVCHD, 720p 30 or 1080i 60. From what I have learned this is no big deal.

What is a big deal,I think, is the HDV is 1.33 pixel aspect and the AVCHD is 1.00 (square). don't even know what this means, but it can't be good to have both in the same project.

Is there any way both can be used in a Vegas project without converting one or both?

Thanks
Tim

Edward Troxel August 10th, 2011 10:47 AM

Re: How to handle Pixel Aspect 1.33 & 1.00 (square)

Yes. Just drop them both on the timeline.

Tim Akin August 10th, 2011 11:40 AM

Thanks Edward, if you don't mind, what should the proect settings be?

And should the render setting be the same? I mostly render to SD DVD.

Edward Troxel August 10th, 2011 12:07 PM

If you're rendering to SD DVD, set the project settings to the standard SD Widescreen settings. If you also want to render out an HD version, then set the properties to HD and then just render out to SD Widescreen. Vegas should properly take care of the PAR.

Chris Harding August 11th, 2011 11:50 PM

Hi Edward

I'm pretty sure Tim means Project Properties.. I agree that the render must use the SD Widescreen preset but surely the project properties must be matched to the source footage as it's HD????

I have always set my Project Properties to match the source footage and aspect ...am I wrong????

Of course when rendering I use MPEG2 and (we are PAL) the DVD PAL Widescreen preset but mostly as I'm shooting 720 50P the project properties are set by Vegas to 1280x720 and double frame rate and PAR of 1 ... HDV would have a different PAR and different frame size so can to still use the same frame size for both files since in the end they are going down to SD????

Chris

Edward Troxel August 12th, 2011 06:51 AM

Yes, I understood that. If I am going straight to SD DVD and only SD DVD, I'll set my properties to match the SD DVD so I know I'll get no surprises when I render. If I'm also wanting an HD version, I'll set my properties to match that final output version and then just render to SD at the end.

Setting the project properties to match the footage isn't necessarily a bad idea, though. One big advantage to doing that would be faster previews.

Chris Harding August 12th, 2011 05:37 PM

Thanks Edward

I had no idea that you could simply set your project to say, PAL DV 720x576 and then toss HD 1920x1080 on the timeline and render it out to say MPEG2 with the correct preset!!! I thought the project properties were critical!!

I guess that's why you are the "guru"!!! I'll certainly try it and it also nice to know you can use mixed formats too!!

Chris

Tim Akin August 13th, 2011 07:57 AM

Yes thanks Edward, that's good news.

It's also been suggested that since AVCHD is so hard on CPU's and difficult to edit that setting project properties to match AVCHD is important.

Would you agree with that Edward?