DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas Pro 10 and MOV files (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/504695-vegas-pro-10-mov-files.html)

Sam Kanter January 24th, 2012 02:08 AM

Vegas Pro 10 and MOV files

Is anyone editing MOV files (in my case from Canon 5D Mk II and 60D) with Vegas 10 without transcoding, or is transcoding still needed?

I need to edit a 2-camera shoot with just cuts and dissolves, my system is a Dell i7 860 @ 2.80 mHZ with 8GB RAM.

Is it possible to preview at full resolution, and see transitions without hiccups?

Thanks...

Steve Game January 24th, 2012 02:30 AM

Re: Vegas Pro 10 and MOV files

Vegas 10 Pro 64bit - yes with 12GB RAM in an i7 platform, 32bit in a core 2 with 2GB RAM only a few short clips.

Steve

Leslie Wand January 24th, 2012 03:45 AM

not had to handle many mov files but have found transcoding to mxf works a treat....

Mike Hammond January 24th, 2012 08:48 AM

Sam,

It is possible, but you'll need good RAM and a computer that can handle it (can't tell you exactly what that looks like but I'm running 4GB ram on a pretty-OK computer) otherwise you'll run into problems.

I can edit the mov files from my 5D in Vegas Pro 10 in real time as long as I keep my preview set to "half". The clips won't play smoothly for me on "full" even with no effects added to the clips, and Vegas just automatically drops the preview resolution to "half" anyway.

For my system, editing more than one mov file at a time (re: multi-camera editing) would be a no-no. Would be way too frustrating waiting for Vegas to keep up.

Hope this helps.

Sam Kanter January 25th, 2012 01:26 PM

Mike, as I said my system is a Dell i7 860 @ 2.80 mHZ with 8GB RAM. Seems like that should be hefty enough. I guess I wanted to see a full rez preview, and Vegas can't do it.

Strange, as Avid Pinnacle 14, a consumer program, plays MOV files fine and previews at full resolution. I have to choose between using a less featured program like Pinnacle, or a more full featured program that has issues with the flies.

Does anyone have a link, or instructions for transcoding? Could I see edits in full rez if transcoded forst?

TIA,

Sam Kanter January 26th, 2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leslie Wand (Post 1711223)
not had to handle many mov files but have found transcoding to mxf works a treat....

What's MFX? Link?

Leslie Wand January 26th, 2012 04:57 PM

.mxf

Material Exchange Format - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

built in codec / render template.....

Sam Kanter January 28th, 2012 01:56 PM

What are my options for encoding MOV files? Are they all lossless? After encoding, does Vegas handle the files effortlessly, and in what resolution?

I really wanted to skip the encoding route, but I guess I have to if I want to use Vegas. I still don't get I while a consumer program like Pinnacle or Avid Studio handles MOV files with no issues, and preview can be full resolution.

Thanks in advance...

Mike Feggans January 30th, 2012 09:32 PM

I use a lot of mulitcam and it edits fine. I havent transcoded since upgrading to10. I cant get full res after about 4 clips, but 2-3 its works fine. I have a i.7 3.2 quad with 8 GB of RAM

Sam Kanter January 30th, 2012 11:50 PM

I'm getting jerky playback with transitions, even a dissolve. This happens even in less than full Rez.

Any ideas? My system is similar to yours, i7 2.8 withn 8G .