DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Whites 'overexposed' after burning to DVD? (DVDA) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/505052-whites-overexposed-after-burning-dvd-dvda.html)

Jordan Brindle February 6th, 2012 12:10 PM

Whites 'overexposed' after burning to DVD? (DVDA)

Possibly a stupid question or me overlooking something simple. Whites / skin appears very overexposed/bright after i burn my film to DVD (MPEG2) via DVDA, mostly on outside scene's (sRGB). It has been color corrected. Looks fine on my PC in VLC Media Player, can someone please explain this? Now that im sitting here thinking about it, there's a possibility it may be the picture setting on the TV. Will have to double check but would still appreciate a little input.

Many thanks.

EDIT: While im at it, perhaps i can get 2 birds with one stone. Anyone know why my 4.39GB film is magically turned into 5.2GB when i import to DVDA?

Don Bloom February 6th, 2012 01:11 PM

Re: Whites 'overexposed' after burning to DVD? (DVDA)

Don't understand why the whites are blown out. Never noticed that with DVDA.
I can tell you that DVDA has a known "bug" that over reads the size of the project by about a half a gig sometimes more. If you look at the mph in explorer it will give you the real size. By the way Dvds are generally 4.3 gigs actual finished space. Has to do with formatting on the disc. Don't wily about what Dvds is saying just make sure the size is right in explorer.

Mike Kujbida February 6th, 2012 01:24 PM

Don answered part 2 so I'll take a stab at part 1.
DVDA does nothing to your video so the problem lies in Vegas.
My guess is that the source footage is blown out and needs to be adjusted/corrected.
What does the video look like on your scopes?
If you're not sure how to use them, here's a great tutorial.
Using the Vegas Pro color scopes

Rob Wood February 6th, 2012 01:54 PM

when u encode to mpeg-2 (mpg, m2v, etc) the output luma should range from 016 to 235... any clips that go above/below will need a "Computer to Studio" filter (sRGB to YUV) adding to draw the signal back into legal limits.

the above link Mike provided is probably your best bet if you're unfamiliar with setting/using scopes.

Dennis Vogel February 6th, 2012 03:18 PM

Also, consider whether your PC monitor is adjusted properly. It wouldn't be surprising if the contrast or brightness might be "off" making everything you see on a different display (TV, etc) look different than it did on your computer.

D

David Jimerson February 6th, 2012 04:48 PM

It's probably because a lot of things which look fine on a computer monitor don't necessarily look so fine on a TV screen. You cannot rely on a computer monitor to color-correct for something you're going to watch on a TV.

When you're color correcting, you need to be previewing out to a properly-calibrated NTSC (or PAL, if that's where you are) monitor, or at least a TV you can adjust to be close. Then you'll see what you'll be getting on a TV when you play the DVD.

I would suspect that if you look at your footage in Vegas and check the waveform monitor, you're going to find the whites hitting or exceeding 100. That will cause blowouts. You want to keep them below 100.

Jordan Brindle February 7th, 2012 05:58 AM

Many thanks guys, will double check with Sony Vegas scopes and re-render out and thanks for that tutorial above. About the size issue, i burnt one DVD and upon re-opening the project, the correct size was being shown. So yes, definitely a bug!

About a secondary preview monitor, does anyone have any good recommendations between the 300-450$ (£150-250) region? It's about time i got a new one.

Thanks again.