DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Burner satisfaction (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/506386-burner-satisfaction.html)

Roy Alexander March 26th, 2012 05:04 AM

Burner satisfaction

After a few months of trauma trying to get an LG internal burner to work with DVD architect 5 studio. I have finally had to but a new burner anoth LG but the latest available. Happily every is working very well and it even burns Aone BD-R discs. Now this is not a complaint but a request for a reasonable answer. With Win XP and the first LG burner and using DVD architect 5 studio I could burn Blu-ray High Def directly onto a Standard DVD-R disc as long as the video was less than 20 mins. The DVD disc however would only play back on a Blu-ray player. Now with my new set up the burner will not burn blu-ray content to a DVD disc, Either Architect or the Burner asks for a writable blu ray disc when a dvd is inserted. When burning a HDV video in Architect studio and I select Make a DVD, is the result HD or is the output reduced to Standard Def before burning to the DVD disc. Another case- If I burn an ISO which is HD to a DVD disc is the result HD or Standard def. I would like to know answers to these queries if someone can explain. Then I won't have to think about possible reasons anymore.

Jorma Nippala March 26th, 2012 05:22 AM

Re: Burner satisfaction

Roy,
see the recent thread
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-hap...avchd-dvd.html

Also see the Sony Knowlegdebase article link in the same thread.

Roy Alexander March 26th, 2012 08:05 AM

Thanks Jorma for your input, but it doesn't answer any of my queries. I'm still with VMS 10 platinum HD and the only thing I have changed in the set up is that I am now using Windows 7 instead of Win XP. So what's caused the change to the HD burning direct to DVD disc. I know how to burn an ISO to DVD. But I still want to know is the result HD or SD.

Jorma Nippala March 26th, 2012 08:14 AM

What is the build number of DVD A Studio 5.0 in your new set-up?

Roy Alexander March 26th, 2012 02:27 PM

Jorma. The build no. is 157. It used to be 128 until I changed to Win.7 and a forum poster told me to upgrade. I did and that's when the trouble started. The old burner, which I have put in another PC with architect 5 (128) won't work at all now. I suspect the upgrading has ruined it. cheers.

Jorma Nippala March 26th, 2012 02:55 PM

It seems that DVD Architect Studio 5.0 build 128 was the last one, where you were able to choose in Project Properties Disc Format > BD and Target Media Size (GB) 4.7 or 8.5. I did not update, but I gather that in the later builds (current build 157) this was dropped. Same goes for VMS 11 Platinum latest builds.
So you are not able to burn HD content to DVD within Vegas any more.

To quote more from the other thread, this is from SCS KB article linked there:
Burning AVCHD content to disc
Published 01/07/2009 | Updated 09/08/2011
How can I burn AVCHD footage to disc in Vegas Movie Studio Platinum or in Vegas Pro?
Our software actually burns Blu-ray Disc content to Blu-ray media, as opposed to burning an AVCHD disc as some software products do.
The first step is to successfully import your AVCHD footage into Vegas. If you are unsure how to do this, please click here to read how to do it.
Once you have imported and edited your footage and are ready to burn your Blu-ray disc, from the Tools menu, choose Burn Disc and choose Blu-ray Disc from the submenu to render your project and burn it to a Blu-ray Disc.

e.g. here's some more discussion about it
Sony Creative Software - Forums - Vegas Pro - Video Messages

Roy Alexander March 27th, 2012 01:55 AM

Thankyou Jorma. You have been very informative and helpful and I will no longer try to do the impossible. I am wondering whether it is a Sony ploy to make the customer buy expensive BD blank discs as apposed to being able to use cheap DVD blanks for short videos. Thanks again.