DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   How to convert a DVD movie to watch on my phone? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/507362-how-convert-dvd-movie-watch-my-phone.html)

Norris Combs April 28th, 2012 04:56 PM

How to convert a DVD movie to watch on my phone?

I'd like to do it just out of curiosity. DVD movie, I can rip it to an .iso or video ts folder. Which should I use? And after ripping, how do I import it to Vegas, so that I can render it to an appropriate format for the phone? Thanks,

Seth Bloombaum April 28th, 2012 06:30 PM

Re: How to convert a DVD movie to watch on my phone?

Assuming your DVD isn't copy-protected...

Use Handbrake to create a nice M4V using one of the presets for iPhone, then get it into your phone via iTunes.

That's the most common method for the most common smartphone.

Other phones? What do you have? Nokia has their own converter... Many phones are very picky for what they want to see, so a template in a more consumer-level shareware is frequently more straightforward than figuring out Vegas render settings. YMMV!

Laurence Kingston April 29th, 2012 12:47 PM

Anydvd from slysoft will bypass the copy protection from any DVDs you want to play or copy in your PC. Also handy for bypassing the forced previews at the beginning of the DVD.

David Jimerson April 29th, 2012 02:21 PM

With an Android phone, I just render out as Sony AVC, 640x360, with a bitrate of 768,000.

Then, I just drop it into the appropriate folder on the phone, name of which escapes me at the moment.

Norris Combs April 29th, 2012 02:26 PM

Thanks all for your help!
I have a Windows Phone 7 (HTC HD7). I also have AnyDVD for ripping.

Dennis Vogel April 29th, 2012 02:40 PM

Getting a little bit off topic here, but I also have a Windows Phone 7, Nokia Lumia 900 in my case. Good to see others who like the Windows platform.

To bring it back on topic, thanks for the tip about how to convert videos to view on Windows Phones.

D

Taky Cheung May 2nd, 2012 09:45 PM

I use handbrake too

Norris Combs May 3rd, 2012 11:32 PM

Update: I was gonna use Vegas to render to a compatible format for my phone, but couldn't import the VIDEO_TS file to Vegas. So I ended up using Nero to convert that file to .mp4. All's good, thanks!!!

Dennis Vogel May 4th, 2012 02:07 PM

If you're converting media for viewing on Windows Phone, this article might be useful:

Supported Media Codecs for Windows Phone

D