DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   I need to edit footage from a Canon 60d (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/511334-i-need-edit-footage-canon-60d.html)

Kevin Lewis October 12th, 2012 02:01 PM

I need to edit footage from a Canon 60d

This is the first time that I am editing footage from a dslr. I have searched the fourm and it seems that using cineform may be a good option. The raw files are way to cumbersome and are difficult to edit. I will also need to use either dual or plural eyes to sync audio. Is there anything that I need to consider before purchsing both programs? I currently use Sony Vegas HD and realize that I may need to get Vegas Pro so that Plural eyes in compatible. Is there a better option for converting the dslr files?

Nicholas de Kock October 12th, 2012 02:36 PM

Re: I need to edit footage from a Canon 60d

Kevin if you have a relatively up to date PC you should be able to edit 60D files in Vegas with no problem. Plural Eyes is worth every cent & I highly recommend it, if you edit video frequently you will never regret buying it. If your system is struggling to edit the 60D files another option is Cineform which works quite well. I edit my 60D files natively in Vegas Pro 11 & then render to Cineform. You can download Cineform for free from GoPro.

Jeff Harper October 12th, 2012 02:36 PM

depending on how many lines of video you have, a newer processor, along with a fast, dedicated drive for your video files should be able to handle at least two lines of raw DSLR footage with no conversion necessary.

Plural Eyes is wonderful, but it does not catch everything, just so you know. If you have clear audio on your cameras, PE should sync it up most times, but expect that it will miss some clips depending on the audio levels at different points.

Kim Olsson October 12th, 2012 02:43 PM

What computer spec do you have?
I do also have a Canon 60D.

My spec is:
Ivy Bridge i7 4,2Ghz
32GB ram
Ssd 128gb drive
NVidia GTX 670 oc

I have absolutely no problem at all videoediting the footage the camera spitting out (.mov)
I do record in 1920x1080 29,97fps and 1280x720 60fps.

In VP11, the videoediting is really smooth. Of course, with alot fx and different plugins/filters added, things can slow down. But thats unavoidable...

My personal feelings about cineform is none, because I have never tried it, and I dont know of its worth the money.
I would proberly try proxy editing first because its a free workaround of trying to work more smoothley.

You really only need Plural Eyes if you work with recording daily. Its really easy doing it manually for free. If you have multicameras it can come in handy.

Happy editing

Kevin Lewis October 13th, 2012 03:51 PM

Kim: Specs are: 4gb 500 gb hard drive, core two duo. This is noramlly fine for what I typically do which is edit hd footage on mini dv tapes.

Kevin Lewis October 13th, 2012 03:53 PM

Im currently using Sony Vegas HD and it is not recognizing the cineform file. Can it only be used with Vegas Pro? Also, does Cineform affect the audio or does it keep it the same?

Kim Olsson October 14th, 2012 01:04 AM

Hi. Your computer spec is identical to my old setup...
And that an very old computer setup which is several years old. I remember I bought my old Core2Duo E6700, 4GB RAM around 6 years ago. For modern editing that computer should be replaced for editing 1080p video with greater workflow.

The Core2Duo, was Intel's very first multithredded cpu (if you dont count the sunky dual core cpu).

So by time, they have modifed and improved the Architecture massively.

I dont use cineform, but according to their website they support the canon 60D, windows and sony vegas family.
It maybe dont support you old camera with mini dv tapes....
Someone else have to give more accurate answers about why it doesnt work for you.

Seth Bloombaum October 14th, 2012 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Lewis (Post 1758429)
Im currently using Sony Vegas HD and it is not recognizing the cineform file. Can it only be used with Vegas Pro? Also, does Cineform affect the audio or does it keep it the same?

Vegas HD should recognize it. It's just another codec to Vegas. I say "should", but I've not used HD, only the Pro versions.

You did restart your computer after installing cineform? Sleep or Hibernate don't count. A full restart is usually necessary for Windows to recognize the codec, which then allows Vegas to do so.

I'm not sure what audio codec is used in Cineform, and a quick search didn't reveal the answer either.

Kim is quite right; a core2duo is very old technology when it comes to editing modern video codecs. I say this from my personal experience and from staying in touch with the problems forum contributors were experiencing. Most anyone serious about editing AVCHD/MP4/h.264 sources has made the jump to i7 processors, with a few holdouts on quad-cores. I did. Everyone I know did. And if you peruse the archives of this forum, you'll find that many, many editors have dealt with what you're facing.

Lalo Alvidrez October 17th, 2012 01:21 PM

I currently use mpeg streamclip to convert my 7d footage to avi for editing in Sony vegas. Works really well and easy to use. BTW its a free download.