DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   ? about computer specs (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/511525-about-computer-specs.html)

Kevin Lewis October 19th, 2012 03:05 PM

? about computer specs

This is a follow up to my previous post about editing footage from a 60d. This will be my first upgrade since purchasing a dual core years ago. I want to be able to edit footage from the 60d and other demanding codecs without having to code to something else first. Here what i'm thinking about getting. Any thouhgts or comments would be appreciated:

HP Pavilion Desktop PC

•2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-2600 Processor -Extra speed and performance adapts to your needs while delivering spectacular visuals in a smooth, seamless flow
•Get powerful 64-bit performance with 8GB DDR3 system memory - 8GB PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM memory (2x4GB )(expandable to 8GB)
•2TB hard drive stores up to 452,000 songs or 362,000 photos
•SuperMulti DVD burner - Write: 16 max DVD±R, 12x max DVD±R DL, 8x max DVD+RW, 6x max DVD-RW, 12x max DVD-RAM, 40x max CD-R, 32x max CD-RW; Read: 16x max DVD-ROM, 40x max CD-ROM
•Front panel 15-in-1 memory reader makes it easy to transfer photos, music and other files to and from your digital camera and other peripheral devices
•Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit - Windows® 7 makes everyday tasks simple - and makes new things possible
•Handles multiple demanding projects easily and simultaneously
•Top-positioned power button enables convenient use
•Built-in valet tray on top of the tower provides convenient access and cable management for a variety of small peripherals and accessories
•Sliding panel offers quick access to front-mounted ports while keeping them hidden when they're not in use
•Features wireless LAN 802.11b/g/n networking
•NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 620 graphics card lets you take advantage of powerful graphics capabilities

Kim Olsson October 19th, 2012 05:31 PM

Re: ? about computer specs

That isnt a very great system or expensive one..
If you want the 2600, lookup 2600K. That cpu makes it easier to overclock if you have that in mind.
I would rather lookup the 3770k instead of the 2600k anyway.
That 2TB is all regular Harddrive. You should lookup a SSD disk for systemdisk.
I reboot my computer with my Intel 520 120Gb, in 20 sec. Faster application startup, toogle and response...
RAM is too cheap these days. 8gb is about $60. So advance up to atleast 16gb. Minimum 1600mhz.
The graphiccard is a low budget one. Might be enough. For Gpu acceleration or gpu rendering you should look up the reference card sony media software tested their benchmarks with. Gtx 570 I believe was the fastest one.
My GTx 670 is fantastic for gpu acceleration in workflow. But doesnt work for rendering.
For editing the .mov which the Canon 60D spitts out, its almost all about the CPU. Let the CPU be in the focus when spending money on the system.
That system build is also a very closed system. Hard to upgrade later if wanted. No more room for bigger graphiccard or cpu cooler..

Kevin Lewis October 19th, 2012 06:14 PM

AT this point i'm not looking for top of the line, just something that will allow me to smoothly edit dslr footage. WIll the configuration work?

Gerald Webb October 20th, 2012 02:12 PM

Hi Kevin,
I'm only offering this up as another opinion since I know when I'm buying gear I want as much input as I can get.....
Even if its not what I want to hear :(
I would have to agree with Kim, that is a very ordinary PC. Even 2 years ago it would have been an average build at best. And being HP I would bet its not a bargain at all.
You would do so much better if you bought parts from Newegg and assembled yourself, or even get your local PC guy to assemble for you.
Aim for something like this and adjust to budget-
120GB SSD
2 x 2TB 7200rpm Hard drives
Intel Core i7 3770K Unlocked Quad Core 3rd Gen Processor
at least 12 GB of 1600 ram (24gb if you can, 4gb sticks are so cheap)
Gigabyte or Asus board to suit
1000w Power supply
Best video card you can afford.
Get a nice big case with lots of air flow.
TBH anything less than this will be a pretty sad editing system, especially for 44Mbps Quicktime files in Vegas.
Cineform, Avid DNxHD, or any other intermediate would help you hugely if you do choose to go the old spec HP route. At least get a SSD system drive though.
Prob not what you wanted to hear, sorry.
Good luck with it.

Kim Olsson October 20th, 2012 03:44 PM

The computer system you are looking at, could be a brand new PC build from 2008.
Remember the Canon 60D was released at 2010.

For editing h.264 .mov format video files, a modern and high end CPU is needed for a great workflow.
h.264 is a delivery codec rather than editing codec. You should really be thinking of "proxy editing" or "Cineform editing" with that system...

You will be able to edit with that machine, of course. But I understand that you wanted a smooth editing system and wanted to edit other demanding codec's...

So for the question -"WIll the configuration work?"
Yes, it will work. But you might be disappointed..

You could simply change the configuration a bit, without raising the cost with so much...
Would you really need 2x2TB of harddrives?
Replace one of the 2TB with a 120GB SSD instead.
Go from 2600 to 3770k for almost no additional cost at all.
Go from 8GB 1333MHz to 16GB 1600MHz for like $50 extra
So with this change, you did get a better PC build, for almost the same amount...

This new changed setup, would look nicer to be editing with...
Harddrives can be upgraded later easily... Internal or external...

Kevin Lewis October 22nd, 2012 10:07 AM

Thanks for the input everyone, Its very much appreciated.

David Chien October 22nd, 2012 10:09 PM

Without trying for pricing or anything, here's a basic build to start with:
Shuttle SH61R4 Intel Core i7 / i5 / i3 / Pentium / Celeron (LGA1155) Intel Socket H2(LGA1155) Intel H61 Intel HD Graphics 2000/3000 integrated in the processor Barebone
$199.99
Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
$109.99
Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I73770K
$329.99
Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) ECC Unbuffered
$54.99
Corsair Force Series GT CSSD-F480GBGT-BK 2.5" 480GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) $399

Subtotal: $1,094.95 (representative of what you can get from any vendor DIY)
=================

Things to keep in mind:
1) Render speed is highly dependent upon CPU speed & cores, esp. if you can't accelerate the target output codec with a graphics card (GPU)!
Lots of things can't be accelerated with the GPU and you MUST have a fast CPU (sound, titles, etc).
Quad-core, 3rd gen. i7 is among the fastest out there, at an affordable price point.
(Yes, you can go crazy with mult-CPU 8+ core builds...)

2) Vegas 12 is Intel Quicksync accelerated for the usual MP4 outputs. Thus, you may not even need a graphics card if that's your main output codec! (Also, Quicksync in most cases is far faster)

3) The storage is balanced between a decent 7200rpm 2TB HD for main storage and 480GB SSD for processing video, the latter will definitely make a huge difference in speed. You'll need a LARGE SSD because of the huge space some codecs take (eg. if you decide you need to render to/from DNxHD/Prores/XDCAM/HDCAM later on).

4) 8GB ram to start, add more as you need later, but it's almost always the HD/SSD/CPU/GPU that's bottlenecking. You can try dumping small video files into RAMDISK to process for even faster than SSD speeds (RAMDisk - Software - Server Memory Products & Services - Dataram).

5) Add any DVD burner for <$20.
6) Add any GPU you desire, if the Quicksync isn't your cup of tea for $100-700+.

7) Honestly, you can get an extremely fast render box for $1000 nowadays and not break the bank. Keep in mind that faster new computers come out every year, and it's better to upgrade to a faster box in 2-3 years than build one that'll break the bank and cost $$$$$$$$$$ (and you may just need one once the 4K-33K camcorders arrive at a cheaper price point).

Renton Maclachlan October 24th, 2012 03:22 PM

I upgraded 6 months or so ago and got this great case: COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1

Heaps of room. Heaps of ventilation...