DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Rendering a SD video. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/511667-rendering-sd-video.html)

Norris Combs October 24th, 2012 08:33 PM

Rendering a SD video.
 
I have some 720 x 480 videos that I just finished editing. What is the "best" preset to use to get the highest quality from Vegas? I mistakenly used Main Concept AVC to get an .mp4 file, that file was unplayable. Then realizing that 720 x 480 is standard def, I selected Main Concept MPEG-2, with the maximum bitrate of 9,800,000 bps, average is 4,200,000 bps, and minimum of 192,000 bps. This render gave me an .mpg file, video is pretty bad, worse than the source (which is not that great to begin with). So, please help me to select which preset and which template to use.

Thanks!!!

Jeff Harper October 24th, 2012 09:40 PM

Re: Rendering a SD video.
 
select DVD Architect NTSC Widescreen Video Stream under Mpeg 2 and don't change anything.

Norris Combs October 24th, 2012 11:37 PM

Re: Rendering a SD video.
 
I did the render as you instructed, and the resulting .mpg file has worse video quality than the source .avi file. Can anything be done to improve the .mpg file?
Thanks,

Mike Kujbida October 25th, 2012 04:20 AM

Re: Rendering a SD video.
 
Norris, the render format you choose depends on what you want to do with the video.
If it's a DVD, then it has to be MPEG-2.
If it's for the web/YouTube/Vimeo, then MP4 is best.
If it's for archiving, it depends on what format your source footage was.

Norris Combs October 25th, 2012 10:16 AM

Re: Rendering a SD video.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida (Post 1760534)
Norris, the render format you choose depends on what you want to do with the video.
If it's a DVD, then it has to be MPEG-2.
If it's for the web/YouTube/Vimeo, then MP4 is best.
If it's for archiving, it depends on what format your source footage was.

Thanks Mike,

My purpose is to archive, these are videos of my son when he was an infant, back in 2001. The source footage is .avi from a JVC consumer camcorder bought in 2000 (forgot the model), so I think it's DV format. So what do you suggest I do for archiving?

Adam Stanislav October 25th, 2012 12:05 PM

Re: Rendering a SD video.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Norris Combs (Post 1760586)
I think it's DV format.

Donít just think what it is. Download MediaInfo and let it tell you exactly what it is.

Norris Combs October 25th, 2012 06:36 PM

Re: Rendering a SD video.
 
Adam,
I d/l MediaInfo and verified that the source footage is DV format, the files have .avi extension.
With that info, what should I render my project to, to keep it as high quality as possible for archival purpose?
Thanks,

Jeff Harper October 25th, 2012 06:59 PM

Re: Rendering a SD video.
 
Sorry Norris, my response earlier I thought you were making a DVD, don't know why I assumed it.

For highest quality of your avi files, uncompressed avi will be theoretically best, but the file will be unbelievably huge. Someone will chime in I'm sure with a specific recommendation.

Norris Combs October 25th, 2012 08:10 PM

Re: Rendering a SD video.
 
Jeff,
Thanks for your input. I did went ahead with what you suggested, to make a DVD to distribute for family members. Since DVD looks worse than the source, I'm just looking to archive the high-quality .avi source material.

Mike Kujbida October 25th, 2012 08:51 PM

Re: Rendering a SD video.
 
Norris, since your source video is DV-AVI, render to AVI using either the NTSC DV or NTSC DV Widescreen template for archive purposes.
There will be no quality loss between your source video and the copy.

Norris Combs October 25th, 2012 10:00 PM

Re: Rendering a SD video.
 
That was great, very quick from the timeline render to .avi. Thanks to all who responded.

Now I have many recent videos in AVCHD format, 1920 x 1080i resolution. What do I render to if I want to archive at the highest quality possible?
Can I render to .avi in this case?

Adam Stanislav October 26th, 2012 03:54 AM

Re: Rendering a SD video.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Norris Combs (Post 1760657)
Adam,
I d/l MediaInfo and verified that the source footage is DV format, the files have .avi extension.
With that info, what should I render my project to, to keep it as high quality as possible for archival purpose?
Thanks,

OK, so it is DV. The .avi extension only tells us the type of the container, it is the DV that tells us about the quality. Still, the question is really difficult to answer. I would certainly keep the DV-AVI originals as well as the project itself (the .veg file) in my archive. That would allow me to rerender it in the future to whatever format becomes available (I also keep all the older versions of Vegas on my system to make sure I can always rerender my archived projects).

And for the present usage, the format would depend on what you want to do with it, whom you want to show it to and how. MP4 seems to be the ideal distribution format these days.

Edward Troxel October 26th, 2012 09:34 AM

Re: Rendering a SD video.
 
Since you're starting with DV-AVI, render to DV-AVI for your archive. It will not actually need to "render", it will simply copy the sections you want to keep over.

Norris Combs October 26th, 2012 11:11 AM

Re: Rendering a SD video.
 
Ah, that's why it was so quick.

Norris Combs October 26th, 2012 11:14 AM

Re: Rendering a SD video.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Stanislav (Post 1760717)
OK, so it is DV. The .avi extension only tells us the type of the container, it is the DV that tells us about the quality. Still, the question is really difficult to answer. I would certainly keep the DV-AVI originals as well as the project itself (the .veg file) in my archive. That would allow me to rerender it in the future to whatever format becomes available (I also keep all the older versions of Vegas on my system to make sure I can always rerender my archived projects).

And for the present usage, the format would depend on what you want to do with it, whom you want to show it to and how. MP4 seems to be the ideal distribution format these days.

What would you recommend regarding my newer videos, all in AVCHD: what format to render the edited video to to retain the highest quality possible (for archival purpose, not for distribution)?
Thanks,


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:48 PM.

DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2020 The Digital Video Information Network