DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Using Dual Monitors with Vegas? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/511927-using-dual-monitors-vegas.html)

Chris Harding November 6th, 2012 06:26 PM

Using Dual Monitors with Vegas?

Hi Guys
I was just wondering if anyone has this issue (not a big deal but it's not right) On normal non-edit use I just use one 23" LCD (DVI cable) but for editing on Vegas I have a second 19" monitor (VGA) that has just the preview screen on it when Vegas 10 is running. By default I only turn on the 23" screen for normal duties (like now) but when I need to edit I'll turn on the 19" as well and then start Vegas ....Now!! when I turn on the 19" , the 23" goes blank and my desktop moves to the 19" screen so I have to right click and select screen resolution, then "Detect" and the 23" screen comes back and my desktop has moved back to the 23" screen.... and all is OK ...Vegas loads without an issue and auto moves the preview to the 19" on my right.
Anyone have the same issue where Win 7 "forgets" about the 2nd monitor Am I not setting the dual monitor setup correctly?? It's only a minor inconvenience but it would be nice to run on the main 23" screen and then be able to turn the 19" on without the main screen going blank and the desktop shifting to the 19".....Sometimes I can turn on the 2nd monitor and it's all fine but 50% of the time the Primary screen blanks out and I have to go thru the "detect" process!!!
Any hints here??
Chris

Seth Bloombaum November 6th, 2012 08:40 PM

Re: Using Dual Monitors with Vegas?

Not exactly your experience, but yes, I have had Win7 put my second monitor to sleep when I thought it shouldn't.

But, on a similar setup, I did have to go through designating one of my monitors as the "primary". I'm pretty sure I did this in the nVidia controls, but it might have been Win7.

Win7 is pretty flexible though, regardless of which monitor is the official "primary", it will jump around if it's turned off. That's a good thing, I guess. But a correct setting here should get the behavior you want when both monitors are on.

Gerald Webb November 6th, 2012 08:46 PM

Unrelated to Vegas, but the first thing I would try would be switching the video card outlets around.
My Hackintosh wont boot with my 1080p monitor in position 1, it wants to see the 2560 monitor there and there only.
Worth a try b4 the long trouble shoot begins.

Chris Harding November 6th, 2012 10:07 PM

Hi Guys

Under the Nvidia control panel if you select "Multiple displays" it shows both monitors but it does list the 19" first and the 23" second but in the configure box below they are correctly identified and "1" for the 23" and "2" for the 19" (smaller is on the right) and also shows the 23" as the primary display....I cannot switch the cables cos my card only has one VGA terminal and one DVI terminal so I have to run the 19" in VGA. It suscessfully detects both even though the 19" is current off!! If I turn the 19" on..it all works fine 99% of the time...Just now and again it needs to run thru the "detect" routine and loses the Primary display.

Now, dunno if this would matter but I am using an external USB drive for my projects ..I wonder if that causes any issues with detection as I usually turn on the drive, then the monitor and then load Vegas???
AFAIK the display has never lost one screen with the USB drive kept off???

Chris

Don Bloom November 7th, 2012 04:24 AM

I'm just seeing this and frankly since it's about 4AM I probably shouldn't even think of answering but don't you have to go into windows properties and extend the desktop. I know in XP that's what I had to do for duals. Then I simply set the Vegas interface up on the 2 monitors the way I wanted it.
Maybe I should go back to bed since I have a load-in and show setup tonight at 9PM. Running video world on Thursday at a big seminar.

Chris Harding November 7th, 2012 05:18 AM

Thanks Don

Sleep tight!!

I just turn the second display on and again the primary went blank and my desktop moved to the secondary display and I had to click detect again to get the primary display back again..after that both are fine!!

Chris

Dave Blackhurst November 7th, 2012 12:13 PM

When you physically turn off one monitor, it's "gone" to Windows, and that's likely where the "problem" arises. Multiple monitors can be a bit twitchy sometimes.

You might consider swapping your cables at the video card(s?) as suggested, I've got mine set up "backwards", but it works... The card will have a "1" and "2", as does Windows... but if the monitor on "1" is OFF, 2 becomes "1"... then if "1" comes back ON, it will likely default to "1", and 2 will be 2 again (did that make sense?).

Seth Bloombaum November 7th, 2012 12:19 PM

I'm not in front of my Win7 machine, but designating your primary display in windows display properties is where I'd look. Darn PCs want to think for themselves, but I maintain that I am smarter!

Donald McPherson November 7th, 2012 12:56 PM

If you swap the monitor cables. Did you know that in the settings page you can hold left click and move the monitors around.

David Johns November 9th, 2012 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Harding (Post 1762452)
I only turn on the 23" screen for normal duties but when I need to edit I'll turn on the 19" as well and then start Vegas.
Any hints here??

I usually switch on both monitors prior to starting the PC, then, once Windows has started up correctly, switch off the one I don't want to use. If I then want to use that second screen, I just switch it back on and Windows thought it was there all the time so nothing changes.

Regards
David

Jeff Harper November 17th, 2012 02:10 PM

When using one monitor or a dual setup, either way, I never turn monitors off, is not necessary, IMO. With a dual monitor setup it only adds confusion. It has occurred to me I have not turned off a monitor in years, FWIW.

Leslie Wand November 17th, 2012 04:57 PM

+1 jeff.

unless you have huge old crts ;-)