DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Settings for DVD AND Web? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/513912-settings-dvd-web.html)

Darryn Carroll January 30th, 2013 10:02 PM

Settings for DVD AND Web?

First shoot with FX1000 tomorrow and I have done a lot of posting and reading. Tomorrows project will end up both on DVD and the web. I will shoot with progressive set to OFF. If I use Sony Vegas to capture, are there certain settings I should set so I can end up with files that I can edit then use for both DVD and web?

5 weeks till first wedding, gotta get dialed in by then :)

Eric Olson January 31st, 2013 02:47 PM

Re: Settings for DVD AND Web?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryn Carroll (Post 1776245)
First shoot with FX1000 tomorrow and I have done a lot of posting and reading. Tomorrows project will end up both on DVD and the web. I will shoot with progressive set to OFF. If I use Sony Vegas to capture, are there certain settings I should set so I can end up with files that I can edit then use for both DVD and web?

5 weeks till first wedding, gotta get dialed in by then :)

Sony Vegas captures and saves the data sent from the camera without modification. However, the FX1000 has a setting to perform in-camera downconversion to SD upon export if desired. This setting allows you to use the same workflow as for your VX2100 cameras. As I suspect you want HD for the web, turn off the in-camera downconversion before connecting the camera to your computer. Then Vegas will capture exact copies of the HD mpeg2 transport stream files that were recorded on your tapes. This will be a good test whether your computer is fast enough to efficiently edit HD.

Darryn Carroll January 31st, 2013 07:23 PM

Thanks Eric, that explains a lot, however when I turn-off the down conversion, my Vegas Capture no longer recognizes or finds mt camera. I thought something seemed strange when it ingested at 720 X 480. Any thoughts on this problem?

Eric Olson January 31st, 2013 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryn Carroll (Post 1776457)
Thanks Eric, that explains a lot, however when I turn-off the down conversion, my Vegas Capture no longer recognizes or finds mt camera. I thought something seemed strange when it ingested at 720 X 480. Any thoughts on this problem?

What version of Vegas are you using? Does it support HD?

Darryn Carroll January 31st, 2013 08:47 PM

Ok, upon further inspection, I have Sony Movie Studio HD Platinum 11.0 and cant get it to recognize after I switch the camera to HDV output. I do see the camera in my Devices & Printers. I downloaded HDV Split and that worked fine. Obviously quite the difference in quality! I cant see the frame width/height details when I right click, there is nothing there in those 2 fields.

Good news is editing is fine! It ingests as AVCHD and its not bad at all.

I also used my Canon Vixia HF R300 and those files are a bit more sluggish to edit. Personally i don't like all clips as separate files, I think there must be some good workflow method of having them all as one.

UPDATE: Finally figured out capture issue, in the settings it was set to "external" capture device. Working now, but also saves scenes as separate files.

Adam Gold February 3rd, 2013 12:56 AM

That's how Vegas works. That's how almost all HD-capable NLEs work. That's how film works, too.