DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Ok, get ready to be blown away!!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/513964-ok-get-ready-blown-away.html)

Steven Davis February 1st, 2013 11:49 AM

Ok, get ready to be blown away!!!

Ok, I really mean blown away by crazy buggy Vegas.

I have a short 3 minute project, it has mixed media; five or so psd images, mostly HDV videoand three clips from a GoPro. I sped the three short GoPro clips up. When I went to render, I got that famous 'Not enough memory blah blah blah.' Needless to say, I knew it wasn't my machine memory problem. After spot rendering the project, I determined the culprit was the three 5 second GoPro video clips, took them out and the project rendered fine in just a few minutes.

Sooooooo, I had this error a couple of times over the years, once I had an entire wedding that I had to copy off a drive onto another drive to get past this error, and once I had a 3 minute commercial that had this error and I traced it to a single jpeg image.

I'd tell Sony, but I've done it in the past and their only solution was to format my machine. lol. That's funny.

James Manford February 5th, 2013 07:09 AM

Re: Ok, get ready to be blown away!!!

Vegas does wind me up.

BUT

I haven't had any severe problem yet.

I always save after every little change on the timeline. And the only error I get is the usual crashing error, where you have to close Vegas and re-open.

Jay Allen February 6th, 2013 11:11 AM

Im tired of sony telling me to do a fresh install of windows. Ver 12 is just broke!
im getting my workload done in 11 now.
its interesting that all my programs work except sony vegas pro 12 and yet sony tells me to do a fresh windows install. Im tired of sending in endless crash reports that seem to go nowhere, but we keep getting "NEW" features when the same old problems never go away.

Yes im blown away!!!! maybe to premier or avid

Steven Davis February 6th, 2013 11:25 AM

That's what happened when Sony bought it. That's Sony's answer for everything, and it's always wrong because after hours I always figure out it's Vegas' issue with some type of file or something. I really liked it once when they told me to reinstall my entire OS.

It's really sad, I use Vegas for its detail keyframing and Excalibur's multicam, but I'm not sure how much Vegas has changed for the better since Sony bought it.

Sony's lack of development and support is the reason I only update every two or three versions. They miss the point.

Don Bloom February 6th, 2013 12:46 PM

I jumped from Version 6, yep, 6, to 12 and just got the new update and to be honest, while it's been a bit slow for me work wise and I haven't used 12 as much as I would have liked to so far, I have only had 1 time where I had a problem with it and it was my fault. I got a click happy finger and Vegas locked up on me, but only that once. We'll I see what happens when I start beating it down with 60 hours a week of editing. Hopefully it will hold up. :-)

Gerald Webb February 6th, 2013 03:38 PM

Just so this isnt a complete Vegas whipping thread....
Ive done some pretty heavy work in the last few months and 12 has been the most solid version in a long time, for me.
I very rarely get a crash or hang, and when it does hang, it actually comes back in a few moments. Something that no previous version ever has.
Somes notes though-
I always have gpu turned off, with my 3930k it does nothing for me anyway.
I do reinstall Windows once to twice a year, i just consider it ongoing maintainance. You wouldn't run your car and never get it serviced, then complain when your driving experience becomes less than stellar.
I dont have old versions of Vegas installed, upgrade, move on. Dont drop a shiny new Vegas into a bucket of Vegas slop and expect great results. I know its a leap of faith, but ever since I started doing this on the advice of people more experienced than I, things have been a lot more stable.
IMHO Vegas 12 is a lot more stable than FCX (whuch I use a lttle on my Mac).
My 2cents
:)

Juris Lielpeteris February 7th, 2013 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerald Webb (Post 1777647)
Just so this isnt a complete Vegas whipping thread....
:)

Vegas is a great program, v12 I have never been hanging.
I currently live interferes with only one problem - color shifting in MC Mpeg-2 encoder for Bluray http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-hap...oding-bug.html

Edward Troxel February 7th, 2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerald Webb (Post 1777647)
I do reinstall Windows once to twice a year, i just consider it ongoing maintainance. You wouldn't run your car and never get it serviced, then complain when your driving experience becomes less than stellar
I dont have old versions of Vegas installed, upgrade, move on. Dont drop a shiny new Vegas into a bucket of Vegas slop and expect great results. I know its a leap of faith, but ever since I started doing this on the advice of people more experienced than I, things have been a lot more stable.

I've never understood these two:

1. Instead of rebuilding the entire machine, why not install everything once and the make an image of the drive. Ready to "rebuild" the machine? Just restore the image and you're back to your initial starting position and are done within a few minutes instead of a few days and everything is already activated. If you want the new build to be slightly different, make the changes after the restore and make a new image for the next time.

2. I've never seen any conflicts with having multiple versions installed. Right now on one machine I have Vegas Pro 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12 installed. Sometimes it's very helpful to be able to test things in alternate versions of Vegas.

Gerald Webb February 7th, 2013 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Troxel (Post 1777804)
1. Instead of rebuilding the entire machine, why not install everything once and the make an image of the drive. Ready to "rebuild" the machine? Just restore the image and you're back to your initial starting position and are done within a few minutes instead of a few days and everything is already activated. If you want the new build to be slightly different, make the changes after the restore and make a new image for the next time.

Agreed completely. I've got a hard drive in a plastic bag in the cupboard with all drivers and all my basic apps installed. Should my C drive fail or become corrupted, swap it in, and good to go in 10 mins. When I said re install Windows, it may have been more accurate to say, Go back to the point of a clean install.
This software is awesome, and free-
Macrium Reflect FREE Edition - Information and download

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Troxel (Post 1777804)
2. I've never seen any conflicts with having multiple versions installed. Right now on one machine I have Vegas Pro 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12 installed. Sometimes it's very helpful to be able to test things in alternate versions of Vegas.

Interesting, Can we do a poll on here Edward? I would like to keep them all installed, but have been letting the older versions go on advice I received a couple of years ago. Be good to see how many people have them all installed with no issues, against how many people just running the latest version.

Seth Bloombaum February 7th, 2013 04:44 PM

I go back several versions. Seems that by the time I need to reload windows (the old fashioned way) I have 3 versions going. Then when I reload I just use the most recent.

Never had a problem with keeping these up.

Vegas 12 has thrown in a new concern - it's 64-bit only. I recently had to revisit an old V10 project that included source clips with Lagarith codec and TSCC (Camtasia) codecs. Lagarith worked flawlessly, they have both 32 and 64-bit versions, yay!

TSCC I had to drop back to V11-32. I guess that will be the last 32-bit product, I think I'll have to keep that installed for years to come.