DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Preview image explained? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/514572-preview-image-explained.html)

Mike Prendergast February 25th, 2013 01:12 PM

Preview image explained?

1 Attachment(s)
Can anyone explain what is going on in my screen grab from Vegas Pro 11? I have avi files in the timeline and sometimes but not always ( i don't think i'm doing anything different) when i pause playback the preview appears as in the attached image. What is the split screen at the bottom? And in this case the preview is showing a clip on top from further down (> 1 min) the time line not where the cursor is located (00:55:35)

Gerald Webb February 25th, 2013 02:23 PM

Re: Preview image explained?

Are they Cineform files?
I had this in version 11 only with Cineform. it went away with an update.
Haven't seen it since in Vegas 12.... and hope not too.

Mike Prendergast February 25th, 2013 02:56 PM

Yes they are Cineform avi files.

Mike Prendergast February 25th, 2013 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerald Webb (Post 1781015)
Are they Cineform files?
I had this in version 11 only with Cineform. it went away with an update.
Haven't seen it since in Vegas 12.... and hope not too.

Thanks for the reply and letting me know you have seen this. Do you know of any problems caused or is it just a quirky preview issue? Once I move the cursor the preview behaves as expected.

Gerald Webb February 26th, 2013 01:44 AM

Hey Mike,
When it happened to me it was pretty bad, I had a lot of crashes and a few cineform renders (when displaying this) would crash Vegas on re-import.
Have you upgraded everything to the newest version?
Cineform has so many advantages, First Light, HD Link etc, but there were some dark days back then with the random black frames and the above issues.
Good luck.

Mike Prendergast February 26th, 2013 09:07 AM

I have the latest update of Vegas Pro 11 and Cineform. Is there anything else to update? I'm using Cineform NeoScene purchased version (5.6.1.339). And not the GoPro free one.

Gerald Webb February 26th, 2013 02:53 PM

Only guessing, but maybe the problem is the combo of Vegas 11 and Cineform.
Maybe they never continued to troubleshoot once 12 was released.
Your options,
Re-install Vegas,
Re-install Cineform,
System restore (if you know there was a time when it wasn't happening).
File a ticket with Sony......and wait :(
File a ticket with Cineform, if in business hours Jake will normally get back to you within the hour (best customer service on the planet IMO), but I'm pretty sure I was told that the issue is on Sony's side. :(
Re-install Windows :(
And after wasting all that time the issue may not be fixed (I tried all but Windows re-install),
Upgrade to 12.
Sorry, thats all I can offer.
Good luck.

Mike Prendergast February 26th, 2013 03:04 PM

Gerald, Thanks for the list of options. I'll give the Vegas and Cineform re-install a try first and see how that goes.

Mike Prendergast March 5th, 2013 09:07 AM

Gerald, I did submit a ticket to Cineform and got a quick reply from Jake. He had not seen this problem before but said I should use the I-frames option in Cineform for conversion and that did the trick. Problem went away. I even loaded a non-I frame file into the same timeline as I-frame converted files and only the non-I frame files displayed the problem in that project. Took me a while to re-convert all my files and test this out but it appears to be a robust solution. Thanks for your help.