DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Animated Cool3D titles in Vegas look terrible ! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/51833-animated-cool3d-titles-vegas-look-terrible.html)

Steve Clee September 27th, 2005 09:27 AM

Animated Cool3D titles in Vegas look terrible !

Okay I am not sure if I am doing this right but I make an animated
tilte in Cool3d, I export it to animated GIF and import that into
the timeline in Vegas..Looks fine until I overlay that title over a vid
clip and I am seeing alot of "tearing" at the edge of the titling.
I used the anti alias option in cool3d but that doesnt seem to help...

I noticed that in Cool3d there is a way to render out to avi..If I do that
is there a way to have the background transparent ? If so will that get rid
of the torn edges ?

Cheers

SC

Edward Troxel September 27th, 2005 10:19 AM

Render to Uncompressed AVI. That allows for transparancy. There may be some option you have to check to get the transparancy information added.

Steve Clee September 27th, 2005 11:40 AM

Alright I'll give that a try..

Cheers

SC

Jeremy Davidson September 27th, 2005 11:52 AM

Agreed. Your problem is probably due to the fact that GIF only supports 8-bit color (like 256 color mode)... at least last I checked.

Also, I don't know if you have to do this in Vegas, but in Premiere you have to select "Alpha Channel" in the transparency settings. Look around for something like this if you get a black background instead of your video. Like Edward said, you may have to turn this on in Cool3d as well.

Have fun!

Edward Troxel September 27th, 2005 11:58 AM

Yes, if the background "appears" black, you can right-click it, choose "Properties" and then change the Alpha Channel setting to the appropriate value.

Steve Clee September 27th, 2005 12:55 PM

Thanks guys

Cheers

SC

John Rofrano September 27th, 2005 01:19 PM

Depending on the version of Cool3D you will have to do one of two things. If it’s the earlier Cool3D, when you render to uncompressed you also have to set the bitdepth to 32bit. This is very important because it defaults to 24 bit and will not give you the alpha transparency. (8bit Red, 8bit Green, 8bit Blue, 8bit Alpha = 32bits)

If you have the new Cool3D Production Studio, there is actually an option on the File menu to output to video with transparency. They also have an NTSC filter and 29.97fps rendering. Cool3D Production Studio is really designed to be used with an NLE but I find the original Cool3D does just fine.

~jr

Edward Troxel September 27th, 2005 02:20 PM

Thanks for the additional information, John. I remembered there was an additional step but it's been a long time since I've looked at Cool3D.

Steve Clee September 27th, 2005 04:26 PM

Bingo, I just found it under the advanced tab on the Video options in Cool3d. You are right, the default was 24 bit. Changed it to 32 bit and imported the avi over to Vegas..Had to change the alpha channel setting to Straight (unmatted) and I was home free..Thanks for all the input...

Cheers

SC

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Rofrano
Depending on the version of Cool3D you will have to do one of two things. If it’s the earlier Cool3D, when you render to uncompressed you also have to set the bitdepth to 32bit. This is very important because it defaults to 24 bit and will not give you the alpha transparency. (8bit Red, 8bit Green, 8bit Blue, 8bit Alpha = 32bits)

If you have the new Cool3D Production Studio, there is actually an option on the File menu to output to video with transparency. They also have an NTSC filter and 29.97fps rendering. Cool3D Production Studio is really designed to be used with an NLE but I find the original Cool3D does just fine.

~jr