DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Just a quick sharing about UHD or 4K in VP13 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/523263-just-quick-sharing-about-uhd-4k-vp13.html)

Kim Olsson May 14th, 2014 04:40 PM

Just a quick sharing about UHD or 4K in VP13

Today my new Panasonic GH4 arrived. I am very exited =)
Many people are afraid that their old computer cant match their new 4K camera when it comes to editing.
I had to test if my old computer was up to the match for 4K material!

"Old computer"
3770K 4.7GHz
32GB RAM
Nvidia 780Ti

I have imported a couple of clips (3840x2160, [.mov], [100mbps]) on the timeline on a couple of video tracks... Absolutly no lagg or delay in editing.

Workflow isnt as smooth as when edit with 1080p clips, but I edit in realtime (29.970) frames without FX in "Preview, Full".

Still realtime preview when added a couple of color correction FX...

Lowered to "Preview, Half" when added some FX from Sapphire for full previewing (29.970 frames).

For normal editing with just CC filters, cutting, a couple of videotracks, its really smooth on my old Intel 3770K..

UHD and 4K isn't just for men, its also for babies =)

Mark Holmes May 15th, 2014 06:55 PM

Re: Just a quick sharing about UHD or 4K in VP13

My experience as well - but I returned my GH4 today. Way too much rolling shutter for my taste. I'll make the jump to 4K when I can find a suitable camera that has a global shutter.
It really is an amazing camera for the price though. For now I'll keep shooting on two GH3s.

Kim Olsson May 16th, 2014 10:00 AM

Oh, sorry you werent satisfied.
I never use any kind of fast pans in my filming, so I dont bother.

/Kim

Mark Holmes May 16th, 2014 03:39 PM

It was evident in more than fast pans. I almost feel like there could have been a problem with the camera. Any movement at all, however slight, resulted in an almost jello-like movement.
Being on the cutting edge of tech is getting a bit old, as well. I feel like 1080p or 2K is fine for my uses. There is much more at work with these images besides resolution.
I just watched the first two episodes of Penny Dreadful on Showtime, marveling at the camera work and finish on a 110" DLP projector system - letting me examine the image for any grain and or noise. All I could see was, well, perfection. I wasn't at all surprised to find it was shot on the Arri Alexa w Cooke primes. Another favorite show, Game of Thrones, is shot on the Alexa as well, and of course the Alexa is only 2K. I'm holding off on a camera that has that creamy, rich look of the Alexa. The GH4 was not it, But for my event videography work the GH3 will work just fine.

Phil French June 7th, 2014 11:26 PM

I can't remember exactly what my pre-i7 Intel quad core is (I am on the road), but it seems to choke on the 4K that my new GH4 is outputting. It could be that I am not running enough RAM anymore (I think 8 gigs). Friends of mine (who are gamers) have all switched to AMD 8-core processors and mother boards and I am thinking of going this route... I have been having some other issues anyway. I am running Vegas 13.

Have been enjoying my GH4 - spent hours yesterday filming the nesting and egg laying of a painted turtle. I can't wait to view it on a decent monitor when I get home. I have been very happy with the quality of the wildlife video that I have managed to get so far (mostly birds).

Mike Kujbida June 7th, 2014 11:48 PM

Phil ( and others with lower powered computers who are interested), Vegas user Nick Hope posted an interesting workaround on the Sony Vegas forum on how he got his old Q6600 to handle GH4 footage. It involves a fair bit of work but it can be done.

How to edit GH4 C4K footage on an ancient computer