DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas artifacting into the wrong video in preview window (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/526299-vegas-artifacting-into-wrong-video-preview-window.html)

Adjul Gardner January 4th, 2015 08:21 PM

Vegas artifacting into the wrong video in preview window

Hi,
I've had this happen with Vegas 11-12 for a while now.

I'll have a series of clips in the track, and playing them back, suddenly an artifact will start to emerge, and within 1-3 seconds the pixels will fill in and another cut from the same track will start playing.

This generally happens within 5 seconds of the track starting, and it will always be the same clip that plays over the correct footage.

When I delete the "ghost" clip that overlays the correct one, the artifact-replacement phenomenon stops. But this is annoying, because oftentimes I need to create new .vegs, and migrate everything over to it, and then often, still the same clip will do the artifact thing.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Adjul

Christopher Young January 5th, 2015 01:40 AM

Re: Vegas artifacting into the wrong video in preview window

"...always be the same clip that plays over the correct footage."

Next time this happens try right clicking on the phantom clip and select "Select in Project Media List." Once you have found the clip in Project Media, assuming it is there, right click on it and select 'Explore Containing Folder."

If you do find the clip in the folder you are directed to shut down Vegas and try one of the following.

1) Rename the clip open Vegas and see if the problem exists. If it does shut down Vegas and try

2) Cut and paste the clip to another folder. Open Vegas and see what happens.

If neither of the above works you could try the following. To do this you will have to make sure that 'Show hidden files and folders.' is checked under 'Folder Options' in Explorer.

Now go to:

C:/ Users/ User Name/ AppData/ Sony/ Vegas Pro/ 12/ Media Pool Thumbnails.

Delete everything in that folder and re-open Vegas 12. It will now rebuild all the thumbnails needed as you open a project. This only works for v12 as v11 has a different way of handling thumbnails. Sometimes a corruption here in v12 can cause weird timeline behavior.

I would suggest it is a clip naming corruption in the database of the project and there is something Vegas does not like about the name of this phantom clip.

If all this fails try a Vegas total reset. NOTE! This will set all Vegas settings back to default so if you want to save layouts etc go to View/ Windows Layouts/ Save Layout As... and navigate to your desktop or somewhere suitable for later access and save your layout.

Now hold down you CTRL & SHIFT keys and start Vegas. It will prompt you with 'Do you want to reset all Vegas Pro preferences to default values?' with a check box called 'Delete all cached application data.' Tick this box and proceed. Load your previously saved layout then open a problem project and see how you go.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Adam Stanislav January 5th, 2015 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher Young (Post 1872599)
Now go to:

C:/ Users/ User Name/ AppData/ Sony/ Vegas Pro/ 12/ Media Pool Thumbnails.

Chris,

On my system the path is C:\Users\Adam\AppData\Local\Sony\Vegas Pro\12.0\Media Pool Thumbnails.

Note the Local before Sony, and the 12.0 rather than just 12.

Adam

Christopher Young January 6th, 2015 05:15 AM

My apologies you are right. Was doing it from memory! Should have fired it up and checked :(

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Adam Stanislav January 6th, 2015 09:16 AM

No need to apologize, Chris. :) It happens to all of us. Besides, not every Windows computer uses the same directory layout (though most probably do since most Windows users do not even realize they can change the default layout).

Jack Zhang January 15th, 2015 02:53 AM

Does this happen at the best preview quality at full resolution? "Preview" has been notorious for reading H.264 files with broken GOPs (as in Long-GOP) and muddy data interpolation.

If it doesn't happen on render, you can assume it's a Vegas preview issue. If it happens on render, then it's Vegas' IO plugins' issue and you still have to delete the ghost clips.