DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas Edit vs Pro (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/532900-vegas-edit-vs-pro.html)

Ron Coleman October 19th, 2016 10:11 AM

Vegas Edit vs Pro

I missed the Oct 16 deadline for the upgrade and now the Magix site shows a $250 upgrade price for Vegas Pro. Vegas Edit is $149. What would I be missing if I took Edit instead of Pro. Would I be better off waiting for the next version? Seems kind of pricey for an upgrade.

Rainer Listing October 19th, 2016 04:46 PM

Re: Vegas Edit vs Pro

Upgrade extended to 31 October. No change to prices. Vegas Edit price is still $199. Difference between Edit and Pro is a few extra plugins. It's very pricey for an upgrade that doesn't have a whole lot of features. Has a few bug fixes, which we shouldn't have to pay for, and judging by the Magix forum introduces a few new bugs which hopefully will be fixed in the next version. Main trouble with Vegas apart from the bugs is once you get used to it, all the rest look clunky. If it's working for you, why upgrade? (I'm waiting for the next version).

Jo Ouwejan October 20th, 2016 02:50 AM

DVD Architect is also missing in the Edit version.

Leslie Wand October 20th, 2016 04:48 AM

+1 all rainers observations

Mike Kujbida October 20th, 2016 04:49 AM

If you already have DVDA 5.2 or 6.0, you're not going to miss anything. MAGIX calls it DVDA 7.0 but the only difference is the new owner's name on it.

Ron Coleman October 23rd, 2016 04:02 PM

I got another e-mail today offering the Vegas Pro upgrade for $199, but when I follow the link to the Magix site it says $249. The e-mail doesn't indicate that the price is for Vegas Pro Edit, but it looks like that's what they are offering. Kind of like a bait-and-switch. Seems pricey to pay $199 for just the edit program, especially if it is mostly just bug fixes.

The only reason I'm even considering upgrading is that I'm still on Vegas 11 and there are some bugs that were never fixed in that version. Some of the editing and rendering functionality just doesn't work properly. When I edited some video recently, I got squiggly video at some of the edit points.

I don't need DVD Architect and still have the version that came with Vegas 11. I was really just hoping to get a current version of Vegas that works properly.

Sony offered much better upgrade deals than this. Guess I'll have to think it over between now and October 30. I'm not sure what to think of Magix, but this doesn't seem like a good way to retain customers. I may have to look at other options. Would be interested to hear some additional thoughts from other users.

Ian Stark October 24th, 2016 01:39 AM

I agree that the pricing is steep for a seemingly minor upgrade, but if I read it correctly you're looking to jump from version 11. I wonder if the $199 price is for people upgrading from v13? Just speculating.

Ron Coleman October 24th, 2016 06:11 PM

Well they did e-mail me the upgrade offer, so I would think it applies to me. I need to decide by October 30 whether to take it and which product. Sounds like Edit is all I need, but I wonder if it's worth $199. For all we know, they might come out with another version next spring or summer and try to gig us for another $199. Hard to say, since we don't have any experience with Magix. Sony always offered an upgrade of the entire suite for $137 for a limited time when a new version came out.

George Dean October 25th, 2016 10:01 AM

The current deal $199 Edit, $249 Pro, and $349 Suite, was labeled as an upgrade, the purchase did not require a previous version serial number, so anyone can buy it. That to me is a fire sale promotion, not an upgrade, although they continue to state it is an upgrade for previous users. Of course this deal isn't as good as the pre-release deal, buy v13 for $199 and get v14 free when released, and that also was available to anyone without the requirement of a serial number, and it was also labeled as an upgrade!!

Magix has offered, via these deals, a good price for the lame product to new users, but at the expense of the loyal community of previous Vegas Pro owners. I feel the integrity of their business practices has been broken. Sony did put aside development improvement of Vegas for a sale to someone. Magix picked it up, made a lame effort at version 14 to soon. They could have promoted v14 to release in January 2017, giving them time to make giant improvements, well worth the retail of $595 and promoted it on an introductory of $299 to new users and $175 to previous Vegas owners. If they had improved the GPU acceleration, and a few other major improvements, I think they would have been heroes.

I think they tripped on their own feet coming out of the gate and are now missing the boat!

Ron Coleman October 29th, 2016 11:26 AM

Looks like the deadline has been extended to November 18. I didn't realize this offer didn't require any previous serial numbers. It's disappointing that having paid for the full version and several upgrades over the years doesn't buy me anything.

Leslie Wand October 29th, 2016 05:18 PM

they can extend it indefinitely for all i care - there's no way i'm going to pay for a bug fix that introduces worse bugs.

i'll look at 15, but i don't like the way magix has gone about handling ANYTHING so far...

Ron Coleman November 4th, 2016 09:50 AM

The only reason I'm even considering it is the problem I mentioned above where some of the edits get messed up when rendering a video. I'm leaning against it at this point, but I haven't made a final decision. Last time I dealt with a German software company was when I had some problems with the Nero burning software. They advertised "Satisfaction Guaranteed" on their website, but they ignored my request for a refund when I wasn't satisfied. I know it's a different company, but maybe there are cultural differences in the way these overseas companies handle customer complaints. Not sure what to make of Magix at this point.

George Dean November 4th, 2016 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Coleman (Post 1923181)
The only reason I'm even considering it is the problem I mentioned above where some of the edits get messed up when rendering a video.

Hi Ron,

Here are a couple thoughts..........

Download the trial version of Magix Vegas Pro 14 to check if it will overcome the problems you are having with Sony Vegas Pro 11. If it does, and you feel it is worth $199 for Edit, $249 for Pro, or $349 for Suite, you have until at least November 18th to purchase.

B&H Photo is still offering download version upgrades to Sony Vegas Pro 13 for $179.99 and Sony Vegas Pro 13 Edit for $154.95.

Good Luck with your decisions.....

Ron Coleman November 4th, 2016 09:35 PM

Thanks for the ideas, George. I'll start by trying the trial. I didn't realize there was a free trial available.

Adam Stanislav November 5th, 2016 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Dean (Post 1923190)
Download the trial version of Magix Vegas Pro 14

Where can you download it from? I have never found that option anywhere.